Sex Education creator Laurie Nunn: 'You can't make sex scenes flowery!'

snoop1130

Sex Education creator Laurie Nunn: 'You can't make sex scenes flowery!'

By Rebecca Nicholson

8688.jpg

On the verge of giving up … Laurie Nunn, creator of the Netflix hit. Photograph: David Levene/The Guardian

Laurie Nunn is remembering her own experience of sex education.

It was, she says, “practically nonexistent” at her school, which is ironic, given that she is responsible for one of the most candid TV shows ever made about the subject.

“They didn’t talk about female pleasure at all,” says the writer.

“I’m in my 30s and I feel like I’m only now starting to get the right language to talk about my own body. I think, ‘God, I wish I’d known this stuff when I was in my 20s.’”

Full Story: https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/apr/27/sex-education-creator-laurie-nunn-netflix-interview-you-cant-make-sex-scenes-flowery

I guess she hasn't watched "Last Tango in Paris". Upfront most Americans are prude when it comes to birds and bees (they make up for it behind closed doors though). Compare sex scenes in an American movie where not a strand of pubic hair to be seen or a female nipple to be shown to the European counterparts... (that reminded me of the bathtub scene in "Pretty Women" where Julia Roberts and Richard Gere were cavorting in bubble foam, I had to double take ie rewind because I wasn't sure whose nipple it was that was flashing by!)

Recently I listened to an interview in which a "intimacy" consultant (newish type of job in the movie industry) describes how to work with actors and teach them to be "comfortably" naked around one another and still hit the marks. This is in LA, mind you. While in Europe it goes without saying that's the job of the film director.

Sure, we all had <deleted> sex education at school ( I had none at all ), but The Joy of Sex came out decades ago ( 1972 ). There is no excuse for not learning about it if one wants to.

Plenty of American actresses she could have asked for advice. I watched Body Heat ( 1981 ) the other night and Kathleen Turner certainly looked like she knew what she was doing.