Who's still getting out to ride their bike?

On 4/11/2020 at 10:45 AM, kurtcap said:

Assuming? Are you unaware of the amount of accidents on thailands roads?

No, I am not unaware. But you know very well that we are not talking about road accidents in general, we are talking about cycling accidents versus accidents that happen while at home. 

So it seems you aren't provide any evidence to back up your assumption? 

30 minutes ago, JungleBiker said:

No, I am not unaware. But you know very well that we are not talking about road accidents in general, we are talking about cycling accidents versus accidents that happen while at home. 

Coincidentally

Had two accidents in Thailand in the last 12 years  on the cycle, both my own fault with no other third party involvement!

Had two very very painful accidents in the home in the last few weeks and also my own fault!

Edited by n210mp

47 minutes ago, JungleBiker said:

I am not searching through to find specific bicycle evidence in regard road accidents, if you require that as opposed common sense regarding accidents in Thailand then maybe common sense evades you.  Let's make it simpler for you. All people have been requested to stay at home unless essential, is that enough for you? Or are you special? 

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

I can't drive a car or motor bike, and so I have been cycling nearly every day of my life since I was in my teens.  Now I am in my 40's, and in all that time I have had NO serious accidents on the bike, and less then 10 minor accidents such as falling off on loose gravel, and going to sleep while cycling and ending up in a hedge lol.  

However I have had many nasty accidents in my home and garden, and one as a passanger on a scooter.   It's my experience that riding a bike is much safer that staying at home and doing DIY or gardening, or even just falling down the stairs.

Where was that photo taken?  It looks a lot like a place near my home in Chiang Mai Doi Saket area.  

Sorry, no cigar.  lol    I did once live in Doi Saket and used to love riding up and around the

Kuan Mae Guan  ( dam) .  If you haven't done it,  you can ride up to the dam, then go left for a bit where there is a half gate.  Lift the bike over and ride around that side of the lake.

Really nice !      

The photo posted is from Ban Hong area..... (Lamphun province)    It is the Lee river (meh nam lee)

• Like 2

I've been getting out to ride almost every day since I bought a used bike from a forum. I enjoy setting off at sunrise, about 5:45 or so because it's nice and cool, there's less traffic, and fewer people sitting out at the front of their houses shouting things at you as you whizz by.

First few rides were a baptism of fire for me, not looking after myself for a few years really set me back a long way. Day one I think I managed about 1km and was coughing and spluttering, now settling in to some nice loops through the villages which are about 20-35km. Wanting to enjoy my riding more also provides a very good psychological reason to not smoke or drink and try and eat a bit healthier too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I went up to the supermarket that I normally go to - it's probably the 6th closest supermarket, and also has the advantages of hills on the way there, and downhill on the way back.  I think its slightly quieter than most, and I know where most things are.  Also I can bring the trolley out to beside the bike, so don't need to carry the shopping so far.

From the road going past the concrete batching plant at the old quarry, you could not see any damage from the fire in the workers' shanties a day or two back; going up past our office, I thought that the traffic was busier than last week, as people learn of that as an alternative route to the closed main road from the highway.

There was still plenty of beer in the supermarket, though the shelves looked slightly sparser than usual - maybe because of the time of day and stock management, rather than an effect of the brewery suspensions; anyway, I've got plenty of beer till the end of the Movement Control Order, but I Baden Powelled a couple of six-packs in case it gets extended.

I got stopped at the police road block outside the MRT station - I think they were lonely and bored, as there was no queue of traffic - which was actually a bit disconcerting; I could remember that motorbikes went to one side, and I was going to pass to the left of their tent, then I saw that was for Ministry of Health and Fire Brigade only, and I slowed down and hesitated.  The officer kindly pointed to come through under their canopy, so we would be out of the sun.
" Where you go?"  / "Just coming back from shopping at Jaya Market at top of hill"
" Where you come from?" / "TTDI"

"No! What country?" / "Scotland"

"Have a nice day!"  / "Thank you - good bye" 

I'm definitely losing fitness with this reduced mileage; maybe I should start going backwards to Jaya Market so that I have the hills on the way home with full panniers

• Like 1

On 4/9/2020 at 1:50 PM, rumak said:

i feel sorry for the bikes, who are used to being out a lot more.   so sometimes I just open the garage and let them go out by themselves

IMG_1439.JPG

My road bike has been sulking since I've been on the shopping bike for Essential Journeys only.

IMG_1285.thumb.JPG.5955ab42962416ca6661b6d64ae692b3.JPG 
It's not as if I don't have a rack for it.  But the drop bars won't take a basket, and the rack I have is probably not man enough for two cases of beer and a week's fruit and veg.

If I'm going to add insult to injury, I quite enjoy riding the shopping bike, with the slightly more upright position, and easier to stand up in the pedals.  and the wider gearing for going up hills with a serious case of alohol abuse on the back.  and the cockpit layout, with the thumb and trigger finger shifters and the brakes there as well, and you can fang it towards the traffic lights, and look around and judge the traffic and brake and change gear all at the same time....

To make matters worse, it's just been serviced (the road bike) - you can see, it even looks clean.
It's not even been out the aparment since I swapped the front wheels.  

I'm feeling guilty now; derelict in my duty and negligent in my care...

SC

5 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

To make matters worse, it's just been serviced (the road bike) - you can see, it even looks clean.
It's not even been out the aparment since I swapped the front wheels.  

I'm feeling guilty now; derelict in my duty and negligent in my care.

your bike is looking quite bored.   time to take her out !   

On 4/22/2020 at 4:50 AM, rumak said:

your bike is looking quite bored.   time to take her out !   

I think I'll take her out for a video conference on Sunday; that might not sound at first reading like much of a ride, but we'll need to go past Sid's On The Hill to stock up on Guinness, or cider in Take-away Bottles.

This Sunday, I'm planning on going backward through the Time Tunnel.  The motorcycle lane past the road toll might be closed, but I'll just fang it through the toll gates.  There might be a police road block at the tolls, but I'll be going downhill, so maybe I'll pause and try to ad lib some justification, or maybe I'll DukesOfHazzard through the barriers.

Since I don't have a GoPro, probably the former,  

remember, you don't need epic rides.  healthier if you don't.

1.  20 minutes is the key.  BUT you must really suffer.  no fake suffering

2.  rest 10 minutes.  Then suffer 20 more minutes.  

done.  

this will get you fitter if done 2x a week.  And less time on the road with cars.  If you want to just pedal around, i think that's way more dangerous.  consider walking.  and if you want to go slow, consider running.    had probably almost 10 acquaintances DIE from cycling-related injuries.  None from running-related.  

of course, age plays a HUGE role.  I'm talking to the 40+.  If under 40, crush 1000 kms a week, whatever.  been there, done that, now i have the experience to share.  

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

remember, you don't need epic rides.  healthier if you don't.

1.  20 minutes is the key.  BUT you must really suffer.  no fake suffering

2.  rest 10 minutes.  Then suffer 20 more minutes.  

done.  

Hills are great for interval training, an hour of up and down Pratamak hill area is about the best around.

Outside Pattaya there is a 16km forest track near Silverlake, problem is there are so many hills,50+ on the circuit that the heart doesn't have time to recover

• Like 1

Did 35km this morning before breakfast. This involved 2 punctures, one of which was a massive gash caused by a sharp piece of metal which completely destroyed a brand new innertube that I only installed last night. Nearly veered off the road trying to avoid what to me was a very large snake, and went past one dead cat and one dead puppy. Non-drive side crankarm worked loose which was odd, had to stop at a motorbike shop to get them to tighten it and the guy has clearly overtorqued it and stripped my BB thread.

Not looking like a good day. Think I'm going to stay home for the rest of the day.

• Like 2

On 4/17/2020 at 5:56 PM, SteveK said:

I've been getting out to ride almost every day since I bought a used bike from a forum. I enjoy setting off at sunrise, about 5:45 or so because it's nice and cool, there's less traffic, and fewer people sitting out at the front of their houses shouting things at you as you whizz by.

First few rides were a baptism of fire for me, not looking after myself for a few years really set me back a long way. Day one I think I managed about 1km and was coughing and spluttering, now settling in to some nice loops through the villages which are about 20-35km. Wanting to enjoy my riding more also provides a very good psychological reason to not smoke or drink and try and eat a bit healthier too.

Outstanding! It really is good for the heart, and the soul :thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, Dap said:

Outstanding! It really is good for the heart, and the soul :thumbsup:

It has become something of an addiction for me, there's a real sense of accomplishment in being able to blast up a short climb which only weeks before had forced me to get off and push.

It's not only the riding, I also enjoy the tinkering with the bike and regreasing all the bearings, resolving the creaking noises etc.

I was forced into having a rest day today because my legs felt like they were made out of lead, and I have not enjoyed it.    

• Like 2

On 4/25/2020 at 11:37 AM, BritManToo said:

Age 64 .........

10Km at dawn, 10Km at dusk, every day, just circling the moobaan on my Giant Anyroad.

It's a bit dull, I'd prefer to cycle into the mountains and jungle more.

IMG_20200423_174017.jpg

I love the sweep of the top tube into the chain stays of the Anyroad; I also like the brake repeaters on the handlebar.  I was going to get one, but it was getting near to Christmas, and they had no L in stock.

Our Movement Control Order will be a Conditional MCO from Monday which means we are back to work, and restaurants can open, though only until 8 pm.  I'm going to have to up my game if I'm to cycle back from the office and get blootered in Sid's by 8 pm.

I went round to the supermarket on Saturday, but my heart wasn't in it.  I'd Baden Powelled enough beer to last for the full planned MCO until 12th May, with a comfortable margin, I'll probably buy sandwiches or skip lunch at the office, and the restaurants will be open when I get back.  There was no queue to get into the supermarket, and I was in and out like a burglar.

I went back again today to reconnaisance the road blocks for tomorrow morning, to advise my colleagues who will have the burden of having to drive from home.  The roadblocks were still there, but when I asked the bloke in charge (I think he was in charge - he was sitting on his own in the shade at a desk), he said "Today, last day.  Tomorrow, all gone".  I'm glad they were there, though - it's the only conversation I've had, some days.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

I love the sweep of the top tube into the chain stays of the Anyroad; I also like the brake repeaters on the handlebar.  I was going to get one, but it was getting near to Christmas, and they had no L in stock.

One of those with a flat bar would be alright.