Restaurants are closed and holidays are scrapped for May

michaeltheR

Just now, tonray said:

Because it's when people tend to gather in groups, socializing and potentially spreading the virus

but they d gather in groups at the work place. And who says they will be partying on May Day. Many just want to stay home and relax.

The problem isn't May Day (or whatever you want to call it) alone. 

There are two holidays next week on Monday and Wednesday, take one day off work and you get a 6 day break, plenty of time to go and visit family and deliver them a nice, viral present. The same argument was used when Songkran was "postponed".

I don't like it, but I do see the logic if it actually happens (not seen an official notice yet).

I also suspect that the alcohol ban will be stretched until Tuesday (Wednesday is a no-alcohol holiday anyway)

20 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Looks like our OP was misinformed, at least about the holidays:-

Fine, so we can now finalize the bet whether government offices/immigration are open on May 1 :tongue:

I bet open.

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

There are two holidays next week on Monday and Wednesday, take one day off work and you get a 6 day break, plenty of time to go and visit family and deliver them a nice, viral present. The same argument was used when Songkran was "postponed".

I don't like it, but I do see the logic if it actually happens (not seen an official notice yet).

I also suspect that the alcohol ban will be stretched until Tuesday (Wednesday is a no-alcohol holiday anyway)

Glad I was misinformed about the holidays. At least some days rest

• Like 1

4 hours ago, michaeltheR said:

But I guess its okay for wagies to be working in populated offices daily. Can anybody explain to me why holidays like labour day are seen as a health hazard.

Source? Link?

5 minutes ago, Puccini said:

What's all this about 1 May labour day holiday?

Since when has the first of May been a public holiday in Thailand?

It's always been a holiday but not for government workers. They get Ploughing Ceremony day off instead. 

Edited by KhaoNiaw
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, michaeltheR said:

Glad I was misinformed about the holidays. At least some days rest

With a bit of luck the police won't come and arrest you for spreading false information on the Internet with your opening post of this topic.

The government has already figured it out.  Hold the holidays but tell all the little people to stay home.  They can watch the Special People, Elites, and Hi-So celebrate on TV from the confines of their little peasant homes.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Crossy said:

But with so many people unemployed currently because their workplace is shut, they would not need a holiday to make the trip, since they have 7 day a week holiday already

Just now, connda said:

The government has already figured it out.  Hold the holidays but tell all the little people to stay home.  They can watch the Special People, Elites, and Hi-So celebrate on TV from the confines of their little peasant homes.

So true...