RIP John Prine

2 minutes ago, phutoie2 said:

I don't think Prine was ever in it for the money. He wrote songs for other artists too, notably Cash. Kristofferson, Dylan, Presley, Springsteen, Elton John, Roger Waters were all fans of his. He must have been mildly popular as there was extensive coverage on his passing on the US networks. 

In the UK, Bob Harris played his stuff regularly on his radio show, that's where I became a fan. RIP JP. 

I first heard of him in a pub in the Yorkshire Dales many moons ago. We were talking about organ donations and my mate said that he was going to leave his knees to the needy, brilliant, asked him where he got it from and he said it was from one of John Prines songs, never heard of him at the time but soon made up for it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Yep, people played with Michael Jackson too. It still doesn´t mean they are in the same league.

Yep it's considered art which I've heard is in the eye of the beholder.I'm sure John Prine didn't really care much about what league he was considered by people to be in.What is obvious to me is he enjoyed bringing his music to people who enjoyed it.Getting up in front of people to perform music that one has created puts him in the league of people that have the courage to do so and although I only recently became aware of him when my sister posted that he was sick I listened to several clips and easily recognised that he has amazing talent and really enjoyed listening and watching him perform,so to me he is easily in the same league as Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan even though he might not have gained the same recognition as those two. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Yep it's considered art which I've heard is in the eye of the beholder.I'm sure John Prine didn't really care much about what league he was considered by people to be in.What is obvious to me is he enjoyed bringing his music to people who enjoyed it.Getting up in front of people to perform music that one has created puts him in the league of people that have the courage to do so and although I only recently became aware of him when my sister posted that he was sick I listened to several clips and easily recognised that he has amazing talent and really enjoyed listening and watching him perform,so to me he is easily in the same league as Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan even though he might not have gained the same recognition as those two. 

Either he is in the same league or not. That is not a personal opinion. It´s an opinion set by the masses. That means he must have reached the same recognition as those two to be in the same league. Ain´t that a fact.

4 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Either he is in the same league or not. That is not a personal opinion. It´s an opinion set by the masses. That means he must have reached the same recognition as those two to be in the same league. Ain´t that a fact.

Yes lots of eyes and lots of beholders.It is indeed the personal opinion of many but none the less based on personal opinion.

10 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I bet if you asked either Dylan or Cash what their opinions of Prine are they would have nothing but the highest accolades for him. Prine is one of those artists who will probably become much more famous after his death.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Yep, people played with Michael Jackson too. It still doesn´t mean they are in the same league.

Prine is to the artists I mentioned like Prince would be if compared to Jackson. Talent wise you could argue either way. But lyrically Jackson really? His lyrics were amongst the weakest around. You listen to his hits and it reminds me of being 13. Beat it? Thriller? 

He was a great performer. Although I would trade a little talent as I don't tend to idolize pedophiles. Michael will always be a tarnished name. Sometimes you can make up a little talent gap with a touch of class and humanity that is bestowed on your fans and brings people joy. That's Prine.

I won't link the video here because it is explicit but if you want a humorous take on Jacko. Youtube Jon Lajoie Micheal Jackson.

Edited by Cryingdick

2 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

Prine is to the artists I mentioned like Prince would be if compared to Jackson. Talent wise you could argue either way. But lyrically Jackson really? His lyrics were amongst the weakest around. You listen to his hits and it reminds me of being 13. Beat it? Thriller? 

He was a great performer. Although I would trade a little talent as I don't tend to idolize pedophiles. Michael will always be a tarnished name. Sometimes you can make up a little talent gap with a touch of class and humanity that is bestowed on your fans and brings people joy. That's Prine.

I won't link the video here because it is explicit but if you want a humorous take on Jacko. Youtube Jon Lajoie Micheal Jackson.

You seem to think I am a MJ fan, and focus on that. Strange! My point was that if a person not reached the same recognition, he can not be in the same league.

17 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

You seem to think I am a MJ fan, and focus on that. Strange! My point was that if a person not reached the same recognition, he can not be in the same league.

If a tree in the forest falls and nobody hears it would it be as great as Michael Jackson? Who cares this thread is about John Prine. If you don't like him fine but why show up to a funeral to say negative things? Don't be that guy.

Edited by Cryingdick
  • Sad 1

I had already posted about this in another part of the forum, but I have to say again that I'm very sad to hear about the passing of John Prine, especially as Covid-19 complications took him from the world before his time. I was fortunate enough to see him perform several times -- often the free open-air concerts on summer evenings at Ontario Place. His music always hit the right notes with me, whether listening to the poignant message of Sam Stone or the funny, uplifting lyrics of Dear Abby. I'll have a drink and strum a couple of his tunes of the guitar tonight (Please Don't Bury Me being one of them, of course) in fond memory of the man who Rolling Stone magazine appropriately proclaimed in 2017 to be "The Mark Twain of American song writing". That's quite a distinctive honor and one that's truly fitting.  He'll be missed by many fans. 

Edited by Inn Between
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

It grows on you. I listened to it many times on the Mekong. There's a fire at the junction why do you do the things you do? I was looking for mercy and all they ever sent me was you. Great rain...

Jimmy bought the liquor honey, I brought the cups and ice, let me tell you a funny story why can't you treat me nice?

John was quick to criticize his own talent. I remember a story about him learning to play guitar from his older brother. I guess he wasn't a natural, by any means, and the other kids would tease him that he played so awkwardly that it almost seemed like he was trying to invent a new method. John was more surprised at his success than almost everyone around him. I guess he just started writing some funny little tunes to entertain friends and family but was encouraged enough by them to take it to the next level. I'm sure glad he did that and didn't give up on the guitar. I love the man's writing.  

Edited by Inn Between