Com-mart In Bangkok?

swain

Bangkok Post reported in the database section a while back that com-mart has specials on computers for under 10k baht? No information on what the specs were. Just curious, where are the best places to buy a laptop now? Not a big fan IT mall, and have not had good experiences with them. Have nothing against mail order either but dont want import duties of 20-46 percent as I have heard others talk about. Is there mail order in Thailand? Yes yes... more than one question and I am sure its not original either... if there is a topic on this subject please put me there. I am up here in Chiang Mai but am not against going to bangkok to pick one up.

Thanks

Edited by swain

Commart had a few things really marked down but they were in limitted number say, 10 available at that price. Of course tens of thousands of people go so one is not getting it (and I saw one of the no name laptops for sale at 15k, I kid you not it hurt to look at the screen).

You can buy a decent laptop for around 23k. Depends what you need it for. If you want to use internet, office programs, watch a dvd, etc then one doesn't need to spend a lot. Only those who are say editing video, playing games, need an espensive machine or if one wants a very light machine one also has to payout.

There's a shop on the 3rd floor of Pantip selling Core Duo laptops for 17,900 + VAT. (TCL, which I believe is one of the big contract manufacturers).

Admittedly, that's Core Duo, not Core 2 Duo, and it's a T2050, which is a reseller-only chip (1.6GHz, 533MHz FSB)

But the screen looks pretty good, has 512Mb of RAM, a 60Gb hard drive and built-in 802.11g. Compared to the other things around, it seemed such a good deal that I bought one. (was shopping for a new computer for my daughter, and she's very happy with the laptop. So far at least, everything's working fine (touch wood))

There are always ads for promotions like this at the computer shows. You'll see things like "Digital SLR for 50% off!", but the reality is that there will be an extremely limited number (perhaps 1 per day) and there will be some requirements, like you need to buy 40k baht worth of stuff first. Also, many times, the product is sold out even before the show opens. It's not worth the bother.