Question about masks

offset

I do not know why we need to wear masks too, especially if they check temperature everywhere. If my temperature is ok, that means I am healthy and have no virus, if i have no virus why they enforce us to wear mask. I personally cannot stand a mask. Breathing very difficult, very uncomfortable. Very, very bad experience. The thing that make me sad i cannot see smiles on other people. I feel like someone deliberately wants to damage mental health of population. They want us feel sick, fear everything and be alone. Also this social distancing you know how bad it is this feeling. We humans are social creatures being social for us is essential. Touch someone, make a handshake - this is essential. I would prefer live free or die trying rather than accept all that quarantine enforcements.

Edited by MarkZ
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, MarkZ said:

I do not know why we need to wear masks too, especially if they check temperature everywhere. If my temperature is ok, that means I am healthy and have no virus, if i have no virus why they enforce us to wear mask. I personally cannot stand a mask. Breathing very difficult, very uncomfortable. Very, very bad experience. The thing that make me sad i cannot see smiles on other people. I feel like someone deliberately wants to damage mental health of population. They want us feel sick, fear everything and be alone. Also this social distancing you know how bad it is this feeling. We humans are social creatures being social for us is essential. Touch someone, make a handshake - this is essential. I would prefer live free or die trying rather than accept all that quarantine enforcements.

I think you miss understand me i think everybody should wear masks I am 75 years old with a son to look after. The WHO. says only people infected should wear mask but with this virus who knows if they have the virus many people not have systems and have had the virus without knowing but they still can infect others that is why mask should be worn

The WHO. says that mask not help protect against the virus but say that it helps protect health works that seems strange to me

I also think that Thailands use of masks as helped get the figures down what ever they are

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MarkZ said:

You can be infected and spreading virus for 2 days before symptoms show. So a normal body temperature reading does not mean you are not infectious. Masks do help - and are most effective when everone wears them + social distancing and cleaning hands. Many shops won't let you in without a mask and getting temop checked. I'm sure these practices will stay in place once more shops open up. 

• Like 2

Lay a mask down on a flat clean surface.

Sprinkle some dust or ash on it and then lift the mask up and see how much has penetrated through to the flat surface. There will be none or hardly any. 

Then do the same with a spray of water from a trigger operated container such as the ones that contain kitchen cleaner. Again you will see that none or very little has penetrated through to the flat clean surface.

Then decide for yourself whether they are effective or not.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

Lay a mask down on a flat clean surface.

Sprinkle some dust or ash on it and then lift the mask up and see how much has penetrated through to the flat surface. There will be none or hardly any. 

Then do the same with a spray of water from a trigger operated container such as the ones that contain kitchen cleaner. Again you will see that none or very little has penetrated through to the flat clean surface.

Then decide for yourself whether they are effective or not.

Not really a valid experiment, since you are breathing in, which pulls air in through the open sides (unless you have a very well fitted N95 mask or equivalent). The real purpose for everyone wearing masks is not to prevent getting the virus, but to limit spreading the virus.

Health workers wear different masks with a certified protection factor. That protection factor implies a higher level of filtering, which makes them more difficult to breath with, they are hence only worn for a limited amount of time at a time by people trained and used to wear them. Try that as a farang when temeperatures in Thailand are 32 Celsius or something.

Otherwise, health workers wear your run-of-the-mill paper masks on general principle, as they are more prone to having caught something themselves, unnoticed, so they don't go around spreading it to the dozens of patients they see every day. Same lack of protection for themselves, but more comfortable than those make-shift cotton ones you could buy over the first days of the shortage that would get soaked in your sweat within 10 minutes, the linen ones you can get now are far better, comfort-wise. I have not been able to get my hands on the (not-certified) ones with the valves I see the hospital workers around here waer when doing their shopping over break time.

8 minutes ago, Saradoc1972 said:

Health workers wear different masks with a certified protection factor. That protection factor implies a higher level of filtering, which makes them more difficult to breath with, they are hence only worn for a limited amount of time at a time by people trained and used to wear them. Try that as a farang when temeperatures in Thailand are 32 Celsius or something.

Otherwise, health workers wear your run-of-the-mill paper masks on general principle, as they are more prone to having caught something themselves, unnoticed, so they don't go around spreading it to the dozens of patients they see every day. Same lack of protection for themselves, but more comfortable than those make-shift cotton ones you could buy over the first days of the shortage that would get soaked in your sweat within 10 minutes, the linen ones you can get now are far better, comfort-wise. I have not been able to get my hands on the (not-certified) ones with the valves I see the hospital workers around here waer when doing their shopping over break time.

Wait, you are seeing hospital workers in shops with valved N95 masks? Great way for them to spread the virus to others. 

On 4/27/2020 at 6:53 PM, Gulfsailor said:

Wait, you are seeing hospital workers in shops with valved N95 masks? Great way for them to spread the virus to others. 

From what I know the valves (don't know about "N95") are for air-intake, possibly with a tiny amount of filtering not amounting to a certified protection factor with the inherent air resistance, and will close when there is a positive pressure on the inside, i.e. the wearer is exhaling, letting that out through the fabric and the sides of the mask where it does not fully seal against the skin of one's face. Which, like your paper, cotton. or linen masks, will to a certain probability catch larger aerosole particles containing larger amounts of whatever contaminants might be in there. Effectively, they are doing their job protecting others as much as the ones we can get our hands on right now as much as those would do or would not, but are more comfortable to wear.