Poll shows strong backing for curfew

Jonathan Fairfield

Poll shows strong backing for curfew

n2.jpg

Most of the respondents of a Super Poll opinion survey backed the Thai government's curfew order, and believed China had the best practices in tackling the Covid-19 crisis.

The survey polled 1,055 respondents from March 30 to April 2 on which countries had the best practices to deal with the Covid-19 crisis.

Some 56.8 of respondents said that China had the best methods, followed by Japan 11.5 per cent, Taiwan 10.4 per cent, South Korea 6.5 per cent, and Singapore 4.9 per cent.

Meanwhile, 78.6 of respondents said that they agreed or strongly agreed with the government’s curfew order prohibiting people nationwide from going outdoors at night, while 16.5 per cent of respondents moderately agreed and 4.9 per cent disagreed.

In addition, 98.8 per cent of respondents said that they agreed to strongly agreed that the government should provide full support to medical personnel in both government and private hospitals, while 0.7 per cent of respondents moderately agreed and 0.5 per cent disagreed.

Some 78.8 of respondents said that they agreed to strongly agreed that the government should stimulate the economy by supporting and promoting online business, while 18.1 per cent of respondents moderately agreed and 3.1 per cent disagreed.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30385416

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-04

On 4/4/2020 at 3:26 PM, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Most of the respondents of a Super Poll opinion survey backed the Thai government's curfew order,

The curfew itself achieves very little except stopping overnight parties.

Educating people how to protect themselves is much better.

Teach them how to social distance properly, at home and in public.

Wear a mask so as not inhale or exhale infectious substances.

How to be personally hygienic at all times, these measures will be enough not to transmit the virus from person to person.

• Like 2

Why having a poll on curfew? Ridiculous attempt to affect peoples opinion? Agreeing with MrWhisper that Thais cannot be supposed to have that information or maybe the poll was taken in Bangkok among the so called better educated.

All this stupid panicking over this virus and some official even talking about a 24/7 curfew.

After keeping borders wide open to Chinese, now suddenly there should be maximum protection?

Now with 2170 cases and 23 dead, the Thai percentage of deaths is 1.06% on cases. That is about the lowest in the world. Those 23 would have died anyway from a severe cold or influenza.

If the data has not been manipulated........then there is just no need for panic measures other then the measures advised by most countries. Well, you know those by now.

I am smelling bad policies.

Edited by hugocnx
  • Like 1

I'd say South Korea/Singapore got it right ... as in aggressive mass testing very quick with affirmative action where needed. Both these countries seem to have dodged the bullet through this fairly well. However, I think many hundreds of thousands could well have had it already and just had no symptoms or mild ones and barely even noticed it. I reckon the virus was doing the rounds long before everyone entered panic mode in January ... perhaps since early November even.

Also, here in Thailand, the virus has spread but nothing like some other places. Yes, testing has been lamentable but considering the hopeless reaction the authorities here managed until like a week ago, there should be people falling in the streets on a massive scale and the numbers should be sky-high in hospitals (but hasn't happened). This leads me to believe there is some truth in the heat/humidity theory that the virus thrives less well is such places. Doesn't mean you can't get it but it must be harder otherwise it should be a total fc$k-up here ... way more than it is or they could hide.

On 4/4/2020 at 3:51 PM, Justgrazing said:

Says a lot of the grasp of those polled if they sincerely believe China has been totally up front about this .. The mortality rate alone takes some believing set against those tested when compared to the the death rate in other countries .. China imposed a total lockdown for 2 mths with no exceptions to try and curb it .. 

It would be interesting to know how many of the respondents will still cheerily agree with China's approach if ( when ) that comes to Thailand ..  

I would rather take my chances with the virus than submit to the Country of Corona Pandemics police state.

• Thanks 1