Could i get insured while stranded in thailand

nomad2019

Is there any companies who will insure me while im here for next couple mo ths untill i get back home.

Im 53 yr old.

Cannot get medical check from uk obviously.

Im concerned about coming down with an illness , my kidney function was bad last year.  I also had gum disease last month and may need dental treatment so i want be covered.

Thanks ????????????????????????

58 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Your kidney function problems and gum disease will be classed as pre-existing conditions so it will not be possible to get insurance cover for those.

Im not going to tell them about any conditions, i dont have access to uk doctor or files so how would they know

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, nomad2019 said:

Im not going to tell them about any conditions, i dont have access to uk doctor or files so how would they know

So, your gum decease just suddenly popped up? When applying for a health insurance you'll have to answer a s**t load of questions and check 100 boxes where you actually swear that you're ok when signing the application. 

• Like 1

Travel insurance T & Cs are highly specific to your origin country, so you need to check.  You can likely get accident/emergency cover, although that wouldn't cover pre existing conditions without a waiting period.

Most or all health insurance would also have a waiting period depending on the specifics of your condition.  

As as for not disclosing that information, in the event of a serious incident you will have to sign release forms to access all previous medical records.   They may or may not find out that you withheld the info.   If they don't find out they will probably pay, but of course you would also be committing insurance fraud and face fines/gaol if caught.

Edited by Mick501

18 minutes ago, Jaxxper said:
2 hours ago, nomad2019 said:

Not an expert, but isn’t that fraud ? 

From a practical perspective all they would do is not pay up having pocketed the premium. They only investigate once a claim is made. So if he was registerd with a uk doctor when he was treated in uk for these conditions he would be asked to supply a copy of his uk medical report (the insurers can’t just access it -data protection-) and not doing so would stop his claim . Most uk insurers don’t allow you to take insurance once Yoir trip already started anyway 

5 hours ago, nomad2019 said:

They'll make it up if they have to. They create fiction so as to deny claims. But without fiction it's easy to determine those kinds of things. Some things don't just happen overnight. From what I know about gum disease (gingivitis, periodontitis) whatever treatment you've already received should get you through two months, unless your teeth and jaws are rotting right off your face. but you should ask your own doctor. You should be getting advice from all your doctors, not Thai visa,  about how safe you are for 2 months. Having said that I was treated outpatient for a kidney stone and bladder infection, I passed the stone, three days worth of hospital visits at Phaya Thai hospital were less than $300 including meds and a urologist. If your kidneys are not bad enough to require dialysis or a transplant 2 months should not present undue risk. 

Edited by Jonathan Swift

Talk to your embassy and tell them of your health concerns. I think your best bet is to get out of here as soon as possible. I can't see how it would take 2 months. I was able to get a replacement for a canceled flight to the US with only a 2 week delay. I think you should spend your energy looking for flights rather than insurance. Meanwhile, social distancing is working here, I think you're safe from just about everything. Thailand has one of the lowest corona death rates in the world . Don't expose yourself to mosquitoes, use repellent, and take it as it comes and don't worry yourself to death. 

3 hours ago, nchuckle said:

From a practical perspective all they would do is not pay up having pocketed the premium. They only investigate once a claim is made. So if he was registerd with a uk doctor when he was treated in uk for these conditions he would be asked to supply a copy of his uk medical report (the insurers can’t just access it -data protection-) and not doing so would stop his claim . Most uk insurers don’t allow you to take insurance once Yoir trip already started anyway 

They would refuse payout I think, ref the Gum disease they would ask when was your last regular dental chack ups? No proof...no payout.   Likewise the Kidney issue, they would tell you it has been a long time issue and pre existing..no payout. 

Of course you can lie...but having worked for a large insurer, I can tell you they have heard all the stories, good luck and stay well/

Try https://safetywing.com .. they do medical travel insurance that can be bought for any period while already abroad and does not require being registered with GP at home. They do cover acute onset of preexisting conditions.. not sure about dental although they also have a premium product called remote health. I've used them and they have good friendly customer service so just message them online.. I wouldn't hide anything and they can then recommend the right product and you'll know if you will be fully covered or not.

• Thanks 1