Australia sees three new coronavirus deaths as govt urges app installation

rooster59

Australia sees three new coronavirus deaths as govt urges app installation

2020-04-18T050958Z_1_LYNXMPEG3H052_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-AUSTRALIA-NEEDY.JPG

Pastor Matt Johnson of One1Seven evangelical Anglican church wears personal protective equipment while distributing food to those in need, an approved essential service during the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), in Sydney, Australia, April 17, 2020. REUTERS/Loren Elliott

MELBOURNE (Reuters) - Australia's coronavirus-related death toll rose by three to a total of 68 on Saturday, health data showed, with the government stepping up its calls for people to sign up for a controversial movement-tracking mobile phone app.

Australia and neighbouring New Zealand have shown early success in potentially stopping Covid-19 after closing their early and imposing strict curbs on public movement.

The daily growth rate of new infections has steadied in the low percentage single digits in both countries, a fraction of what was seen a month ago. Australia recorded 36 new cases on Saturday and a total of 6,533 cases, according to the health ministry data.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison said on Saturday that downloading a movement-tracking up, which would enable the government to detect potential new outbreaks and which has been criticised as invasion of privacy, would not be mandatory.

"We will be seeking the cooperation and support of Australians to download the app to help our health workers, to protect our community and help get our economy going again," Morrison said on his Twitter account.

Government Services Minister Stuart Robert said there would there will be no surveillance involved with the app, which is to be ready within weeks.

"The app is simply a health app," Robert said in a televised briefing.

The government said the app would help guild policymakers in winding back social distancing measures. [nL4N2C50CL]

Australia's bars and other "non-essential" businesses have closed, and public gatherings of more than two people are banned under the threat of fines and even prison. The measures are expected to double the unemployment rate by mid-year.

New Zealand, which adopted one the world's harshest lockdowns even before reporting a first death, saw 8 new confirmed coronavirus cases on Saturday, bringing all infections to 1,094. So far 11 people have died, health ministry data showed.

(Reporting by Lidia Kelly. Editing by Gerry Doyle)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-04-18

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

"We will be seeking the cooperation and support of Australians to download the app to help our health workers, to protect our community and help get our economy going again," Morrison said on his Twitter account.

Are they going to buy smartphones for those without? I doubt everyone has a smartphone, or is prepared to pay for one.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mayhem11 said:

This is just a health app. Baloney. Once it is there they will repurpose it to erode further the privacy and other civil liberties of Aussies.

........ especially those who have something to hide.....

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

Maybe not related but I remember years ago the govt wanted to intro an ID card for all Australians, the people said "no, its an invasion of privacy".  Not long after they introduced photos on drivers licenses, but while not compulsory, the govt espoused the benefits of a photo.  This followed some time later with making the photos compulsory. So over time the govt got their ID card but in a sneaky staged manner.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mayhem11 said:

This is just a health app. Baloney. Once it is there they will repurpose it to erode further the privacy and other civil liberties of Aussies.

It's interesting how the lockdown to "save lives" is morphing into ways in which government can control us.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It's interesting how the lockdown to "save lives" is morphing into ways in which government can control us.

Interesting ?? I would have said it was inevitable....

20 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The government said the app would help guild policymakers in winding back social distancing measures.

That is basically saying download it or stay locked up...

• Like 1

Lib backbencher,s ,even Barnaby Joyce are saying no way to the app.  Control freak “Stop it” Scomo hinted it may be compulsory a day or so back,then tweeted it would not be.No way 40% take up will be achieved and that’s useless in its aim anyway. Leave the phone home!

I am not at home in OZ but if I were I would not hesitate to install an app that could save my life. 

The app downloads data on your phone and NOWHERE ELSE so the data remains yours.  Let us not commit economic suicide by being obtuse and isolationist? 

Have no fears the government knows all about you anyway. 

A great initiative and supported by Android and Apple. 

Are you aware of the way that the technology works?  It does not record any information other than the phone number and the identity of the infected person is never revealed. 

Have some faith and try to get our economy started as safely as possible. 

This will help to develop the herd immunity which will help us to protect old bast#£&d like me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, RickTik said:

FB_IMG_1586531905975.jpg

Taken from a show where women are oppressed and religious evangelical nutjobs take over.

Kinda the future that half of the GOP want...ironic when you think about how much they bang on about 'freedom'.

Edited by samran

12 hours ago, rosst said:

This will help to develop the herd immunity which will help us to protect old bast#£&d like me. 

Herd immunity is developed by allowing as many people to become infected as possible ( and surviving, which the vast majority would do ), not by preventing anyone becoming infected.

Other than becoming infected, the only alternative is a vaccine and that is likely a year away.

13 hours ago, rosst said:

I am not at home in OZ but if I were I would not hesitate to install an app that could save my life. 

The app downloads data on your phone and NOWHERE ELSE so the data remains yours.  Let us not commit economic suicide by being obtuse and isolationist? 

Have no fears the government knows all about you anyway. 

A great initiative and supported by Android and Apple. 

Are you aware of the way that the technology works?  It does not record any information other than the phone number and the identity of the infected person is never revealed. 

Have some faith and try to get our economy started as safely as possible. 

No one is saying that YOU should not, but some of us don't want to. That's called democracy.

• Thanks 1