Possible To Change Retirement Visa to Non B For Work?

Hi,

I am about to be offered a job with a work permit.

If I am on a retirement visa is it possible to change to a Non B in order to get a work permit? (I know that I would have to go out of the country to apply at a Thai consulate for a Non B once travel restrictions are lifted).

Or is it the case that after you've had a retirement visa it is then never possible to apply for a non B and have a work permit.

Thanks.

It is not possible to change non immigrant visa categories at immigration.

It is possible to change the reason for an extension to another one though. But in your case it would not be possible since you would not be able to apply for a work permit. The Department of Employment of the Labor Ministry will not accept a application for a work permit for those that are on a extension of stay based upon retirement.

You would first have to leave the country to cancel your current extension and then re-enter the country with a tourist visa or a visa exempt entry to be able to apply for a work permit. Or leave the country and send copies of your passport proving you are not in the country so that your employer could use a WP3 to apply for the work permit so that you could apply for a non-b visa at a embassy or consulate.

• Like 2

On 4/20/2020 at 9:42 AM, ubonjoe said:

It is not possible to change non immigrant visa categories at immigration.

It is possible to change the reason for an extension to another one though. But in your case it would not be possible since you would not be able to apply for a work permit. The Department of Employment of the Labor Ministry will not accept a application for a work permit for those that are on a extension of stay based upon retirement.

You would first have to leave the country to cancel your current extension and then re-enter the country with a tourist visa or a visa exempt entry to be able to apply for a work permit. Or leave the country and send copies of your passport proving you are not in the country so that your employer could use a WP3 to apply for the work permit so that you could apply for a non-b visa at a embassy or consulate.

I am not sure this advice is up to date.   Two points come to mind.

1) I seem to recall that around three years ago, the rules were relaxed to permit a work permit to be granted against a retirement visa.   I cannot recall the background to the relaxation but think it had something to do with enabling more retirees to teach.

2) I am on a Family or Guardian visa.   Before the CoronaVirus issue hit, I applied for a work permit so as to be more active in the family business.   This is now on hold until life is more back to normal.   There has been no suggestion that I will need to change the type of visa or that anything other than the standard charge will be required.   I am over 70 years old.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, MrMo said:

1) I seem to recall that around three years ago, the rules were relaxed to permit a work permit to be granted against a retirement visa.   I cannot recall the background to the relaxation but think it had something to do with enabling more retirees to teach.

There was something about volunteer teaching for those on retirement extensions but I am not sure that ever happened.

33 minutes ago, MrMo said:

2) I am on a Family or Guardian visa.   Before the CoronaVirus issue hit, I applied for a work permit so as to be more active in the family business.   This is now on hold until life is more back to normal.   There has been no suggestion that I will need to change the type of visa or that anything other than the standard charge will be required.   I am over 70 years old.

If the family is Thai you can work on extension based upon being the spouse of or the parent of a Thai.

• Like 1

In 2016, I changed the reason for my Extension of Stay (Non-Immigrant "B" Visa) from Retirement to Employment. I did have to leave the country, but I did not have to go through the Tourist Visa step. With regard to the Work Permit, I believe it had been applied for, though not approved, before I left Thailand.