Still No Luck Opening An Account With My Non-imm O.

Hi All,

i put a thread up a little while ago asking if i could open an account on a NON-IMMIGRANT O MULTIPLE ENTRY VISA (1 year) the responce was great but today i've been to 4 different banks and am still having no luck. They all keep telling me that i need a work permit, is this a new law? or am i missing somthing? I live in On Nut on Sukumvit road, has anyone else tryed opening an account in BKK lately without a work permit and if so have you had any luck? if you have please tell me where i need to go.

Any advice would be fantastic.

Chris.

I opened an account at Kasikorn recently - the branch on soi 3 (I think) less than 100m from sukkhumvit Rd. I didn't even need a visa, or a certified copy of passport.

Bangkok bank will definitely open an account if you have a certified (by your embassy) copy of your PP. If they give you any trouble, you can call 1333 (their helpline) who will confirm it to the branch staff. I did this on the day I opened the Kbank account, but decided not to open the account due to the certified passport query,

Krung Thai head office (corner of soi 3 on sukkhumvit) will also do it, but you don't get an ATM card.

Tere is no law that requires a work permit. It is only some bank's stupid policies, or certain bank branches stupid/lazy staff.

I should add that K-bank didn't require a proof of address either - just *an* address (in thai) - I could't pronounce my address properly to the staff, so I called my wife on the phone and she pronounced it properly. It was all done, with ATM card issued in around 30 mins.

Try Bank Of Ayudhya on Sukhumvit 77 ( Onnut soi 23 ) , I opened an account about 8 months ago there on a visa exempt stamp showing only my passport . Needed to fill out a form written in Thai and english . The whole process took about 20 mins and had a keycard as well . So far no problems with transfers to this account from OS .

I know that they probably have a few more guidelines since I opened mine , but at least they seem farang friendly .

I also opened an account at the Kasikorn bank by our house in Suphanburi with just a passport...no visa, no muss nor fuss...

I opened an account in Suphan a while ago on the Non-O, and I also got a free clock.

I also opened an accoung at BBL on Sukhumvit near Soi 8 about a week ago - no problem, still with a Non-O

I was at the Thai Consulate in the US this week and found something interesting. I only noticed it because of your earlier post.

In the "Thailand Travel Guide" published by the "Tourism Authority of Thailand" which I assume you can get at any consulate. It plainly states:

"Non-residents are allowed to open foreign currency accounts with any commercial bank on Thailand. As a special gesture to non-residents, no restrictions are imposed on the maintenance of and withdrawl from the account, as long as the funds originate from abroad"

Not sure how much that will help but it seems the law is on your side.

I don't understand why the OP is having problems opening an account. I also have a non-imm O visa and regularly open new accounts at different banks/branches for different reasons and have never had a problem. Most recently I opened an account at Bangkok Bank on Sukhumvit at soi eight and it was very straight forward. Maybe the OP should go to a a bank in the tourist area where they may be more up to date with procedures. Alternatively go to HSBC on Rama IV where there will definitely not be a problem.

Edited by chiang mai

I don't understand why the OP is having problems opening an account. I also have a non-imm O visa and regularly open new accounts at different banks/branches for different reasons and have never had a problem. Most recently I opened an account at Bangkok Bank on Sukhumvit at soi eight and it was very straight forward. Maybe the OP should go to a a bank in the tourist area where they may be more up to date with procedures. Alternatively go to HSBC on Rama IV where there will definitely not be a problem.

Hi Chiang mai,

i'm going to take your advice and head of down to the tourist areas, i think i'll start with BKK bank on soi 8 and work my way down, i'll let you know how i get on.

Thanks for the advice.

Chris.

Hi All,

i put a thread up a little while ago asking if i could open an account on a NON-IMMIGRANT O MULTIPLE ENTRY VISA (1 year) the responce was great but today i've been to 4 different banks and am still having no luck. They all keep telling me that i need a work permit, is this a new law? or am i missing somthing? I live in On Nut on Sukumvit road, has anyone else tryed opening an account in BKK lately without a work permit and if so have you had any luck? if you have please tell me where i need to go.

Chris.

Chris, John here (managed to lose your number and Stu's. Soi 3 mate, take your Mrs along - piece of cake, or the one near the end of 81.

Hi All,

Chris.

Chris, John here (managed to lose your number and Stu's. Soi 3 mate, take your Mrs along - piece of cake, or the one near the end of 81.

Hi John,

i tryed the one at the end of 81 and had no luck, i was going to go down to BKKB soi 8 then soi 3 if still no luck. Anyway i went to SCB at soi 99 and asked them but they said no so i said no problem my Mrs would like to open an account instead then, so i fill in the details, chose my own password, got internet banking and got the full benifits of a Thai, i will go to soi 3 after songkran to try and get one in my name but for now problem solved.

Chris.

No shirt, no shoes, no service.

:o

Hi, i was waering shoes, jeans and a polo shirt.

Just trying to cover all the bases here. This type of inquiry comes up every 30 days or so. And the general consensus is always -keep on trying, because I was able to get my account at...... branch of ...... bank.- So, somewhere between the 1st and 100th bank branch you try, rest assured that you'll eventually get an account.

Good luck.

:D

Opened an account with ATM and internet banking at Krung Thai Bank (in the countryside of Isaan, Khun Han)

They did not care on the visa status, only wanted a copy of the passort foto page and a copy of the ID of the Thau where I stated I had an adress.

Lucky as it is the only bank in the town.

I opened an account at Kasikorn recently - the branch on soi 3 (I think) less than 100m from sukkhumvit Rd. I didn't even need a visa, or a certified copy of passport.

Bangkok bank will definitely open an account if you have a certified (by your embassy) copy of your PP. If they give you any trouble, you can call 1333 (their helpline) who will confirm it to the branch staff. I did this on the day I opened the Kbank account, but decided not to open the account due to the certified passport query,

Krung Thai head office (corner of soi 3 on sukkhumvit) will also do it, but you don't get an ATM card.

Tere is no law that requires a work permit. It is only some bank's stupid policies, or certain bank branches stupid/lazy staff.

This is another example of hit and miss regulations,. is it me or is it getting more like they like us less by the day ? ( making things difficult )

I have only been in Thailand 6 weeks and tried to open account with non-immigrant visa with Bangkok Bank in Sri Thep, Petchaboon. No joy!! Had to go to British embassy for letter (1700 baht) plus expense of staying overnight/travel etc. to Bangkok.

Visited same bank following week and opened two accounts and now just collected ATM card. Branch manager very friendly after all done correctly.

If you want some real fun try and open a post office box number in local post office!! Had to get Thai wife of another Brit friend to open, cost 500 baht.

Edited by phutoie2