Booze industry urges govt to lift prohibition

snoop1130

35 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I sometimes wonder what people are thinking when they buy imported beers, I doubt they come in by air freight.

You have an interesting point here. Actually never thought about it assuming that beer would last for at least some months. The shelf date is printed on the bottle so I will check the next time I buy.

However the good news is that enjoying an imported Weihenstephaner "Vitus" (7.7%) has never been short of fantastique ! Apart from the ridiculous price they demand that is.

4 minutes ago, moogradod said:

You have an interesting point here. Actually never thought about it assuming that beer would last for at least some months. The shelf date is printed on the bottle so I will check the next time I buy.

However the good news is that enjoying an imported Weihenstephaner "Vitus" (7.7%) has never been short of fantastique ! Apart from the ridiculous price they demand that is.

The shelf life of beer at 20 C is 1-2 months. Heat is the enemy. I have that statement courtesy of the Chief Chemist of Carlton and United Breweries in Melbourne. They have very sophisticated laboratory equipment to measure flavor components and their degradation. Quadrupole mass spectrometers coupled to gas chromatographs.

I'm guessing, but it is possible the congeners in higher alcohol beers are less susceptible to breakdown due to the preservation effect of alcohol. One doesn't hear of whiskies becoming undrinkable.

6 hours ago, samran said:

There are no small producers in Thailand. To get a beer production license you need to produce 100 million litres per year and have 10 million baht paid up capital in the company. 

Big and small are relative terms.  No Thai beer company is even close to Singha which can offset the costs (to a certain extent) with water sales and their other business offshoots.  .

11 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Also beers from other ASEAN countries such as Cambodia, Vietnam and Burma which, in my personal opinion, are far more superior! Unfortunately, not to be, due to the protectionism of the two "establishment" brewing families (Thai Bev and Singha Corp).

Really like the beer in Vietnam half a quid a bottle and have never had a hangover and i,'ve slung enough of it down my scagg.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, kingdong said:

Really like the beer in Vietnam half a quid a bottle and have never had a hangover and i,'ve slung enough of it down my scagg.

Even cheaper in Cambodia - around 40p (UK) for a small glass/can!

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

12 minutes ago, Throatwobbler said:

Hearing reports that you can buy alcohol on the 1st and 2nd of May and then it will be banned again for the rest of the month.

Probably more to do with rumour control, it is up to the governors of each province to decide whether to end the ban or not, as far as I can see no such decision has been made.

21 minutes ago, Throatwobbler said:

Hearing reports that you can buy alcohol on the 1st and 2nd of May and then it will be banned again for the rest of the month.

I would consider that a gift horse.  Down to 5.44 liters of Heineken.

Edited by moontang

7 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Please remember, there are, I believe, members of the Thai "establishment" that would welcome an indefinite alcohol ban - along the lines of the Temperance Society in the UK and other countries!

'Coronavirus: 700 dead in Iran after drinking toxic methanol alcohol to ‘cure Covid-19’'

Adam Forrest : UK Independent 28th Ap.

Doesn't life get confusing?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SteezyP said:

And why it would only start from 3 May and not from 1 May?

If it get extended you can be assured that there will be no 2 day window

Edited by Susco
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

13 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Absolutely correct. The congeners in beer that give it flavor are very unstable, anything more than six weeks old and they are gone.

I sometimes wonder what people are thinking when they buy imported beers, I doubt they come in by air freight.

...probably in a cooling chain in between 6 and 12 degrees centigrade. That is good enough.

7 hours ago, Wake Up said:

You have never been to a Thai village. The Thai village grocer- liquor stores sell liquor 365 days a year. The owners usually live at or adjacent the to the store. The enforcement of alcohol bans don’t apply to these Thai owned village businesses.  

Which is fine so long as they have stocks, how do they restock once sold out though?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, texascsa said:

I draw the line on Leo, sugar beer with a bite that nearly all Thais drink. Most horrible beer I have ever drunk/drank

Chang is worse, especially for daily drinking.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

Chang is the most horrible beer I have ever tasted. Leo is far preferable. Actually the best beer in Thailand.

or you can buy Nonthaburi made Heinekens and Tigers, without supporting the pigopoly.

I haven't had a drop of Thai beer since moving back here 7 years ago. Chang grenades are by far the worst but the others aren't much better. 

Honestly I'm not a huge fan of Asian beer in general. The Koreans make the worst of the lot, followed closely by the Chinese and the Thais. Japan's drops are decent enough, however. 

9 minutes ago, durianfan said:

I haven't had a drop of Thai beer since moving back here 7 years ago. Chang grenades are by far the worst but the others aren't much better. 

Honestly I'm not a huge fan of Asian beer in general. The Koreans make the worst of the lot, followed closely by the Chinese and the Thais. Japan's drops are decent enough, however. 

Pretty tasty for 50 cents.  Nice squid for 1.50..

1011566_666969873332765_1559159072_n (1).jpg

Edited by moontang

If Boon Rawd and the other breweries were wise, they would have ponied up enough money to make all restrictions go completely away. They are complicit in their own problems. The rest of the population pays bribes when they have to, why should brewers be an exception??

Dark lager,especially on tap was not a bad drink,there are a few that do Old Speckled Hen and IPO  around 185 a pint,but for the bar stool enthusiast,the Chang /Leo/San Mig/ etc etc  its likened to slivers of frozen turds being drunk

In Tesco's there was a Chinese lager,pint glass about 65  baht  not bad,but you are home drinking

The Heineiken 00 is an imported drink,closely mimics the European Heineken,not a bad drink in its own right,but the filthy muck that Thai breweries pump out is outrageous .    Let a bottle of frozen Thai brew get warm before drinking will put you off it for life

Edited by izod10
  • Like 2

By stopping people from drinking alcohol, how do they think they are going to make money if people don’t break the curfew law?  No ticket for driving without helmets. Nobody going to jail, how are the courts going to make money? 

Best of all, people are tried of looking at the mates. They finally see what they look like with having a drink in their system. See The true side affects of what red lights and alcohol do to you. ????????????????????????