Eye Test For Driving Licence

somo

Been driving here for yonks. My licence renewal is due soon and I am a little worried about the eye test or one part of it. The peripheral vision part I found tricky last time and since then my eyes may have deterirated a little. Can I preempt any problems by getting a certificate of sorts from a doctor saying I can see well enough to drive? I knew one guy who was blind in one eye who got a licence so his peripheral sight would have been zero on that side. Unfornuately we are no longer in touch.

Thank you for any info.

I was asked to do a colour blind test Nothing else. But it might differ in other offices. The colour test consisted of a lady just pointing with a stick at a colour board with different round coloured rings on it. She pointed I answered in English.

Edited by fredob43

9 hours ago, fredob43 said:

I was asked to do a colour blind test Nothing else. But it might differ in other offices. The colour test consisted of a lady just pointing with a stick at a colour board with different round coloured rings on it. She pointed I answered in English.

That used to be the case but the recent license renewal I did included reaction time, distance perception and peripheral vision.  

16 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

There are exercises for vision but if can't be bothered then most DLT's are very helpful I know our one is. 

There were 2 DLT staff alternating on the vision test the day I went.  One was helpful, the other not.  Luck of the draw in that case. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, fredob43 said:

My nearest office does about 4 or five tests. I flunked 3 attempts at one of them and the lady said 'one more chance' then passed me. I worry I may not get through it this time.

4 hours ago, Jitar said:

That used to be the case but the recent license renewal I did included reaction time, distance perception and peripheral vision.  

Still the same at my local place. Well it was when I went with the G/L to renew her M/C licence a couple of months ago. They did have a reaction time peddle. That was with the colour board set up but they didn't require me or the G/L to do it. Seems as usual it depends what office you use.   

That distance/depth perception test is a killer.  I did some exercises after flunking it first time and managed to pass it the next day.  You should be able to improve if you work at it, otherwise if you time it by counting in your head for how long it takes to get from front to back and back to front, you should be spot on if you stop halfway I expect.  

I don't think most Thai DLT's would accept a doctor's certificate regarding eyesight. If you wear glasses take them off whlst doing the peripheral test, I have bad eyesight but found the peripheral vision test easier to pass without glasses. Whilst you're standing in the queue waiting for your turn to do test watch the other folks do the test and look for a pattern in which the lights change colours then you may be able to predict which colour the light change will be if your peripheral vision is poor.