Thailand's March foreign tourist arrivals tumble 76.4% year-on-year amid virus crisis

webfact

On 4/23/2020 at 11:07 AM, madmitch said:

There were plenty of tourists arriving in the first half of March, many taking advantage of cheap flights and packages from Europe and Russians who already had bookings were reluctant to cancel.

Nothing to dispute in these figures.

Spoken by someone who apparently was not staying in a hotel anywhere in Thailand during said period.

I was (been in many Thai hotels every day since 02 January--- well, except for my 1 day VR to Laos).  The only thing propping them up at that time were the Chinese who refused to go back to China. The only actual arrivals were refugees from hotels that were closed (this has actually provided some very favourable hotel arbitrage opportunities for those stuck here).

That arrivals # is pure fantasy produced from a particular orifice that also, depending on the day, expels something that either ends up in the loo or in a policy/press release.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, idiot farang said:

Spoken by someone who apparently was not staying in a hotel anywhere in Thailand during said period.

I was (been in many Thai hotels every day since 02 January--- well, except for my 1 day VR to Laos).  The only thing propping them up at that time were the Chinese who refused to go back to China. The only actual arrivals were refugees from hotels that were closed (this has actually provided some very favourable hotel arbitrage opportunities for those stuck here).

That arrivals # is pure fantasy produced from a particular orifice that also, depending on the day, expels something that either ends up in the loo or in a policy/press release.

I dont know where you were staying but that certainly was not the case in Phuket and many other beach resorts. The Chinese may not have been there but other nationalities were.

Beach resorts were still very busy during the first half of March and Russians in particular were still arriving even after the middle of March. Phuket's beaches still resembled high season for much of the month. 24% of last year's total is completely believable.

Many UK tourists came in late February early March, because they had already paid for their holidays and at that stage if they cancelled they lost everything. You only get refunds if the Airline cancels. I am sure same for most other Europeans. My sister-in-law and partner were 2 of those. He left early for work reasons, she had an extra 2 weeks and got her return flight cancelled 2 days before she left (still here).

I'm sure those 135,000 Lao were tourists ......

• Like 2