Suvarnabhumi ready for normal operations from May 1

Jonathan Fairfield

12 hours ago, EricTh said:

I need to fly to Bangkok to have some Michelin meals....

Oh dear! That´s what I call really hard. Living without that must have been terrible. Here we have people losing their jobs and income, that need economic relief packages. Then we have the ones that "need" their Michelin meals.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, ukrules said:

It's going to be interesting to see what they call 'normal' when it opens.

Yep, the biggest questions is what kind of documents that is going to be needed, insurance and how easy those will be available.

13 hours ago, OnTheGround said:

Ssssshhhhhhh

Only one thing missing 95%:

Passengers

Are you fining that funny? All countries will have to struggle to come back.

• Confused 1

I think they will be waiting a long time for passengers as my wife has just been notified by BA that her May 30th flight from U.K. to Thailand has been cancelled this is the second cancellation she has had on top of that the Thai regulations of having $100,000 insurance that states in writing that you are covered for Corona virus and a letter from a doctor saying you do not have the virus is impossible to get and without these you will be turned away at your departing airport

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Suvarnabhumi Airport will be ready to open again on May 1 after a temporary closure due to the pandemic crisis

So is there going to be mandatory 14 day quarantine on entry of the country?

14 hours ago, Pravda said:

Normal or not Thailand comes out out of this a clear winner.

No bailout of the poor, no currency devaluation. 

CAD to THB 18

AUD to THB 14

USD to THB 40

very soon

If your selling AUD at 14 please consider me.....I will take all you have and even pay 16....... as the rate for AUD has now risen to just under 21......highest for a while.....I do agree Thailand has done well considering the amount of Chinese tourist they have had this year.

2 hours ago, crazykopite said:

I think they will be waiting a long time for passengers as my wife has just been notified by BA that her May 30th flight from U.K. to Thailand has been cancelled this is the second cancellation she has had on top of that the Thai regulations of having $100,000 insurance that states in writing that you are covered for Corona virus and a letter from a doctor saying you do not have the virus is impossible to get and without these you will be turned away at your departing airport

If Thailand still will require coronavirus insurance, a certificate that you don't have the virus and a 14 day quarantine after arrival, I am not sure why anyone would want to come as a tourist. 

The hassle factor is just too much for a vacation. 

• Like 1

CAAT will be extending the incoming flight ban for another 15 days.  Only folks getting in are repatriated Thais, and they are being screened and then placed into a 14 day quarantine at the Governments location of choice hotels.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Silent Number said:

A few tissues and alcohol to wipe those fingerprint checkers that multitudes touch before you might help.

On the 5th Feb I went into Malaysia through Padang Besar and as well as the screening and passport history check there was a guy outside each Thai immigration desk making people use hand sanitiser and wiping the fingerprint machine each time it was used. The Malaysians weren't doing fingerprints.

Of course to many these procedures were worthless and did nothing towards keeping the numbers down.

16 hours ago, ukrules said:

It's going to be interesting to see what they call 'normal' when it opens.

Who used the word "normal"? I can only see it in the media title, not in any quote.

Once again the great unknown, "they"

All this talk of social distancing when flying is nigh on impossible. Queuing up at the gate to board the plane, shuttle bus to the plane if not accessed by gateway, walking past seated passengers to get to your seat, toilet on board the plane.

15 hours ago, Pravda said:

Normal or not Thailand comes out out of this a clear winner.

No bailout of the poor, no currency devaluation. 

CAD to THB 18

AUD to THB 14

USD to THB 40

very soon

Post it in 12 months time see if your wrong ,

If by 'normal' they mean operations like before the CVD19 pandemic, that's quite impossible since many countries' boarders are still closed, people have to sort out more important issues than going on a tour (if they could afford one, for a start!) and so on. If they actually meant 'open for essential flights' i.e. Thais and PRs can return and trapped foreigners can leave, that's not really 'normal' is it?

Anyway, I can sense Thailand's desperation in trying recapture the tourism golden goose that has, in fact, left the nest way before the pandemic struck. Might as well take this opportunity to sort out priorities properly and make sure the coronavirus is well and truly under control and contained before embarking on something ambitious or heroic that may actually backfire.

There is a difference between the aiport being ready to resume operations, and airlines being ready, willing, or able to fly. 

Swampy's job is to receive and dispatch passengers...they say they will be ready to do that.  The actual moving of those passengers is not up to them.  Too many people are fixated on the word "normal". 

PH