Criteria for Govt Handout

KhaoYai

My wife has a small hair salon in Korat. Her business was closed under the new regulations regarding Covid 19.

She has applied for the Government's 5000 baht per month handout but as yet hasn't received it.  My understanding was that the payment is only for those registered for tax and social security - my wife's income is under the threshold.  She says all she needed was her ID number - no prood of her business.

Does anyone know what the criteria are?

Yep. A lottery.

Just luck if you get it or not.

My Wife was forced to close her clothes shop in the market.

Not registered the same as your Wife.

Amazingly she actually got the payment last week.

Edited by fishtank

Can I ask if the state help really, is just a lottery?

My GF has said this is 'the way'.  I find it hard to accept.

She worked in a spa, now closed and was told she's a farmer(!) and not getting the payment.

She appealed/reapplied last week and is yet to get a response.

I keep telling her she is entitled to it as a Thai citizen, not believing that any country would treat unemployed people in need, this way!

Love to hear other peoples experiences...

17 hours ago, IntheSouth said:

... and was told she's a farmer(!) and not getting the payment ...

There's a separate scheme for farmers (haven't heard that any farmer has received any money yet, though...). The problem is: your lady was registered as a person in a farmer family, once upon a time. My guess is that she never bothered to register somewhere else (which is pretty much the usual thing in Thailand, when people move). Even if she had, the "farmer registration" is probably an entirely different thing, and she would probably have to visit the city hall in her (registered) home and tell them to un-register her as a farmer... And good luck with that ????

OP your understanding is wrong. Anyone can apply but yes you do need your ID card number and a good story on the application. There are many who have lied about being unemployed and have been given the 5,000. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, jimn said:

OP your understanding is wrong. Anyone can apply but yes you do need your ID card number and a good story on the application.

OK, fair enough. My wife gave her ID number, I have no idea what she wrote on the application but her salon is clearly visible if the wanted to check. She's not received anything - nor has anyone in her family. They are not and have never been farmers so they shouldn't be excluded that way.

It looks like she's not going to get anything so god knows what they have to do to be successful.

1 hour ago, jimn said:

OP your understanding is wrong. Anyone can apply but yes you do need your ID card number and a good story on the application. There are many who have lied about being unemployed and have been given the 5,000. 

My daughter was initially rejected and told to re-apply which she did.  She received approval a few days ago.  She was employed and lost her jobs both in a restaurant and on stage (actress at Cicada)

She was entitled.  However, my wife's mother was asked for details by the headman and he claimed as a block.  Within days he was round giving everyone their 5 grand which they will get for the next couple of months.  My wife's mother HAS NEVER WORKED.  She owns some rooms and collects rents which she still does.  Her handout is a bonus.

Being a 'farang' I have to keep my nose out, but it's a disgrace.

I'm sure this is replicated all over Thailand, corruption being acceptable.

Personally, I hope she gets found out along with the rest of the fraudsters.  But...... TIT.

1 hour ago, HHTel said:

My daughter was initially rejected and told to re-apply which she did.  She received approval a few days ago.  She was employed and lost her jobs both in a restaurant and on stage (actress at Cicada)

She was entitled.  However, my wife's mother was asked for details by the headman and he claimed as a block.  Within days he was round giving everyone their 5 grand which they will get for the next couple of months.  My wife's mother HAS NEVER WORKED.  She owns some rooms and collects rents which she still does.  Her handout is a bonus.

Being a 'farang' I have to keep my nose out, but it's a disgrace.

I'm sure this is replicated all over Thailand, corruption being acceptable.

Personally, I hope she gets found out along with the rest of the fraudsters.  But...... TIT.

It is quite common I am afraid. A free give away to many that do not qualify for it. The process is flawed and ill conceived.

It appears that maybe most of those that are rejected because they are 'farmers' have never updated their address and are possibly still on their parents(?) tabien baan and the householder is registered as a farmer.

My wife runs a market stall and is registered on our house Tabien baan. She got the 5k straight away.

Her friend on the next market stall is still registered on her mothers Tabien baan in her village. She was refused the 5k because she was a 'farmer'.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, EvetsKram said:

My wife also has a small hair salon in Korat,  we live in it.  The housebook is in her name and she did not qualify either.  It really sucks when they close you down then do that <deleted> to you

OK, that's my theory up the Swanee. Luck might be the next best. 555

5 hours ago, jimn said:

You are also wrong. Anyone can not apply for the ฿5000 for three months. There are three categories of workers and one category is self-employed outside the social security system. They are the only ones who can apply for the money. The other two groups gets their money from other sources and will get rejected if they apply. 

• Confused 1

I have a feeling that being an active tax payer either right now or in the past might have something to do with it but that's just a hunch.

There are going to be many people who aren't in the system at all.

On 4/27/2020 at 9:02 PM, IntheSouth said:

Can I ask if the state help really, is just a lottery?

My GF has said this is 'the way'.  I find it hard to accept.

She worked in a spa, now closed and was told she's a farmer(!) and not getting the payment.

She appealed/reapplied last week and is yet to get a response.

I keep telling her she is entitled to it as a Thai citizen, not believing that any country would treat unemployed people in need, this way!

Love to hear other peoples experiences...

You ought to try and get unemployment in the UK if you want to be treated really badly, there was a damning report on the UK gov. by the United Nations on the way the UK gov. are treating people, this of course has been hushed up by the gov. and the media. It seems like it's gov. policy to kill off the destitute and disabled, I kid you not...

9 hours ago, ukrules said:

I have a feeling that being an active tax payer either right now or in the past might have something to do with it but that's just a hunch.

There are going to be many people who aren't in the system at all.

The majority of the Thai working population I should say...

18 hours ago, Max69xl said:

You are also wrong. Anyone can not apply for the ฿5000 for three months. There are three categories of workers and one category is self-employed outside the social security system. They are the only ones who can apply for the money. The other two groups gets their money from other sources and will get rejected if they apply. 

I personally know someone who was paid the money via prompt pay direct into bank account. This person does not belong to any of the 3 categories. It was applied for directly on the site for the 5,000 baht. I dont know what other source you are referring too?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kenchamp said:

Wonder if having a farang surname might hinder your chances

Also crossed my mind but the whole family, with the exception of my brother in law who got his on Monday, are in the same boat.

Another strange aspect of this 'handout' is.........

A married couple who live near my wife have each got their 5000 - they have no kids.

My wife has a child and if she gets the handout, it will be just 5000. So one household with 2 people gets 10,000 whilst another gets half that. No consideration of people's individual circumstances takes place. From what I hear, a great many people who really don't need any help have received their 5000.

Single parents with multiple kids must be desperate.

Seems crazy.

All the worst of Thai culture on display: (1) Vague rules vaguely & inconsistently enforced (2) Thais as individuals their own worst enemy - failure to register or to change registration or address/occupation last year or 10 years ago and so not within the scope of the exercise, but still complain bitterly.

Rules don't apply to ME but I should still benefit from them!!

59 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Another strange aspect of this 'handout' is.........

A married couple who live near my wife have each got their 5000 - they have no kids.

My wife has a child and if she gets the handout, it will be just 5000. So one household with 2 people gets 10,000 whilst another gets half that. No consideration of people's individual circumstances takes place. From what I hear, a great many people who really don't need any help have received their 5000.

Single parents with multiple kids must be desperate.

Seems crazy.

Well if the married couple are both Thais then they are both entitled to it in their own right.  Children are not mentioned on the application.  I'm guessing that your wife being Thai is entitled but assuming you are a foreigner are not.

51 minutes ago, HHTel said:

Well if the married couple are both Thais then they are both entitled to it in their own right.  Children are not mentioned on the application.  I'm guessing that your wife being Thai is entitled but assuming you are a foreigner are not.

Perhaps you 'speed read'? Nowhere have I mentioned my entitlement - which is of course, non-existent. I don't live in Thailand by the way.

The point I'm making is that a married couple (Thai) with no kids are getting 5000 baht each whilst single parents only get 5000, no matter how many kids they may have. If you can't see the problem with that, I feel sorry for you.

On 4/27/2020 at 9:02 PM, IntheSouth said:

She's registered her home address in a house book for a farm.

What don't you understand?

Edited by BritManToo

13 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Perhaps you 'speed read'? Nowhere have I mentioned my entitlement - which is of course, non-existent. I don't live in Thailand by the way.

The point I'm making is that a married couple (Thai) with no kids are getting 5000 baht each whilst single parents only get 5000, no matter how many kids they may have. If you can't see the problem with that, I feel sorry for you.

Of course I see the problem.  Unfortunately, children do not come into the equation which is what I was pointing out.  Therefore two adults can make a claim regardless of whether they have children or not! 

13 hours ago, BritManToo said:

My (former) misses says she was refused for having a foreigner surname.

(but she lies a lot, so who could know)

My daughter has a 'farang' surname and she's already received her money.

18 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Maybe the mother is expected to get a payment from the absent father(s)