Thailand launches Mor Chana mobile app to enhance contact tracing efforts to help stop the spread of COVID-19

rooster59

Isnt google already doing this?...

my phone seems to know my health and where ive been even with gps off from pinging towers to share my info. 

They shared info recently showing they can tell who is isolating, what biz is still operating, whos interacting with who and such... Seems the location button makes no difference anymore. We are being watched anyway. Solong as google watches thailand watching me i feel more safe????

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, unamazedloso said:

my phone seems to know my health and where ive been even with gps off from pinging towers to share my info. 

They shared info recently showing they can tell who is isolating, what biz is still operating, whos interacting with who and such... Seems the location button makes no difference anymore. We are being watched anyway. Solong as google watches thailand watching me i feel more safe????

Who is watching Google and who is watching the ones watching Google and ---

I have a True SIM card. Within the last couple of weeks, the upper left went from identifying “True” to “SafeAtHome.” I didn’t download anything. I wonder if it’s just a label change or have they started tracking? Inquiring minds want to know...

• Thanks 1

Yet more surveillance being slipped in under the cuddly guise of a mobile app for "security" reasons. People sit there using Google search on Chrome, Android, gmail, smart speakers in your front room they ask questions of and on and on ... go to Wiki and have a look at Google products, the list is endless. I stopped a while back using any of Google's products apart from Youtube (without signing in). I don't have a smart phone (although they can still ping it from a tower, I guess) just an old fashioned talk and text one and I use protonmail and duckduckgo for internet browsing in Firefox. Old saying, "If you can appease a man's conscience, then you can take away his freedom." That's what is slowly happening everywhere. It's very hard not to be online in some capacity but you can certainly lower your electronic/digital footprint.   

Edited by Brigand
Typos
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

Try Brave, which has been really good for me.   I only use Google when I hadn't got a choice. 

1 hour ago, inactiveposter said:

I have a True SIM card. Within the last couple of weeks, the upper left went from identifying “True” to “SafeAtHome.” I didn’t download anything. I wonder if it’s just a label change or have they started tracking? Inquiring minds want to know...

Just a label change

11 minutes ago, ParkerN said:

Another product looking for an application.

More small-scale developers looking for the main chance and hoping to get rich. A topical idea is always attractive.

https://cloudsecurityalliance.org/star/registry/electronic-government-agency-public-organization-ega/

https://cebitasean.com/downloads/Development-Plan-MDES.pdf

Edited by Curt1591

1 hour ago, Brigand said:

Yet more surveillance being slipped in under the cuddly guise of a mobile app for "security" reasons. People sit there using Google search on Chrome, Android, gmail, smart speakers in your front room they ask questions of and on and on ... go to Wiki and have a look at Google products, the list is endless.

Yep, that'll be the pitch for government subsidies right enough. Love of money trumps love of integrity. TiT.

5 hours ago, inactiveposter said:

same same except it says : dtac-T: Stay Safe 

9 hours ago, Brigand said:

Yet more surveillance being slipped in under the cuddly guise of a mobile app for "security" reasons. People sit there using Google search on Chrome, Android, gmail, smart speakers in your front room they ask questions of and on and on ... go to Wiki and have a look at Google products, the list is endless. I stopped a while back using any of Google's products apart from Youtube (without signing in). I don't have a smart phone (although they can still ping it from a tower, I guess) just an old fashioned talk and text one and I use protonmail and duckduckgo for internet browsing in Firefox. Old saying, "If you can appease a man's conscience, then you can take away his freedom." That's what is slowly happening everywhere. It's very hard not to be online in some capacity but you can certainly lower your electronic/digital footprint.   

Agreed, and if they are taking freedom - then compensation is in order.  Google and Facebook are advertising firms - follow the money; we are giving our information away for free.  Hopefully someday we'll learn that data is valuable and the consumer shouldn't be the product.  Until then; I'm with the Protonmail, DuckDuckGo and Firefox.  Can't eliminate Google but shouldn't make it easy to profit off me.

The best companies in the world with top security experts still manage to get hacked, and they expect someone to trust the security of an app developed in Thailand, with a central database developed in Thailand, sitting on servers in Thailand? Pigs will be flying alongside unicorns before I trust it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Brigand said:

How exactly do you have more freedom than the rest of us?

• 1 month later...
On 4/12/2020 at 11:44 AM, overherebc said:

As Mr Berra once said,

'include me out'

Interestingly, throughout the 'darker' times when we saw hospitals fill up and actually worried about getting this disease, it was fine to go to the local Tesco Lotus Express (my local one is only about 15 metres square) or 7-11.

Today, after many days with virtually no new cases, we're not allowed to go into the tiniest Tesco Lotus Express without scanning or registering. Fortunately there's paper so you can write down 'Batman 03248655' to satisfy the demand for compliance without actually complying.

Please do not copy my details.

I am assuming this is due to the 'unsuitable' venues (non-essential shops in Malls) being upset about 'unfair' competition (excluding local shops like 7-11 and Tesco Express) in selling 'non-essential' items like bum guns to replace the one leaking in your bathroom etc.

So now I'm assuming this crackdown on all 7-11's (not applied to the barber - who is not registered) is of a similar nature. Very superficial in nature... 

If they're not willing to go all the way and BAN all shoppers without a mobile device, then it's truly ridiculous.

App is entirely in Thai, with a lengthy questionnaire to be filled out - but again, no English is required. We are either exempt, or the government is too inept to manage anything using English language because perhaps they all left school aged 13 with no education to join the army and get rich.

Edited by ben2talk
addition
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, ben2talk said:

App is entirely in Thai, with a lengthy questionnaire to be filled out - but again, no English is required. We are either exempt, or the government is too inept to manage anything using English language because perhaps they all left school aged 13 with no education to join the army and get rich.

And imagine, they are expecting tourists at some point.. ????

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, tlock said:

Has anyone been requested to use this app at a 7-11 or similar convenience store?  I just went to Big C and noone mentioned the app.

Was asked in Tops in Central Bangna, I played the dumb card so I just wrote my name and phone number in a log book.

• Thanks 1