what just happened to my ff browser ?

brokenbone

54 minutes ago, timendres said:

In my version of FF, you have to hover inside the location input box before the history arrow "appears":

Cursor outside:

1806001762_ScreenShot2020-04-11at3_36_24AM.png.1127a2ac9c788486ff1b7f3f6538939a.png

Cursor inside:

13096278_ScreenShot2020-04-11at3_36_34AM.png.61a4e65de40927d729c87eb337048ee5.png

that is how it used to be, but not any longer, and the biggest fail is

that the favorite pages list just got a lot shorter

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Speedo1968 said:

I've had issues too since the last update, the main page doesn't load fully and I have to close FF and open again.    
I am using Win7 ( choice ), could that be a reason ?

i use win 10, those were the days when xp ruled and half the hardware sufficed to

keep the thing rolling

• Haha 1

The 'Most Visited' and 'Getting Started' on the bookmark toolbar in your screenshot and your  favorites page list being shorter makes me think Firefox loaded the default profile and not your personal one.

Are your personal bookmarks still there somewhere?

Restarting Firefox will usually return you to your personal profile.

Mine just updated to Ver 75.0 and I see the same as the OP.  There was a "new" button in the top right to tell you what was updated but you only get one chance to click on it before it disappears. However, looking at FF website that change does appear to have been one made in this update.  Clicking in the address box gives me the list that used to appear when I clicked on the arrow.

image.png.431dc9cf528f8b0d461e1b6e156a33d2.png

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/75.0/releasenotes/

2 hours ago, KeeTua said:

The 'Most Visited' and 'Getting Started' on the bookmark toolbar in your screenshot and your  favorites page list being shorter makes me think Firefox loaded the default profile and not your personal one.

Are your personal bookmarks still there somewhere?

Restarting Firefox will usually return you to your personal profile.

yes, i still have my bookmarks, its just the quick list that shrunk from 10+ or so to 8

And situations like these are the main reason I'm on ESR release, and refuse to update. FF, unfortunately, has become less and less functional over the years. They should, at least, let you keep your profile, and offer to change the GUI only if you agreed to. Unfortunately, it's a bunch of millennial coders running the shop now, and they come from smart phone/tablet environment, and want to implement the same on normal PC's. Just look at Windows 10.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SpaceKadet said:

And situations like these are the main reason I'm on ESR release, and refuse to update. FF, unfortunately, has become less and less functional over the years.

Yes, I'm a long-time FF user, and the old browser add-ons are part of my daily use.  I have gone over to what's now called Waterfox Classic, check it out at www.waterfox.net  , it allows you to use those add-ons that were obsoleted a few years ago. 

If you want to use current FF without the auto-update nonsense try the version(s) at portableapps.com; in my experience the auto-update of these gives an error message ???? , but maybe they fixed that.

I absolutely HATE when things update unannounced!

• Like 1

Is it possible / is it worth it to go back to the previous version before the latest up date ?
I now get problems with FF not fully loading ( e.g. the page showing "like" sites and Browsec not loading country choice (( yes I know I can load Browsec only when I need to )), I have to close FF and restart.

10 hours ago, bendejo said:

Yes, I'm a long-time FF user, and the old browser add-ons are part of my daily use.  I have gone over to what's now called Waterfox Classic, check it out at www.waterfox.net  , it allows you to use those add-ons that were obsoleted a few years ago. 

If you want to use current FF without the auto-update nonsense try the version(s) at portableapps.com; in my experience the auto-update of these gives an error message ???? , but maybe they fixed that.

I absolutely HATE when things update unannounced!

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely check that out.

I also rely a lot of FF add-ons that are no longer developed, and do not run on latest FF releases.

The ESR release channel is stable and will not auto update, the only problem is that some pages do not render correctly on the release I'm on, and can't go to rel 60+ because that will break my plug-ins.

There's a simple registry edit that disables/enables updating Firefox.

Disable updating:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Mozilla\Firefox]
"DisableAppUpdate"=dword:00000001

Enable updating:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Mozilla\Firefox]
"DisableAppUpdate"=dword:00000000

I saved two *.reg files that enables me to quickly toggle between enabling/disabling updates. Fairly painless way to deal with the problem of unwanted automatic updating.

I stopped using FF after installing version 75. Better options available. A factor in that was uBlock is now playing games. I'm too old and too jaded and I've been in the industry for too long to put up with this crapola. If it don't work, binnit is the right choice for me, you'll have to do what's best for you.

• Like 1

I have just reverted back to FF after a year out , because for some reason Chrome was playing up.

Question , why can't I play Netflix movies anymore. Sign in , open up , then something about FF has to download something to be able to play Audio and Video.

Have I got a privacy and security detting ticked , unticked that causes this problem ?

I am not upgrading my FF, so I still have the old method of viewing. (I stay with 69)

I would not try to upgrade to FF 75, as I read they removed the https and www from the url bar, and I want to see that among with other options they implemented from FF70 and up.

But maybe this can help, with previous FF versions you can disable the list you are missing in FF75.

Go check if it is disabled at standard from FF75 and you can enable it. I can't confirm.

On the Options/Preferences page, Home panel, uncheck check the box for Top Sites:

Fx75-options-home-top-sites.png.a9599893a0699595029df07d4dbf8c30.png

Not uncheck but check if it is enabled.

5 minutes ago, Metropolitian said:

I am not upgrading my FF, so I still have the old method of viewing. (I stay with 69)

I would not try to upgrade to FF 75, as I read they removed the https and www from the url bar, and I want to see that among with other options they implemented from FF70 and up.

But maybe this can help, with previous FF versions you can disable the list you are missing in FF75.

Go check if it is disabled at standard from FF75 and you can enable it. I can't confirm.

On the Options/Preferences page, Home panel, uncheck check the box for Top Sites:

Fx75-options-home-top-sites.png.a9599893a0699595029df07d4dbf8c30.png

Not uncheck but check if it is enabled.

i have got used to it now, i lost out on 2 top visited pages quick list,

now got 8 out of 10, otherwise im content with new version

Yeah I'm really disappointed with the "upgrade". I filed a bug report about the address bar on bugzilla but the entitled pricks there close the issues whenever they hear a complaint. All young kids of course, they can't take any feedback or criticism. And yes I agree they are looking at mobile designs only, it's getting worse for desktop.

Hate to say it but I might have to move back to Chrome/Chromium or start using Brave, sigh. It was a good run but I think Firefox is finished.

Edited by moldresistant

6 minutes ago, treetops said:

That bit doesn't seem right, eg:

image.png.d424f372e4581c18b8d51d807b93b903.png

Good example they didn't.

Even in the picture from the OP the url prefix is still there.

I stand corrected being mislead by the information from two sources.

Even if they really did it can be reverted back with some register changes after installation.

The two sources were articles at  ghacks and winaero

For those who want to change back some settings with the url what mozilla did with FF 75

"That all said, if you don’t like any of Mozilla’s changes, you can disable them to return yourself to the old-school address bar experience. As Reddit user Time_Terminal points out, there are four entries you can edit in Firefox’s preferences to give yourself a spartan address bar once again"

check here.

1 hour ago, Metropolitian said:

Good example they didn't.

Even in the picture from the OP the url prefix is still there.

I stand corrected being mislead by the information from two sources.

Even if they really did it can be reverted back with some register changes after installation.

The two sources were articles at  ghacks and winaero

For those who want to change back some settings with the url what mozilla did with FF 75

"That all said, if you don’t like any of Mozilla’s changes, you can disable them to return yourself to the old-school address bar experience. As Reddit user Time_Terminal points out, there are four entries you can edit in Firefox’s preferences to give yourself a spartan address bar once again"

check here.

Unfortunately those options will only work up until Firefox 77, they are clear this is how they want the address bar to be.