Bangkok booze ban creates surge in demand but sales were already well down, says retailer

rooster59

Bangkok booze ban creates surge in demand but sales were already well down, says retailer

00000-142-1280x720.jpg

Image: 77kaoded

Thai media reported that the purchasing of beer and spirits was brisk yesterday as people stocked up ahead of a ten day ban.

The governor of Bangkok Asawin Khwanmuang has decreed that no alcohol can be sold until after the 20th of April.

77kaoded went down to Samut Prakan where they spoke to wholesalers and retailers.

Many were reporting a 30 - 50 % spike in sales. There were reports of hoarding.

Prinya, 36, the owner of Choketawee shop in Pak Nam market said that prior to the ban and the rush on stocks, his sales of alcohol had been 30% DOWN on normal years.

He put that down to people having little chance to party during the pandemic and being cautious about their spending habits.

Source: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-04-11

Of course the people who can "think ahead" will have stocked up and have supply, but it is precisely the people who can't think ahead that we should be worried about and hinder. I suggest that the ban also is psychological, it puts people on notice that this is all serious and they need to pay attention. It's ok with me (and I'm stocked up).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Enzian said:

Of course the people who can "think ahead" will have stocked up and have supply, but it is precisely the people who can't think ahead that we should be worried about and hinder. I suggest that the ban also is psychological, it puts people on notice that this is all serious and they need to pay attention. It's ok with me (and I'm stocked up).

Personally, I dont think ahead when it comes to alcohol because it is low in my list of priorities.

I cant imagine feeling the need to stock up on booze for 10 days.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Banning something people weren't really consuming anyway.  And people say the government is out of touch.

You have heard of Songkran I assume?  That is next week.

I don't personally agree with the ban but I do see the reasoning behind it.

On 4/11/2020 at 6:49 PM, natway09 said:

Again, you say the "booze ban" is stupid but

I will say it again, they have to make rules "for the lowest common denominator "

Umderstand ?   No .......Thats exactly what I mean

So you think it's ok to punish the responsible for the sins of the irresponsible?  

I'd rather people make decisions for themselves on what is best for their own situation.  Being stupid should not be illegal