Stocking Up My Freezer during the Lockdown

PhotoJohn

25 minutes ago, Grumpy one said:

Keep food for 6 months, you are lucky.

My BIL can smell frozen food, I fill the freezer, he shows up, along with assorted other hangers on

mine does that to my beer stock.  Most annoyingly, he always wants to try my 15 year old single malt whisky, but no chance, he just would not appreciate it, so I hide it away when he is around.  

18 minutes ago, Saltire said:

Agree 100%. When I was rich and lived in the UK as a single man my shopping consisted of a weeks worth of delicious ready meals from Marks and Spencers. This probably contributed in a big way to my diabetes which is now in remission after 2 years of keto. No sugar, low carb, healthy fats now down 20 kg.

God bless the Keto lifestyle!  Been following for a year now, and never felt (or actually been!) quite so healthy in the last 40 years.  Testing at Rajavej a few months ago showed my Cholesterol at low normal, Triglycerides at normal, even my BMI now in the low normal range!  Blood pressure 115/70  with a pulse of 61.

Hopefully, I'm on track to reverse whatever damage I may have been doing to myself eating all the wrong (but delicious!) foods. Fortunately, the Keto foods are every bit as delicious, and I'm looking forward to lunches again a the German buffet restaurant here in town. A couple of plates like this one from 'Auf Der Au,' everything Keto-friendly, and I am a happy, healthy, skinny camper! 

Buffet2.jpg

• Like 1

I posted once about getting food at Pun pun but it didn’t post I was there today and picked up meatloaf chicken beef stew mashed potatoes and a chicken pie I just ate the chicken pie and it was excellent if you mention Thai visa you’ll get a discount I highly recommend this place 

8 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

mine does that to my beer stock.  Most annoyingly, he always wants to try my 15 year old single malt whisky, but no chance, he just would not appreciate it, so I hide it away when he is around.  

I’d hide the doorbell too!

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Have you ever considered what is in the items you are purchasing, I mean most frozen items are loaded with sugar, salt and other harmful stuff that clog your arteries if eaten over a prolonged period of time and you could end up with a heart attack or a stroke.

The above said, not to mention the fat content which would add to your weight and send you into the direction of becoming a pre-diabetic or diabetic if your not already one, depending on your age and weight.

I am talking through experience, and will give you this advice, whether you take it or not, eat clean, avoid the stuff your eating, switch to eggs, tuna, whole grain pastas, basmati rice, oatmeal, do a bit of research on the web, lots of video's, your body is your temple and you are poisoning it.

Because it tastes good, doesn't mean it is good, don't get me wrong, I love foods that taste nice, but also know they are bad for you if they are from the frozen section, suffice to say, clean food can taste nice too, know what goes into your mouth and your body, because you will only have yourself to blame in years to come when you end up with one of the above diseases which spreads far and wide in the world because we have slowly been poisoned.

Oh and don't forget to exercise because you need to get that blood flowing through those arteries, I know, I know, boring, but it's either a healthier longer life or a shorter one with many problems along the way.

Make the change for your "life", it's the only one you got, and you want to get as many years out of it.

Here come the food police. I hope you posted on the other thread as well about the alcohol ban. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

When I stopped eating processed foods, my weight dropped off me like a stone, and I took 11" off my belt. Had to buy all new clothes!

I didn't remove 11" from my waistline but I did go from 85kg to 70kg in just 3 months by jogging and exercising. I didn't change my diet one bit, was still eating the same processed foods, sweet snacks, and home cooked meals like I have always done.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

God bless the Keto lifestyle!  Been following for a year now, and never felt (or actually been!) quite so healthy in the last 40 years.  Testing at Rajavej a few months ago showed my Cholesterol at low normal, Triglycerides at normal, even my BMI now in the low normal range!  Blood pressure 115/70  with a pulse of 61.

Hopefully, I'm on track to reverse whatever damage I may have been doing to myself eating all the wrong (but delicious!) foods. Fortunately, the Keto foods are every bit as delicious, and I'm looking forward to lunches again a the German buffet restaurant here in town. A couple of plates like this one from 'Auf Der Au,' everything Keto-friendly, and I am a happy, healthy, skinny camper! 

Buffet2.jpg

That plate looks delicious and very keto. Not keen on sauerkraut though but i'd eat it!

The key in your post is 'reverse whatever damage' as I believe it can be done. My blood tests show that my pancreas is now working more normally, i.e. not spiking blood sugar so high, and coming down in the normal time. I believe full remission can be achieved by avoiding sugar 'spikes' but it has to be over a very long time. Lets face it eating carbs (at the governments recommendation) for over 30 years created this epidemic of obesity and diabetes, it won't go away overnight. Some may argue (and probably will) but it works for me. Someone will probably jump in with a 'plant based' alternative but I will stick with keto. 

4 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

I didn't remove 11" from my waistline but I did go from 85kg to 70kg in just 3 months by jogging and exercising. I didn't change my diet one bit, was still eating the same processed foods, sweet snacks, and home cooked meals like I have always done.

....and I would guess more happier and content than having to listen to a bunch of nuts who think everybody should do as they THINK you should do.   Credit to you .... Congrats to you being happy and content

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

Congrats to you for your effort & accomplishment

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Snow Leopard said:

Here come the food police. I hope you posted on the other thread as well about the alcohol ban. 

Why such a negative reply ?

The original poster knows it's just advice, no one is shoving it down his throat, is a positive approach, not a negative one such as yours, but then again, you can't tell people how to change or accept things the way they are as they are blinded by their own self righteousness.

As for alcohol, I still enjoy it socially and or a nightcap before I go to bed, everything in moderation, but why on earth would I want to poison myself with added sugars, salts, preservatives and the likes.

Knock yourself out, your choice, far from being the food police, this forum is here for people to add comments, albeit it I have had more positive replies than negative ones, but you can't help those who can't help themselves.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

That's great!  Keep up the good work. Shedding excess body fat is a great beginning in the race to better health!

6 minutes ago, Gonzo the Face said:

....and I would guess more happier and content than having to listen to a bunch of nuts who think everybody should do as they THINK you should do.   Credit to you .... Congrats to you being happy and content

Most of us don't really give a damn if you think the way we do or not. We are pleased with the results we get, and are happy to share the various methodologies we use to get there. We see the results we get. We also see the fat, unhealthy people buying insulin on a regular basis, dealing with liver damage, pancreas damage, joint pain, and a host of other diet-related problems. In many cases, WE were those people just a short while ago.

Why not lay off the 'sour grapes?' If you don't want to read what we wrote, well... don't read it. No one is forcing you to do so, nor demanding you eat as we do. I understand that you run a restaurant. I've heard that your food tastes good.  I've also seen your posts complaining that no one is ordering from you lately.  Why not? I see lines of Food Panda and Grab drivers waiting outside other restaurants. Sometimes, good taste isn't enough.

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Gonzo the Face said:

....and I would guess more happier and content than having to listen to a bunch of nuts who think everybody should do as they THINK you should do 

Apart from your phrasing of nuts

In Oz  we call

them Wowser.s with very good reason to

1 hour ago, FolkGuitar said:

Buffet2.jpg

Hopefully that doesn't taste as disgusting as it looks.

As for the Ketogenic diet "Like many anticonvulsant drugs, the ketogenic diet has an adverse effect on bone health."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketogenic_diet

It is also terrible for the liver and has been shown to cause a highly increased incidence of kidney stones.

I personally avoid all these fad diets.

Would love to hear more on the freezer tips, ie on topic posts, though.  Even if it is hilarious seeing people pontificate on "healthy diet" when they eat things like sausages, one of the most unhealthy things you can eat bar none, lol.

Sausages are of course full of nitrates which are a cancer causing compound and that's saying nothing of the extremely high salt and fat content in most sausages. Basically one of the worst things you can eat.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/mar/07/are-sausages-bad-for-you-processed-meat

So we should not eat processed foods, but we should eat processed sausages filled with nitrates, salt and fat. You can't make this nonsense up really.

Edited by Logosone
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Gonzo the Face said:

Thanks for the very kind words John.  Must also say that you have been a very kind and loyal guest here for I believe more than 10 years.  Seems to be a good program that we have.... you know your stock reserve, you make your order and thanks for giving us a bit of a notice, that way we can make it fresh for you, and one or two days later you pick up your package.  Some day I will go back and see how many chicken pies you have eaten in the past 10 years. Got to be a record of some sort.

I do want to say thank you for your patronage especially in the rough times currently.  Helps us out immensly and keeps you from too many trips in the cruel outside world.  Thank You. .... and if you know of any others who may be interested in joining the program, please let them know about it.  Thanks and stay healthy

This looks very ineresting and probably not only to me.  Can you explain more about 'the program' please?

Including sample menu/prices or a pointer towards where they can be found.

24 minutes ago, deej said:

Apart from your phrasing of nuts

In Oz  we call

them Wowser.s with very good reason to

In Oz, what do you call people such as yourself who,

not just break the local laws, but publicly brag that they do it?

24 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Hopefully that doesn't taste as disgusting as it looks.

Different strokes for different folks. I think it looks delicious.  ????

I guess it must, because before the lock-down, the restaurant was always full at lunch and dinner time.

We solved the problem by having a regular reservation once a week.

Out here in the moo ban, our freezer can't keep up with this heat. Also the frequent blackouts and brownouts. I can tell when there's a brownout when the fans suddenly spin a bit slower. Then Iater I look in the freezer, and some of my ice has melted, which I need to chip apart in order to enjoy the cocktails that I need.

The kids love french fries, I wouldn't trust them in the freezer for too long, so we cook em right away.

46 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

In Oz, what do you call people such as yourself who,

not just break the local laws, but publicly brag that they do it?

Paul Hogan????

Edited by deej

23 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

I buy nice fresh bread when I can get it and freeze it. It defrosts pretty well

What is the best way to defrost/heat up french bread (baguette and the like)? I wrap slices/chunks of them in paper towel, wet the outside up slightly with water by hand, then microwave for half a minute. The result is soft enough to eat, but not great...

39 minutes ago, watthong said:

What is the best way to defrost/heat up french bread (baguette and the like)? I wrap slices/chunks of them in paper towel, wet the outside up slightly with water by hand, then microwave for half a minute. The result is soft enough to eat, but not great...

Right idea, wrong machine.  A microwave tends to affect the gluten in bread making it tougher and affecting flavor.

Try wrapping as you have been, but heat up in a hot oven for 2-3 minutes.

I think you'll like the difference.  ????

Edited by FolkGuitar
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, beau thai said:

This looks very ineresting and probably not only to me.  Can you explain more about 'the program' please?

Including sample menu/prices or a pointer towards where they can be found.

This will sound crazy I know, but there is no program.  Its just our regular menu , which is quite a few pages, and what started with just one or two individuals who wished to pick certain items off the menu and asked about taking them home.  They knew that we do a frozen back up as we are not a high volume place.  It may show as a full meal on our menu but they did not want the vegetables , say, but rather the main item,  They order them if we do not have them already frozen and pick up a day or two later, take them home frozen and put in their own freezer to get when hungry.  We are not a rip off place and wouldn't be here this long if we were.   If you have a chance, stop by and we can go over the menu together, find out what you like and give you a price.  People seem to like our food and some have been coming back for over the 24 years we have been here.  I don't want to post a phone number cuz I think there are rules against that, but you can Google up that information.  Thank you for your interest and I hope to see you in the near future.

1 hour ago, FolkGuitar said:

Different strokes for different folks. I think it looks delicious.  ????

I guess it must, because before the lock-down, the restaurant was always full at lunch and dinner time.

We solved the problem by having a regular reservation once a week.

The place is full because it is one of the cheapest buffet places that serves expat food.

I'm sure, like most German restaurants, they have good food, though I don't do buffet on principle. I'm just saying if someone were concerned about healthy eating, perhaps eating a plate full of sausages, nitrates, fat and salt (major ingredients in sausages) would not be an obvious choice.

You know, because like you said, processed food is bad for you. 

8 minutes ago, Logosone said:

You know, because like you said, processed food is bad for you. 

You know, of course, that this restaurant makes its own sausages... without nitrates. Of course you do.

In fact, all their foods are made right on the premises. No processed foods.

And you know, of course, that many Medical sources (Medical sources, not Wikipedia...) are now saying that the whole 'salt' thing was incorrect, and that more good salt and 'healthy' fats are actually good for you, right? Of course you do. That's why so many people have started eating a more healthy diet these days.

I've been taking salt tablets twice a day for a few years, and for some reason, my blood pressure is actually on the low side, and my last EKG was perfectly normal.

So please... you stick with your antiquated views about diet and health, and permit us to follow our more modern (although actually ancient) ideas about diet and health. We won't force you to change.

Please stay healthy.  ????

2 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

You know, of course, that this restaurant makes its own sausages... without nitrates. Of course you do.

In fact, all their foods are made right on the premises. No processed foods.

And you know, of course, that many Medical sources (Medical sources, not Wikipedia...) are now saying that the whole 'salt' thing was incorrect, and that more good salt and 'healthy' fats are actually good for you, right? Of course you do. That's why so many people have started eating a more healthy diet these days.

I've been taking salt tablets twice a day for a few years, and for some reason, my blood pressure is actually on the low side, and my last EKG was perfectly normal.

So please... you stick with your antiquated views about diet and health, and permit us to follow our more modern (although actually ancient) ideas about diet and health. We won't force you to change.

Please stay healthy.  ????

I don't think you understand what processed foods are.

ALL sausages, hams, bacon,  patés, salamis are processed foods.

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/what-are-processed-foods/

Udo does make his own sausages and cold cuts, but to the extent they are cured of course they have nitrites. It is not possible to do cured meats without nitrite. Which by the way occurs naturally in the body.

As for your advice that people should take salt to keep blood pressure under control that is frankly shockingly misinformed and dangerous nonsense.

Hypernatremia, a blood sodium level above 145 mEq/L, causes thirst, and due to brain cell shrinkage may cause confusion, muscle twitching or spasms. With severe elevation, seizures and comas may occur.

Death can be caused by ingestion of large amounts of salt at a time (about 1 g per kg of body weight).

Salt can kill, and should be used sparingly and in sensible amounts. It is not "modern" to suggest elevated salt consumption it is positively dangerous.

"Excess sodium consumption can increase blood pressure.

Health effects associated with excessive sodium consumption include:

Stroke and cardiovascular disease.

High blood pressure: Evidence shows an association between salt intakes and blood pressure among different populations and age range in adults. Reduced salt intake also results in a small but statistically significant reduction in blood pressure.

Left ventricular hypertrophy (cardiac enlargement): "Evidence suggests that high salt intake causes left ventricular hypertrophy. This is a strong risk factor for cardiovascular disease, independently of blood pressure effects." "...there is accumulating evidence that high salt intake can predicts left ventricular hypertrophy."

Excessive salt (sodium) intake, combined with an inadequate intake of water, can cause hypernatremia. It can exacerbate renal disease.

Edema: A decrease in salt intake has been suggested to treat edema (fluid retention).

Kidney disease: A US expert committee reported in 2013 the common recommendation by several authorities "to reduce daily sodium intake to less than 2,300 milligrams and further reduce intake to 1,500 mg among persons who are 51 years of age and older and those of any age who are African-American or have hypertension, diabetes, or chronic kidney disease", 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_effects_of_salt

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Logosone said:

I don't think you understand what processed foods are.

ALL sausages, hams, bacon,  patés, salamis are processed foods.

Wow! Talk about not understanding.... It's shocking!

At no time did I give advice that people should take salt to keep blood pressure under control. Please learn to read.

We make sausages all the time without curing. Not all foods need to be cured.

Not all pates and sausages need cures. Italian sausage is never cured, nor are any of the German fresh sausages.

The only ones needing 'cures' are the dried or aged sausage such as salami!

'Processed' does NOT mean that they've gone through a grinder.

You're use of random copy and paste without actually understanding is absurd.

Sorry, but I'm done with you. You simply have no idea what you are talking about.

Edited by FolkGuitar
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

Wow! Talk about not understanding.... It's shocking!

We make sausages all the time without curing. Not all foods need to be cured.

Not all pates and sausages need cures. Italian sausage is never cured, nor are any of the German fresh sausages.

The only ones needing 'cures' are the dried or aged sausage such as salami!

'Processed' does NOT mean that they've gone through a grinder.

You're use of random copy and paste without actually understanding is absurd.

Sorry, but I'm done with you. You simple have no idea what you are talking about.

German Rindswurst is not a dried or aged sausage like salami, just a normal sausage you boil.

However, its manufacture includes Nitrites.

They are also smoked, as are a lot of German sausages.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankfurter_Rindswurst

46 minutes ago, deej said:

F/G  From my research taking Salt Tablets each day as you  do is  not recommended at all 

That was, in fact, the prevailing theory for the past 40 years... until the last 2-3 years.

Modern research has now shown it to be incorrect. You remember 50 years ago the scientists were saying butter was no good for us, that we needed to be eating margarine? And how about 5 years ago they reversed their position on this? Same with salt.

38 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Nothing of value.

37 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

Modern research has now shown it to be incorrect. You remember 50 years ago the scientists were saying butter was no good for us, that we needed to be eating margarine? And how about 5 years ago they reversed their position on this? Same with salt.

I'm waiting for the 'scientists' to declare, alcohol and tobacco to be health foods. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'm waiting for the 'scientists' to declare, alcohol and tobacco to be health foods. 

The way science reverses itself, I 'almost' wouldn't be surprised.

But many indigenous cultures used tobacco medicinally, and these days, scientists have succeeded in using genetically modified tobacco plants to produce medicines for several autoimmune and inflammatory diseases, including diabetes.

The biggest problem is finding the most up-to-date research, and this is the one of problems using Wikipedia as an information source. Most of its data is 7-10 year and more out of date, and when it comes to Science and Technology, that is almost primitive. Hell, you can't even update most phones made 7 years ago.