Trat: Tourists have fled to Koh Chang as rumors of island shutdown from Sunday abound

webfact

Trat: Tourists have fled to Koh Chang as rumors of island shutdown from Sunday abound

2pm.jpg
Picture: Manager Online

Thai media reported that tourists have been making their way to the holiday island of Koh Chang all week amid news reports that the island is to enter a lock down phase from April 5th, Sunday. 

Many believe it will be very difficult if not impossible to enter Koh Chang for a month after Sunday. 

A local industry leader Saksit Mungkarn said there were less tourists - both Thai and foreign - crossing to the island yesterday. But there had been many in the preceding 2 to three days. 

There are thought to be 10,000 mainly foreign tourists on Koh Chang at the moment.

There are 10,000 people on the island to look after them. 

There are 8,000 local residents. 

Responding to questions that tourists were moving on from Pattaya that is about to be locked down, Saksit claimed that the authorities are ready for that. 

After Sunday it could be very difficult to enter the island, said Manager, with a full inquiry done by health officials into where visitors have been in the preceding days. 

Source: Manager Online

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-04-03
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

how? tent cities? evacuations? ???

i'm all ears on this one.. a potential humanitarian crisis could be incoming, here, pattaya and phuket

Could end up like Lesbos!

(Only joking!)

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Letseng said:

I would put all new arrivals into 14 day quarantine. Do you really think all arrivals (10.000?) are virus free. Upside is that Koh Chang healthcare system can't collapse. There is none.

There haven't been 10,000 arrivals in Koh Chang. In another post someone suggested they are counting people who moved through the province to other destinations.

Look on Agoda and see the low cost of rooms and high availability. Looking around it seems to be quieter than at low season.

45 minutes ago, Letseng said:

I would put all new arrivals into 14 day quarantine. Do you really think all arrivals (10.000?) are virus free. Upside is that Koh Chang healthcare system can't collapse. There is none.

And i would kick that farang without mouthmask from the island....stubborn people are not welcome.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, camble said:

I spent a relaxed week on Koh Chang two weeks ago, except while I watched the news in horror on CNN. Paid off-season rates in high season. It's as good as any place to be now.

IMG_20200315_190109.jpg.fe22306b40f6e237512fae429fdc45b5.jpgIMG_20200315_135443.jpg.6bb7362fe227916c2e3221fbcaa42f94.jpgIMG_20200317_161553.jpg.001c87ff253ef05c2067928f91461b14.jpgDSC_5279.JPG.921f67446162a32adc27629945ef2162.JPG

Looks great but seafood pizza? Think I'll pass....

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Visited once three years ago and personally i thought it was a dump...and an overpriced dump at that !   Can't imagine why people would want to be stuck there for a month or more ?

Totally agree,was there for 4 days,never again

• Like 1

Some troll posts have been removed. 

A post using a video from an unapproved YouTube source has been removed as well as the off topic replies. 

This topic is about:

Thai media reported that tourists have been making their way to the holiday island of Koh Chang all week amid news reports that the island is to enter a lock down phase from April 5th, Sunday. 

Many believe it will be very difficult if not impossible to enter Koh Chang for a month after Sunday. 

A local industry leader Saksit Mungkarn said there were less tourists - both Thai and foreign - crossing to the island yesterday.

I admit a month ago it looked best to return home if you had any decent life there at all.  I also think  koh chang looks like a good idea for a month.  Staying at some of those resorts ,  in your own  bungalow, it would be easy to have big social  distance except at meal time.    Now if you do get sick I imagine their are not many vents on the island but do you farang think you will get a vent in XYZ city  if the crunch comes?  Haha

I wish I had spent time in TH in the 90's.   As a man who has lived 80%of his life in the West near  wilderness and unspoiled places and a lover and diver of the ocean, wooden huts on the beach sounds great.  I also still have this island lifestyle fantasy.   Probably since  Gilligan's island.   Who was that little dark hair sensible one?  That was my choice.  

I like to imagine life 200 years as go when I travel.  Life must have been hard in Thailand but I have met s few gals  who I can imagine to be hard working partners.   Of course the heat and mosquitoes soon come to mind. 

Edited by Elkski
  • Like 1