travel to Bangkok for hospital appointment

streetlite

My next appointment at Bumrungrad is scheduled for June 3, 2020. I see an Internist every 3 months for blood work and am prescribed an array of medications. I travel from Nakhon Sawan. My concern is with traveling between Provinces at the moment and not getting my necessary medications. If I cannot get them I will be stopping abruptly which could create a health concern or a system shock.

I don't know the question I am asking but I am looking for some advice on how others have handled any similar problems. Thanks.

It is very much expected that such travel will be possible by then, likely before then. restrictions are expected to be ease in May

It is also probable that most or all of your medications can be purchased at  a pharmacy. Very few medications require  a prescription in Thailand. Of course you should see your doctor periodically to make sure they are having desired effect and make any needed dosage adjustments etc. But if for some reason your appointment is delayed you can still get your meds at a pharmacy.

In fact most people even when seeing the doctor opt to buy their meds separately at a pharmacy since it saves a great deal of money, hospitals mark the prices way up.

There are also options for getting meds by mail/delivered to you, see this thread

There is and has been no issue with travel in or out of Bangkok outside of curfew hours and indeed even medical clinics are expected to resume operation on May 1.  

But as said above there is likely no issue with postponing doctor visit and just continuing on current medications.  I did that for my wife last month as she did not want to visit hospital (and doctor was on leave anyhow) so just had nurse check with doctor and make pharmacy order for 3 months of current medications.

In a medical emergency you can even ignore curfew.

Make sure you have an appointment and if the police stops them tell them you have an appointment. And if necessary let them call the hospital and confirm it.

And/or call your doctor and ask him if there are alternative arrangements. 

• Like 2

I fravelled from Hua Hin to Bangkok last weekend for a medical appointment - no problems.  If you have an appointment card or letter from the hospital, that should help you get through any road blocks.

Good luck.

On 4/28/2020 at 6:17 PM, Sheryl said:

In fact most people even when seeing the doctor opt to buy their meds separately at a pharmacy since it saves a great deal of money, hospitals mark the prices way up.

@streetlite, I also go to Bumrungrad. You should listen to Sheryl regards the pricing. Bumrungrad marks their meds up even higher than other hospitals.  There are many meds that most pharmacies do not stock, so locally in Nakhon Sawan may be a challenge, especially Boots, Big C, Watsons, etc. I suggest finding one owned by a Thai of Chinese decent or one located near the Sawanpracharak/Hospital Paknampho 2, Sri Sawan or Romchat Hospitals in Nakhon Sawan.

In my case, I buy what I can at Pure (Big C) and the rest from a pharmacy not far from Bumrungrad.

Edited by AgMech Cowboy
Added content

I drove from Khon Kaen to Bangkok 2 weeks ago to get a new passport. No problems.

I attended my normal 3 monthly hospital check-ups, and to pick up new prescriptions, at 2 hospitals last week. The hospitals were both very quiet, very few patients, but all the usual doctors and nurses were present (albeit with little to do). No problems.

You should honour your appointment particularly if it is for a chronic problem.

On 4/28/2020 at 6:57 PM, streetlite said:

Thank you, Cheryl

Even if your appointment was before the end of May, you're allowed to visit a hospital in another province. If you have to pass s checkpoint they want to see some proof of the appointment. When coming back home again, you might have to self isolate for 14 days depending on restrictions in your home province.

On 4/28/2020 at 1:17 PM, Sheryl said:

It is very much expected that such travel will be possible by then, likely before then. restrictions are expected to be ease in May

It is also probable that most or all of your medications can be purchased at  a pharmacy. Very few medications require  a prescription in Thailand. Of course you should see your doctor periodically to make sure they are having desired effect and make any needed dosage adjustments etc. But if for some reason your appointment is delayed you can still get your meds at a pharmacy.

There are also options for getting meds by mail/delivered to you, see this thread

That's for sure something you learn quickly. Never buy medications at hospital.