Information on Palm Oil farming

craighj

Hi There

Does anyone have any experience with Palm Oil farming, like when and what to fertilize palm oil trees with?  I have absolutely no experience with farming and my wife has some small palm oil farms.  I'm told best to fertilize during rainy season or just before?  Is there a specific type of fertilizer and or method?

Craighj

You may find that it is difficult to influence customary local practices, and that your wife will get her information from family and other local growers.

I've never been involved in growing oil palms, but one of our daughters lives with her partner's family who are oil palm farmers in Chumphon, and I've visited. Everyone in the family is involved in the industry, growing, harvesting or working at the local mill. 

The fertilization program is focused on Nitrogen for vegetative growth and Potassium (potash) for fruit production. They are heavy on the use of Potassium chloride 0-0-60.  

I've tried to influence them to consider a more thorough and balanced soil building, with zero acceptance. They do what their neighbors do just to get the maximum yield with minimal cost. Which is extremely short sighted in my opinion, and may lead to the decline of the the health of their palms, susceptibility to devastating pest or disease issues, and reduced production in the long term. Palms usually have a high Potassium and Magnesium requirements, but other vital nutrients should not be neglected. 

Here is a primer for you: 

http://www.fao.org/3/t0309e/T0309E01.htm

This publication has a better fertilization program in my opinion:

https://www.agrifarming.in/oil-palm-cultivation