Bangkok: "Shell shocked" US marine sparks bomb alert in front of US Embassy

webfact

13 minutes ago, Rhys said:

I trust he finds his way.... should not be in the classroom.. 

You base that he should not be a teacher because of a metal issue, which may have probably been controlled well with medication.  Do you really believe that there are no teachers in the entire world who do not take medication for issues such as being bi-polar, having autism, or any other myriad of issues that can cause mental illness, including stress.  If you believe that, then I have some ocean front property for you in Nevada, USA.......

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

You base that he should not be a teacher because of a metal issue, which may have probably been controlled well with medication.  Do you really believe that there are no teachers in the entire world who do not take medication for issues such as being bi-polar, having autism, or any other myriad of issues that can cause mental illness, including stress.  If you believe that, then I have some ocean front property for you in Nevada, USA.......

Thank you I’ve been reading some of these comments thinking exactly the same thing!! 

• Like 2

As what I said many times before, Thailand school or education authority has to change their idea and manner to employ English teacher, they like anybody who look westerner to teach it does not a matter what they are , who they are., even if they do not know how to teach.  

5 minutes ago, jamesmith said:

As what I said many times before, Thailand school or education authority has to change their idea and manner to employ English teacher, they like anybody who look westerner to teach it does not a matter what they are , who they are., even if they do not know how to teach.  

Can you elaborate anymore?  Are you inferring that this gentleman was not a teacher, that he had not taken any courses and obtained any certification or maybe even had a degree.  Do you have some more info for us that we have not seen posted...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Can you elaborate anymore?  Are you inferring that this gentleman was not a teacher, that he had not taken any courses and obtained any certification or maybe even had a degree.  Do you have some more info for us that we have not seen posted...

Careful man he’s a veteran so naturally he’s going to be hated on here. 

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, EricTh said:

Didn't the school did a background check on him before hiring?

I'm surprised this has come up as much as it has and no one's really aware. Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but in my few years of teaching experience, based on the colleagues I've known, this simply isn't done. I did have one former boss introduce me to a local cop, who requested a fee to run a background check on me. Yeah, I'm sure that's what he did with it. Later that evening, Lieutenant Hong Thong and Constable Samsong confirmed to him the quality of my character.

Many of my former colleagues demonstrated to me issues which indicated that things didn't go too well for them back home, such as being prone to conflict and negativity, and not handling personal relationships well. That being said, I can't say it affected their teaching much. Let's face it, not much is expected from the foreign teachers here.

Fortunately, I believe the vast majority of foreigners who come out here to teach do rather well. Worst case scenario is they simply can't hack it and go home. As someone else in the thread has pointed, whenever farangs step the slightest out of line, you can be certain it makes front page news. In my years of following it I don't recall seeing many, if any, incidents involving farang teachers, other than being caught without proper certs or visas.

I do however, recall the many incidents involving Thai teachers having made the news. Just a few months ago on Thai TV, a hidden phone camera vid posted to Facebook was played over and over, of a Thai teacher screaming while beating students with a ruler. She simply said it was because she cared so much about them, and that was it. More recently was the teacher who around finals time, called students in privately to discuss improving their grades. Nothing happened to the girls, but he had a thing for boys, and had them perform sexual favors. Then over a year ago I remember a school director whose "my lovely wife" messages were found by parents on one of his M5 student's phones, and was simply transferred.

The Thais know that for the most part, they get away with it. The farangs know all too well the consequences they face, and considering themselves fortunate to have escaped their issues back home and able to start over again here, aren't going to jeopardize that.

I really feel for his guy. I've been where he is. I've suddenly lost long term jobs and relationships, and have been left with nothing. As others have said, he might've done alright if things had remained somewhat normal. But as we've been seeing, the virus and loss of work and income has been pushing many to the edge.

Edited by CrunchWrapSupreme
organization
  • Like 1

On 4/21/2020 at 5:42 PM, Expat Tom said:

Depending on where in the USA, he could have been shot...and no I'm not a whinny brit. I am an American veteran living the good life here in the LOS. (Land of Smiles)

100% in agreement with you!

On 4/21/2020 at 1:10 PM, MasterBaker said:

Mental patient teaching English in Thailand.... How typical

You People denegrating a man who has done <deleted> you couldn't in your life time Should Keep your mouths shut ... It proves how stupid and you are.

Let's see you after doing What he has been through.

#<deleted>.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2020 at 1:56 AM, kingstonkid said:

Why didn't one of the marines or members of the embassy not come out and deal with him.  Also why are we saying a Marine was arrested.  He is not a marine but a veteran. 

The Thai authorities should not be the only person assisting this guy.  The Military staff at the embassy should also be doing something for him.

Once a Marine...always a Marine.

11 hours ago, Jester69 said:

You People denegrating a man who has done <deleted> you couldn't in your life time Should Keep your mouths shut ... It proves how stupid and you are.

Let's see you after doing What he has been through.

#<deleted>.

I was going to tell him where most of us are from mental patients become doctors and police officers even all the time. Not really an exaggeration either. Oh and yeah that’s happened here before as well. I don’t know remember what happened in Korat at Terminal 21? I once saw a cop in the United States wig out once and have some sort of psychological episode in front of all his colleges as well who let him get away with it.

He’s not a cop anymore but he did get away with it for quite a few years before he was caught. 

Edited by zippysteve
  • Like 2