Insect making high frequency noise

I apparently have an insect in my plumeria tree which makes a constant loud and uninterrupted high frequency noise.

I can't see the insect, and shaking with the branches doesn't make it stop.

Any idea what insect this may be?

2 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

switch the house lights on, they stop then. The mating season has arrived, It comes from a female circardar faking it,

I doubt in the middle of the day that gonna make much difference lol

• Haha 2

Yup cicadas !!

I lived in Brazil for many years and the sound there was very loud, the locals didn’t pay much attention unless they were in a tree near their house in which case they would blast them with a hosepipe so they would relocate , hopefully further away.

It is the males which make the noise and you can usually hear several answering with the strange almost electrical humming sound.

You could get a sprayer and some insecticide, but that would kill pretty much everything else in tree as well.
It would give you some peace and quiet for a short spell though, probably a bit longer than spraying with water, but eventually they'll come back.

• Sad 3

3 hours ago, Jaxxper said:

Sounds like a cicada. Surprised you only have 1 to serenade you. 

Yes I heard only 1, which was during daytime, and actually haven't heard it again since the day I made my post.

Sometimes at night I hear them, but they are in trees outside my property, and actually at a distance that they don't disturb me.

Cut the tree, shot the “cigarra”, keep back your gun in the belt and come back to the bed????.

It’s Just a dream.

Sorry, have “Cigarras” like you and  close to my bedroom for years.

Edited by Tarteso

I was running around the house half a night to find which one of my several UPS' that failed, and made a high frequency noise. I have seven on the grund floor, as second floor bedrooms have remote wired UPS from ground floor, so any high frequency noise won't wake one up due to power cut alarm. It was difficult to hear the exact direction of the sound, and as often with failures, every time I got close to an UPS, it stopped. I began switching them off one by one, and making sure everything was off, but the alarm sound continued. Finally all seven power supplies were totally dead as Dodos, but the alarm was still screaming it's high frequency noise, on and off. I stood still and waited a while, it began again, I realized it came from the kitchen – wondering what unknown smart device I had there activating an alarm...???? – it stopped when I entered the kitchen room, I searched and searched, and finally I found a huge cicada sitting in the kitchen sink and laughing of me...????

• Haha 1

Thais eat them. They are fried and taste much like shrimp. I've just asked Madam Moon and she confirmed that still catch wild ones, but they're also breed for eating. I've seen them for sale in the markets.

On 4/26/2020 at 1:31 PM, Susco said:

I doubt in the middle of the day that gonna make much difference lol

They don't make a noise during the day, night time and early morning gets a circadar juices going. If you hear one during the day it's a pervert.

I don't have a clue what it is but I sure as heck know what it isn't. It isn't a Cicada. Cicada's make a very loud raspy sound. Quite low in pitch but very loud. Not a high frequency sound as the poster claimed.

1 hour ago, Kurtf said:

I don't have a clue what it is but I sure as heck know what it isn't. It isn't a Cicada. Cicada's make a very loud raspy sound. Quite low in pitch but very loud. Not a high frequency sound as the poster claimed.

This is the sound I hear. My native language is not English, but to me this translate to high pitch.

• Thanks 2