US rejects Thai request, GSP suspension takes effect

webfact

6 hours ago, ravip said:

Better if banned 100%

Nah, where you been? Thailand loves that break the U.S. gives em, WTH - Thailand used the money for subs and tanks and warships. Oh h*ll yeah, 100% banned my A88!

Edited by Dap

2 hours ago, ravip said:

Just to help suck the whole thing up, what are the merchandise that qualify for a 600% tariff please?

Various. From simple products like certain dairy products (see Jessi's post directly following yours) to wines and other merchandise perceived as "luxury".  

9 hours ago, webfact said:

US rejects Thai request, GSP suspension takes effect

That's Karma for you , Thailand doesn't Give Free trading to No one .Just see how much you get Ripped off when you try to Import Anything from Other countries You Pay Up to 300% Import duty on product cost /tax on and including Insurance . Now That's what one can Call Greed /Corrupt . Thailand Doesn't want Foreign products imported ,Why? Because they're made better than the Thai made Copies/products.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ravip said:

Yes, we all know about GSP!

That's the way to keep the poor nations on a leash and make them behave like good children.

Makes me think of... long, long time ago, I have read stories and seem films, where there were some people called slaves and  others called Masters.

Bit like the modern Indian caste system. 

• Like 2

Don't worry.  In three months the US economy will be a train-wreak along with most other economies.  Tariffs will be widespread with all countries engaging in domestic protectionism.  Anyway, why is Thailand complaining.  It should look at its own draconian tariffs.

16 hours ago, johng said:

Good,  free trade is supposed to work  in both directions  Thailand can  scrap its  taxes on "luxury" items

30% on shoes !    200% on vehicles  wine, beer ?% etc  then maybe other countries will reciprocate.

Thanks to orange man trump . 

16 hours ago, ravip said:

Yes, we all know about GSP!

That's the way to keep the poor nations on a leash and make them behave like good children.

Makes me think of... long, long time ago, I have read stories and seem films, where there were some people called slaves and  others called Masters.

The U.S. goods trade deficit with Thailand was $19.3 billion in 2018.

As Thailand has run a trade surplus with the US for a couple decades, and taxes imports of US goods, in many cases at a high rate. This move was inevitable. 

How this fits in with your slave/master, rich/poor construct, I would have no clue. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Yadon Toploy said:

Bit like the modern Indian caste system. 

Absolutely! Globally the 'casts' exists, although some choose to deny it vehemently. Racism is the order of the day, which also is denied by the worst perpetrators.