ASEAN NOW in charity partnership with the Samaritans of Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

20 years ago, when I operated mobile telecoms services, I configured a call-in service, whereby end-users (so this could be someone needing Samaritan help), called the publicised telephone number.  My software automatically rerouted that call to the mobile number of whatever volunteer was on duty, regardless of where they were in the country (or even overseas).

Each volunteer simply sent a text message keyword to my computer at the start or end of their shift, thus activating and deactivating their availability to accept calls from end-users.  If they didn't pick up the incoming call, then it would be rerouted to another available volunteer.

Now, that was 20 years ago, and the software was easy to use and configure.  Surely in 2021, the Samaritans could figure out a similar system, so that incoming calls are routed to English-speaking volunteers ....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, simon43 said:

20 years ago, when I operated mobile telecoms services, I configured a call-in service, whereby end-users (so this could be someone needing Samaritan help), called the publicised telephone number.  My software automatically rerouted that call to the mobile number of whatever volunteer was on duty, regardless of where they were in the country (or even overseas).

Each volunteer simply sent a text message keyword to my computer at the start or end of their shift, thus activating and deactivating their availability to accept calls from end-users.  If they didn't pick up the incoming call, then it would be rerouted to another available volunteer.

Now, that was 20 years ago, and the software was easy to use and configure.  Surely in 2021, the Samaritans could figure out a similar system, so that incoming calls are routed to English-speaking volunteers ....

Farung could volunteer but they need a work permit. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 7/12/2021 at 10:53 AM, macgver said:

To Samaritan and ASEAN Now, if you need any assistance on supporting counselling service to the expats, don't hesitate to drop a private message to me. 

I am a pastor, also a missionary and doing a lot of counselling with the people, as well finding solution to help them. 

What I appreciated back in the 80s when I did a ten year stint as a Samaritan helper and branch director, was the emphasis on listening (rather than counselling), and the importance of never so much as hinting at personal beliefs, or lack of, in the exchange. Glad to see this principle still enshrined in its current ‘nature of services’ policy summary - “Volunteers will not impose their own convictions, or influence callers, in regards to politics, philosophy, or religion.”