100 people visit Finance Ministry after being denied Bt5,000 handout

webfact

21 hours ago, keith101 said:

So much for social distancing these people dont seem to consider theirs or anybody's health only money .

About as much consideration as the finance ministry in paying out cash to people who are desperate.

When you have sod-all in the bank, your pockets are empty your belly is following suit and all they can say is "go on-line" with your application, which when it fails they say "go on-line" to complain which falls on deaf ears.

When you're starving you get pro-active and off your backside.

The government might wish to re-think their strategy , these people they are telling to go away we will not entertain you face to face might just go away for good and vote a different way next time around!

Thais have short fuses but long memories.

Edited by hotchilli
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, YetAnother said:

didnt receive the money because it is a thai system

what about the US system, do you know how many didn't receive their 1,200 USD check.... not a Thai or US system it's politicians system

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Universal income - no exceptions - always a safety net at all times. Mind you they would need to overhaul the tax system to pay for it. Increase VAT and income tax. No, that would not make a majority worse off, just taking it back via the tax system. Maybe the rich would end up paying a little more.

28 minutes ago, rickudon said:

Universal income - no exceptions - always a safety net at all times. Mind you they would need to overhaul the tax system to pay for it. Increase VAT and income tax. No, that would not make a majority worse off, just taking it back via the tax system. Maybe the rich would end up paying a little more.

The universal income is a generous idea

but it's an utopia. Some countries have tested it

but the experience wasn't a success and it was abandoned.

19 hours ago, darrendsd said:

The main reason is that a lot of people have no idea if they are eligible or not

My friend has been told because she is not a farmer she is not - that is total rubbish

Have a good look who is eligible according to the Govt announcement - can you work out which professions are eligible? Because I can't and Thais can't either

I said this in a reply to a previous post last week after the G/F's attempt to apply after she had closed the restaurant.  However I was ridiculed by some eejit on here who reckoned that it was that easy that over 20 million had already applied?  Well to that sarcastic clown, here is the reality of it all!  As the G/F said then, it's all a 'strawberry' PR exercise by Prayut to keep the Hi-So working/middle class happy and not the people that really need it.  She suggested that the money should go to the thesaban for them to decide and distribute it, although I'm not that confident that would work without issues either?  

On 4/14/2020 at 3:04 PM, kingofthemountain said:

100 people they can handle

wait in few weeks when 1 million of hungry and angry people will be coming...

They would still have to come to an understanding and organize this kind of thing

in the land of the me, me, me first.

1 hour ago, johng said:

Didn't matter how they voted last time. The men in green don't care they have all the military hardware.

A couple of million people with a change of mind in how efficient this government is a big enough swing to get them out.

On 4/14/2020 at 2:43 PM, keith101 said:

So much for social distancing these people dont seem to consider theirs or anybody's health only money .

someone posted pictures taken in Vientiane Laos (only 28 km from NongKhai) at a given time..................rush-hour when traffic got clocked ..........stay safe.......look for safe alternatives

17 hours ago, Trip Hop said:

She suggested that the money should go to the thesaban for them to decide and distribute it, although I'm not that confident that would work without issues either?  

I think we all know how that would end up

On 4/15/2020 at 2:59 PM, kingofthemountain said:

The universal income is a generous idea

but it's an utopia. Some countries have tested it

but the experience wasn't a success and it was abandoned.

Yes, but that depends on what your aims were. It was considered a possible way to encourage people back into work. It didn't achieve better results. However, it should be seen as the ultimate safety net which people can RELY on.

Nearly all current state benefit systems have so many rules, regulations etc. that you can never be sure if you will get your, money, and for how long. Errors frequently occur. Also that creates stress. Administering them is also expensive. In the UK, these issues mean it can take 5 weeks from making a claim to getting money - if you get it. Those periods can be incredibly difficult, if you have no savings and no relatives to help out (my son went through a period of this, and due to bad information and pedantic rules, only got paid for about 4 weeks out of a 9 month period of unemployment, his case might have been unusual, but that's the point,  you never know).  

Not everybody has savings, and some people (particularly in the developing world) are just one meal away from not being able to eat.

Universal income should be about that next meal .....