No port in a storm: Australia tells virus-stricken cruise ships to go home

ravip

10 minutes ago, tropo said:

Any of these laws are quite irrelevant. Who's going to force Australia to accept ships full of infected people? 

Absolutely correct. Laws are becoming irrelevant all over.

Only when it affect oneself, the story change.

2 minutes ago, ravip said:

Absolutely correct. Laws are becoming irrelevant all over.

Only when it affect oneself, the story change.

And especially Thailand that is in a current "state of emergency", which gives the PM the same powers as the old Article 44 gave him prior to elections.

8 minutes ago, tropo said:

And especially Thailand that is in a current "state of emergency", which gives the PM the same powers as the old Article 44 gave him prior to elections.

As humans, where ever we are, we got to tolerate this - of course here at TVF, lets turn a blind eye to other countries and bash TH!

Yes, this world is a circus with many clowns! 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, gearbox said:

So many accusations on TVF that Thais are racist, xenophobic, etc..... I still I don't remember Prayut to tell openly to all foreigners "Time to go home".  ScoMo however doesn't polish it too much:

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/go-home-scott-morrison-tells-international-visitors-20200403-p54gu2.html

"At this time, Australia must focus on its citizens and its residents to ensure we can maximise the economic supports that we have," the Prime Minister told reporters in Canberra on Friday.

There are up to 1.6 million temporary visa holders in Australia who are not eligible for social security benefits and face a narrowing window of opportunity to secure a flight home.

I can imagine the comments if Prayut says "Thais first, the rest <deleted>"

He said there would be no financial assistance to foreigners in Australia and that if they could not afford to stay then they should head home...I don't see prayut and the government here lining up to give money to foreigners either so why should foreigners in Australia EXPECT free money from the Australian Government!!!

Also it was not that long ago when Thailand Refused cruise ships to dock because they had infected on board...In fact nearly ALL countries are refusing cruise ships with infected onboard these days!

Edited by theonetrueaussie

1 hour ago, ravip said:

As humans, where ever we are, we got to tolerate this - of course here at TVF, lets turn a blind eye to other countries and bash TH!

Yes, this world is a circus with many clowns! 

Did you think I was bashing Thailand by mentioning the PM's executive powers in a state of emergency?

It's a bit more severe than most other countries, no matter how you want to spin it.

8 minutes ago, tropo said:

Did you think I was bashing Thailand by mentioning the PM's executive powers in a state of emergency?

It's a bit more severe than most other countries, no matter how you want to spin it.

Ooops, no I don't want to spin anything nor do I want to get in to a spin with you, either. As I am sure you are aware of, whatever the laws are anywhere, the politicians will do as they want and how they want... we see this happening everywhere today.

Just that, here on TVF that most posters like to make Thailand as if it is some sort of a black hole where any foreigner who steps in is whisked away and literally 'raped' and sent off ruined - and all by foreigners living in Thailand! 

• Thanks 1

OK, thanks for the clarification. I like to view everything from an international viewpoint. I'm usually the one rejecting the general "this is Thailand" sentiment every time something happens here that upsets foreigners LOL.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, AussieBob18 said:

Aust has changed tact after the Ruby Princess fiasco that let 100s of corona infected people into Australia, when the ship's crew said there were none (which is now a police investigation).  These ships all bypassed other countries in the hope to get their problems dealt with by the Australian medical system - but with no Australians on board.  They have been offerred support and help to go back home, but they want to burden the Aust medical system with thousands of non-Australians and Australia was not one of their ports of call - they chose to come to Australia - and were rejected by others.    

It's "changed tack".

A literary metaphor-but a practical procedure for changing bow to wind by sailing from either the starboard to the port tack or vice versa.

Australia should allow the passengers to land and quarantine them appropriately.

Edited by Odysseus123

23 hours ago, gearbox said:

So many accusations on TVF that Thais are racist, xenophobic, etc..... I still I don't remember Prayut to tell openly to all foreigners "Time to go home".  ScoMo however doesn't polish it too much:

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/go-home-scott-morrison-tells-international-visitors-20200403-p54gu2.html

"At this time, Australia must focus on its citizens and its residents to ensure we can maximise the economic supports that we have," the Prime Minister told reporters in Canberra on Friday.

There are up to 1.6 million temporary visa holders in Australia who are not eligible for social security benefits and face a narrowing window of opportunity to secure a flight home.

I can imagine the comments if Prayut says "Thais first, the rest <deleted>"

If you read the article fully, foreigners that can not support themselves for the next six months are being "advised" to go home, same as all embassies are advising.....it's not a blanket go home foreigner statement.

22 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

It's "changed tack".

A literary metaphor-but a practical procedure for changing bow to wind by sailing from either the starboard to the port tack or vice versa.

Australia should allow the passengers to land and quarantine them appropriately.

Ever heard of “head for home”. If you seriously reckon they would risk another Ruby Princess you don,t know politics!