RIP John Prine

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I had never heard of him either. There are gaps in everyone's knowledge. Sorry for your loss.

He does have a similar timbre to Johnny Cash, not as deep.

He was just a nice guy. He will simply be missed. Not as deep as JC? Daddy sang bass...

Edited by Cryingdick

13 minutes ago, vogie said:

Seen Nanci Griffith quite a few times, she did quite a lot of touring in the UK, she always sang John Prines 'The Sound of the Speed of Lonliness' RIP.

Quite an appropriate song for the present times.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

Guitar good

Voice average

It grows on you. I listened to it many times on the Mekong. There's a fire at the junction why do you do the things you do? I was looking for mercy and all they ever sent me was you. Great rain...

Jimmy bought the liquor honey, I brought the cups and ice, let me tell you a funny story why can't you treat me nice?

Edited by Cryingdick
  • Like 1

If this guy would be anywhere near JC or BD, then I guess he would have been known in wider circles. However, he´s got something that makes you want to listen. So, let´s say RIP, and may he continue to sing with the angels.

7 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

If this guy would be anywhere near JC or BD, then I guess he would have been known in wider circles. However, he´s got something that makes you want to listen. So, let´s say RIP, and may he continue to sing with the angels.

He played with all those names. Tom Petty etc. He has a body of work respected worldwide. The musical community around the world will grieve him.

Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan have covered his songs.

Edited by Cryingdick

32 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

He played with all those names. Tom Petty etc. He has a body of work respected worldwide. The musical community around the world will grieve him.

Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan have covered his songs.

Yep, people played with Michael Jackson too. It still doesn´t mean they are in the same league.

I don't think Prine was ever in it for the money. He wrote songs for other artists too, notably Cash. Kristofferson, Dylan, Presley, Springsteen, Elton John, Roger Waters were all fans of his. He must have been mildly popular as there was extensive coverage on his passing on the US networks. 

In the UK, Bob Harris played his stuff regularly on his radio show, that's where I became a fan. RIP JP. 

• Like 1