Swimming Pool and Dust

Pilotman

Anyone else having to fight to keep their pool clean and usable in the face oi massive amount of air pollution? I shift dust that has settled on the bottom every day. usually it only requires vacuuming to waste every week, now its daily. I just wish it would rain. Garden is like the Gobi Desert .  

First why are you vacuuming to waste? if you have been doing that all the time you may have no filter media left in the filter and that would allow the dust to keeping circulating back into the pool.

If that is the case you might need to open up the filter to see if it needs topping up

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I shift dust that has settled on the bottom every day. usually it only requires vacuuming to waste every week, now its daily.

Stop looking and carry on doing it weekly. The dust at the bottom doesn't hurt anyone? 

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Stop looking and carry on doing it weekly. The dust at the bottom doesn't hurt anyone? 

Agreed. If I had cleaning OCD maybe I'd vacuum every other day at times of heightened detritus (but surely not to waste).

In the dust, ash and leaffall seasons I get the leaf skimmer net out and skim along the bottom of the pool to pick up the sunken leaves, twigs and seeds plus the bird poo and bits of black ash. Cosmetically that makes the pool swimmable to me even though the skimmer net edge may be clearly stirring up a bit of a mini dust storm 3 days or so after vacuuming; even though some of the ash and bird poo might disintegrate (it usualy disintegrates to a state where cosmetically I can't see it. I don't vacuum until the filter meter tells me to - I wait until it is two-thirds of the way towards the red zone as measured from the point read straight after vacuuming at its clean best.

Like Chip Butty says, it seems likely the OP's filter medium is exhausted and is recycling the smaller particles back out to the pool - that's the signal that the medium needs replacing. I have only ever vacuumed to waste on the two occasions I've had an issue with algae. 

This is common with dust & ash guys. If you have sand in your filter it will not be taken out. You are lookin at micron teen figures for filtration. These particles are below 10 microns. Trouble with vacuuming to waste is you are wasting water & chems! If you are not willing to update to a better media ("Eco Clear" recycle plate glass) then you need to floculate the pool before vacuuming to waste! However do this a couple of times and it will end up costing you more!! 

Eco Clear.pdf

8nak also having the same problem. The bottom of my pool looks brown daily until I sweep it to mix with the water.. Or try sucking it through my sand filtration system. Either way seems not to make a difference by the next day or 2.

Im shipping an automatic vacuum made for above ground pools from the USA now to try because normal pimping through the filter system doesn't seem to help the settles dust found in the bottom of the pool. 

I can say that if I don't clean the dust. After a few days the floor feels slimy.. And can instantly see my water is clear and clean when vacuum a small area or sweep the dust aside.. 

It's quite frustrating. 

If you do have to top up the filter media I would clean the old stuff out and start again it depends how old and what they put in there originally then fill it with Zeolite a bit more expensive but you will see the difference

You really need to look at the filtration system before you waste any more time, effort, water & chemicals.

Any particles going into your pool (in particular if they sink to the bottom) should be filtered out by your system.

What are you using sand or diaoomaceous earth ?

Shouldn't need to floc more than twice a year if that .

I use a robot to clean the bottom of the pool.  During the good months I use it about once per week and the filter is relatively clean.  Now I need to use it every other day and the filter is extremely dirty.

17 hours ago, ChipButty said:

If you do have to top up the filter media I would clean the old stuff out and start again it depends how old and what they put in there originally then fill it with Zeolite a bit more expensive but you will see the difference

"Eco Clear" recycled plate gals is superior to Zeolite/Zelbrite. Z/Z can fill up with iron & or magnesium & algae as it is like a cage if look under a microscope. Where as Eco is crushed plate glass & basiclly has flat surface. Eco will do a slightly better lower micron filtration and doesn't hold on to anything when you do a backwash. The former has a life span of around 5 - 7 yrs (If it doesn't clog up with iron or magnesium) where as Eco lasts for 15 yr and can't clogg up!

Cheers