Officials delay check on ‘worryingly thin’ tiger as Phuket Zoo files to officially close

snoop1130

Officials delay check on ‘worryingly thin’ tiger as Phuket Zoo files to officially close

By Tanyaluk Sakoot

1587028791_1-org.jpg

Wildlife officials say they are concerned about the condition of the ‘worryingly thin’ tiger, but will not inspect Phuket Zoo until tomorrow (Apr 17). Photo: Supplied via DNP

PHUKET:-- Phuket wildlife officials will not check on a ‘worryingly thin’ tiger being held at Phuket Zoo until tomorrow (Apr 17), despite police at the Natural Resources and Environmental Crime Division in Bangkok reporting complaints about the condition of the tiger to local wildlife officials yesterday.

The news comes as local wildlife officials also confirm that Phuket Zoo will file a formal request to close the tourist attraction, possibly only temporarily, blaming the economic situation caused by the COVID-19 fallout for the zoo’s inability to keep operating.

Piyawat Sukon, Chief of the Khao Phra Thaew Non-Hunting Area Conservation Centre in Thalang, confirmed to The Phuket News yesterday (Apr 15) that he already knew about the tiger from posts on social media.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-officials-delay-check-on-tiger-worryingly-thin-as-phuket-zoo-files-to-officially-close-75724.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-04-16
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Phuket Zoo will file a formal request to close the tourist attraction, possibly only temporarily, blaming the economic situation caused by the COVID-19 fallout for the zoo’s inability to keep operating.

Will someone claim the tiger's caught Covid-19, same as the big cats in the Bronx Zoo were reported?

Phuket Zoo files for closure. Animals left abandoned and starving – VIDEO

ByThe Thaiger

hqdefault-1.jpg

The owners of the Phuket Zoo, obviously bereft of paying customers at this time, appear to have walked away from their duty of care to the animals incarcerated in this island ‘tourist attraction’. We use the term loosely (read the Trip Advisor comments below). But now a video has been posted by a groups of friends who came across the zoo this week.

“Me and my mates went for a walk and came across an abandoned zoo still filled with animals. The owner has gone bankrupt and times are hard during this pandemic.”

A group of friends stumbled on the apparently abandoned Phuket Zoo and filmed an animal horror show. What they found was horrendous and has given some of them nightmares since their visit, according to the narration. They posted an edited version of the video they shot on April 16.

‘Minh Nguyen’, an Australian from Arncliffe, NSW, posted the video saying that they’ve now been reaching out and getting support behind their efforts to provide some immediate relief and hopefully save the abandoned animals in the zoo.

“They can die from starvation, they can die from stress, they’re disturbed, they’re living in shit conditions.

The came across a zoo staff member who told them…

“If you want to give the tiger food, give money, about 7,000 baht and that will buy 50 pieces of chicken – that would feed one tiger for one day.”

Later in the video Minh says that the owner admitted that they couldn’t afford to feed the animals and that the owner wanted to close the zoo down (unspecified if it’s either temporarily or forever).

Screen-Shot-2020-04-17-at-09.18.15.jpg

Meanwhile, Phuket wildlife officials said they wouldn’t check on the tiger being caged up in Chalong’s Phuket Zoo until today.

Local wildlife officials confirmed to The Phuket News that Phuket Zoo will file a formal request to close the tourist attraction blaming the economic conditions forced on the attraction with lockdowns and zero tourism on the island at the moment. All animal tourism attractions, including Phuket Zoo, were ordered closed on March 28 by Phuket’s governor.

The Chief of the Khao Phra Thaew Non-Hunting Area Conservation Centre says they were already aware of the plight of the tiger from social media posts.

“I know from experts that tigers must not be too fat, but this tiger looks so thin. I am worried about the tiger and other animals while the zoo is closing.”

The Chief said that they weren’t able to go and check on the welfare of the tiger, or other animals at the zoo, because “the owner wasn’t around”. He then contradicted himself, in comments to Phuket News when he maintained that there were zoo staff were still there and feeding the animals. Indeed there appears to be staff available to let in officials in the posted video.

The Phuket Zoo has an infamous reputation in social media where people have shared posts of pathetic looking animals for years and urged people not to go. Sited next to the dolphinarium in Chalong, the two attractions have come under constant fire from animal rights supporters.

There has also been two high profile cases, that of Milo the Orangutan and Dumbo the baby elephant – both neglected or abused, and both now dead.

lkshdfksjhdkfjhsdkjfhfeatured-770x409-1.

I have been witness to the capricious and unprofessional nature of the Phuket Zoo’s management in the past when investigating, mostly, the story of Milo the Orangutan. In that case we called, actually demanded, that Phuket wildlife officials come to see for themselves the horrible situation that Milo was in. 24 hours later, when the officials, and the local media circus, arrived at the zoo there had been a make-over turning the horror show into a wonderland. Everything had been repainted, the tatty gardens had been cleaned up, paths washed and all the staff dressed up in spanking-new shirts.

The local wildlife officials were taken aside, out of the view of the media, and ‘negotiations’ were made to sort out the complaints against the zoo. And everything was good again. Just 9 months ago the ‘zoo’ was again inspected by the same wildlife officials and allowed to continue trading.

But don’t believe us, read what the island’s visitors say about Phuket Zoo…

• This was unreal! As soon as we seen the tiger with the chain around it’s neck, we wanted to leave! They were basically just parading the animals so u wld get a photo with them for money! The animals were not looked after at al! – vicki86paul2016

• I have been visiting here 15 years ago, 8 years ago and now, I just want to say if you wish to throw your 44 euro per person + taxi cost, give that money someone on the street, I believe it will make you happy to see some child get happy and smile to you who really need that will make you happy than going and seeing 2 elephant, 2 monkey, some birds, small crocodile, no tiger, no fish, no sea turtle, disgusting place – ISML68

• Tigers seemed to be have been drugged, zookeepers would poke them with sticks just so people could take photos… Filthy living spaces for the animals with very limited water in all the enclosures – Belladellarco

• This is just scam. The cost of ticket is really out of mind for what you get. Shows was terrible, it was abandoned, no animals, nobody cares of them, aquarium was closed. The main attraction was in ruin and without animals – petk0vic

Please go ahead and read the 134 pages of reviews for this awful place.

Meanwhile please share the video about the tigers, and other remaining animals at the zoo, and bring more attention to this horrible place so that the animals can be moved to better lodgings and that it NEVER re-opens.

Minh has set up a GoFundMe page HERE.

Source: https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/environment/phuket-zoo-files-for-closure-animals-left-abandoned-and-starving-video

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2020-04-17
  • Sad 3

Why nobody cares animals ? Aren't they more important than people ?

At least people are not here because some idiots wanted to have kids. They have no choice and must be helped because they could not avoid being there, especially when they are prisonners.

Edited by gamesgplayemail
  • Like 2

Well last year if they hadn't tried to charged me double entrance,  i plus 5 thais would have helped there cash flow, what thais have not been taught at school is  " what goes around comes around" sorry for the animals, give them to KK zoo but i wont be going there either due to there entrance fee for westerners, will they never learn and boy oh boy they need expats now more than ever.

12 minutes ago, Almer said:

Well last year if they hadn't tried to charged me double entrance,  i plus 5 thais would have helped there cash flow, what thais have not been taught at school is  " what goes around comes around" sorry for the animals, give them to KK zoo but i wont be going there either due to there entrance fee for westerners, will they never learn and boy oh boy they need expats now more than ever.

'they need expats now more than ever.' Probably to feed to the animals?

24 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

E

25 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Don't joke

20 minutes ago, gamesgplayemail said:

Thai should not be allowed to own and raise any animals. Animals could become as smart at Thai kids...

And idiots like you shouldn't be allowed to breed let alone be part of the gene pool...

• Haha 2

On 4/17/2020 at 5:56 PM, saminoz said:

"came across a zoo staff member who told them…  “If you want to give the tiger food, give money, about 7,000 baht and that will buy 50 pieces of chicken – that would feed one tiger for one day.”"

7,000 Baht per day to feed one tiger?  Yeah, right!  I am sure that the idiot of a owner used to spend that much per day on a single tiger!  They obviously think we just fell out of the trees like they have!"

"...that would feed one tiger for one day

Neither the zoo staff, nor the owner, said that, it was the Australian posting the video making a wild guess.

16 hours ago, The Word said:

"...that would feed one tiger for one day

Neither the zoo staff, nor the owner, said that, it was the Australian posting the video making a wild guess.

Duh!  ,the bit about feeding one tiger for one day was within the parentheses, along with the rest of the quote!  So, where and why would you change the reporting to suit your own version of the story?

For someone who has named himself "The Word", you seem to have a fragile grasp on how words are used and the punctuation associated with them!

????

On 4/19/2020 at 5:28 AM, wotsdermatter said:

Here's a suggestion, although those who "LOVE" Soi dogs will get upset.  Euthanise the dogs and feed them to the tigers.  Two problems solved.  That way no chickens have to die and the zoo saves 7000 Baht a day for each tiger.

'nuf sed.

I was thinking to do this with old grumpy foreigners...