Army to monitor implementation of night curfew nationwide

webfact

Army to monitor implementation of night curfew nationwide

By The Nation

800_4be65be5595001a.jpg?v=1585902005

Army chief General Apirat Kongsompong

Royal Thai Army has appointed military units to survey areas nationwide from 10pm to 4am, Army chief General Apirat Kongsompong said on Friday (April 3).

He made his remarks while presiding over a meeting of the Army Operations Centre through video conferencing to follow up on the Covid-19 pandemic at the Royal Thai Armed Forces Headquarters on Rajdamnoen Road in Bangkok.

The move follows up on the government’s curfew order prohibiting people from going outside from 10pm to 4am.

“We have appointed the Directorate of Operations to order the deputy director of the Internal Security Operations Command in each Army region to cooperate with provinces to conduct a survey,” he said.

“Besides, the Directorate of Operations is responsible for setting up checkpoints throughout Bangkok, while all units will conduct a survey between 10pm to 4am two to three times.”

He added that the Army has prepared a disease investigation form to keep a check on military personnel and families who have risk of Covid-19 infection.

“We request every unit to study the details and appoint commissioned officers to investigate the disease,” he added. “In the investigation, the parents or relatives must also be asked whether anyone is infected with Covid-19 or not.”

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30385347

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-03

4 minutes ago, HaoleBoy said:

I figured the Army - ApiRat - would get involved at some point.  Now with the Army in the streets around the country what else is next .....

Wonder who the next pm might be?

1 hour ago, Thailand said:

Wonder who the next pm might be?

Nobody in the current crowd. Especially not Prawit who may very well have to leave the country. I feel that Prayuth will suffer the same fate as wife number 3.

The wheel is turning. And I have to admit to being impressed with the timing. Politically astute, a master stroke. Opportunism at its very best. BUT. It will not be liked, though whether the hoi-polloi will do anything about it is a whole different question.

Edited by ParkerN
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

I think little P, might just regret getting the army out on the streets, events might not go his way if ole Apirat has anything to do with it.

Hrmmm. And Apirat has, and will have, quite a lot to do with it. Apirate telegraphed this tur of events a while bacl, though of course, the timing wasn't altogether within his control.

Little P did not make the decision but was informed of it. Mr Piggy and the others were not, not directly anyway.

Meet the new boss... same as the old boss...

22 minutes ago, webfact said:

“We request every unit to study the details and appoint commissioned officers to investigate the disease,” he added

The disease in this case is not the virus.

And not surprising news at all. Now they get to show off their new armored toys. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, colinneil said:

I think little P, might just regret getting the army out on the streets, events might not go his way if ole Apirat has anything to do with it.

He is after only a civilian now and under this emergency must obey the army?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MaxLee said:

The next HE, who must not be named got what he wanted....

Didn't he just?

Big-time.

And it ain't over 'til it's over. Watch for the 24-hour (with some exceptions like getting food/drink) curfew threatened by Prayuth, Apirat will be needing that. Time to check and replenish the food stocks.

By the pricking of my thumbs, something surprising this way comes (with apologies to Ray Bradbury). Big changes-a-coming.

Edited by ParkerN

29 minutes ago, webfact said:

“We have appointed the Directorate of Operations to order the deputy director of the Internal Security Operations Command in each Army region to cooperate with provinces to conduct a survey,” he said.

Is the word "survey" a Thai word for "reconnaissance"?

1 hour ago, anterian said:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quite so. Answers on a postcard...

I just heard a sound like thunder. I think it was Prayuth's knees. And Prawit's, and Anupong (though I think he will be on the side of the new boy).

Edited by ParkerN

17 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

The disease in this case is not the virus.

And not surprising news at all. Now they get to show off their new armored toys. 

They  been waiting long enough to get them Apaches in the Sky, and the Strikers trundling through the streets.

33 minutes ago, HaoleBoy said:

I figured the Army - ApiRat - would get involved at some point.  Now with the Army in the streets around the country what else is next .....

Honestly - with no respect for the police - that's really the only option in Thailand to enforce pretty much anything. It's not like Duterte saying that he'll get anyone violating curfew shot. He did that before so people take him seriously. Here government can say anything they want, but over 50% of population plain ignore it, knowing there'll be no enforcement and if there is, they know a cousin, uncle, brother, friend... working for police somewhere to make the problem go away. A man with a machine gun who looks like he's not kidding is a very different story.

I live near Pratunam intersection and on normal day, people drive through red light, in wrong direction from one way street right pass the policeman. They just don't care about all the violations they've just done. If you try to cross the road near the junction, there's always fear some nutcase driving through red and knocking you down even with police in the box in intersection. However after redshirt fiasco here, when army was placed to man the traffic... there wasn't a single hero I've seen who would dare to drive through when the man with machine gun was standing there. That's authority. Police has none. So using army to enforce things is actually only way you can get anything enforced here.

And I'm sure Thailand isn't the only country like this.

1 hour ago, HaoleBoy said:

The usual is a new constitution. Nifty way to get it under 100% usurper control again, covert coup.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DrTuner said:

The usual is a new constitution. Nifty way to get it under 100% usurper control again, covert coup.

Not so very covert, though it may start that way. They'll gain confidence quite quickly, and Apirat is not one to allow his light to be hidden under a bushel for very long.

1 hour ago, BobbyL said:

Apirat and his 'sacred' establishment (as he likes to refer to them) are finally doing some work.

Prayut should be worried if the rumours are true. 

Prayuth should be worried anyway. Plenty to be worried about. His star is waning and when one's star is waning the whole family should run. He really hasn't done a very good job for his bosses.

15 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Covert covid19 coup?

Perhaps he needs the PM jet to take him and family to Germany for sanctury after moving assets

Curfew, what curfew?

Last night i counted 3 motorbikes driving past our home, between 10.30 and 01.00, so much for a curfew.

How many more after i went to sleep? Who knows.

None of the offending bikes were police, 1, 20 year old girl next door, second 2 young lads, third middle aged man.

You may ask how i know, well checked playback on the gate camera this morning.