What type of Covid 19 pandemic person are you?

CG1 Blue

2 hours ago, Sighto said:

"Seriously people — STOP BUYING MASKS!” tweeted Adams in late February. "They are NOT effective in preventing general public from catching #Coronavirus

Americans think wearing a mask is only about protecting themselves. Asians know that wearing a mask is about protecting others. Tells you a lot about Me vs We societies.

It has been demonstrated that masks greatly reduce the velocity and spread of droplets when coughing and sneezing and even talking. 

If a virus is respiratory, a mask is the simplest, easiest way to reduce the spread of droplets from one person to another

13 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Americans think wearing a mask is only about protecting themselves. Asians know that wearing a mask is about protecting others. Tells you a lot about Me vs We societies.

It has been demonstrated that masks greatly reduce the velocity and spread of droplets when coughing and sneezing and even talking. 

If a virus is respiratory, a mask is the simplest, easiest way to reduce the spread of droplets from one person to another

I have to say it baffles me how such a simple concept cannot be grasped by the public and some governments. Whenever I hear someone trying to counter the mask wearing argument by saying "yes but most masks cannot filter out the virus blah blah blah" I want to throw something at the TV / radio. 

Anything that reduces the distribution of virus infected droplets is obviously better than nothing ????‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Max69xl said:
23 hours ago, Felt 35 said:

Where is the realist's?

Exactly, where is that category? I guess you won't find them here. 

It's subjective. As I said earlier, feel free to replace any of the categories with Realist if that floats your boat 

If these governments do not open things up soon... we are going to start to see that financial doomsday scenario many are talking about. The domino effect is going to even surpass the 1933 world-wide markets crash. If this insanity of sheltering in place continues and you have not prepared for it, it is going to get very ugly for you. IMO, the numbers are inflated. I won't go into my resume/CV, but I am in the know on this. It's crickets over there at 99% of the hospitals on this planet. There is no emergency and keeping our society shut will bring devastation that none of us have ever experienced... and the powers that shouldn't be know this. Do your part and start to scratch the surface on everything you are being told by your governments, the "authorities" and your MSM. You have been warned. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, seancbk said:

I'm loving this whole stay at home thing and as a non drinker I'm finding it increasingly amusing listening to people complain they can't get drunk.  Makes me realise how and pathetic people are.  Boo hoo you can't have a beer, it's not going to kill you (unless you are a bonefide alcoholic!)

Not everyone who enjoys a drink or two gets drunk ! But hey if you want to play the tambourine at home go ahead. 

18 hours ago, seancbk said:

I suspect every year we'll have 3 months of schools and businesses closing and a lot more restrictions. 

I doubt it. That would really destroy every economy.

More likely they'll accept reality and take the Swedish option. I wish they'd done it anyway. Likely I'd be dead, but I don't want to live in a ruined world anyway. I barely survive on the pension anyway, and if they reduced it because nation bankrupt I can't see myself hanging around.

9 hours ago, Tounge Thaied said:

If these governments do not open things up soon... we are going to start to see that financial doomsday scenario many are talking about. The domino effect is going to even surpass the 1933 world-wide markets crash. If this insanity of sheltering in place continues and you have not prepared for it, it is going to get very ugly for you. IMO, the numbers are inflated. I won't go into my resume/CV, but I am in the know on this. It's crickets over there at 99% of the hospitals on this planet. There is no emergency and keeping our society shut will bring devastation that none of us have ever experienced... and the powers that shouldn't be know this. Do your part and start to scratch the surface on everything you are being told by your governments, the "authorities" and your MSM. You have been warned. 

Agree with what you wrote, except I think it WILL be worse. NZ should be back to almost normal by now, but we face at least one more week at almost lockdown and possibly longer. Every day more people lose their jobs as businesses accept the inevitable. No jobs, no taxes paid= no pensions. Yet, every day the gov'ment tells us what a great job they are doing.

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Agree with what you wrote, except I think it WILL be worse. NZ should be back to almost normal by now, but we face at least one more week at almost lockdown and possibly longer. Every day more people lose their jobs as businesses accept the inevitable. No jobs, no taxes paid= no pensions. Yet, every day the gov'ment tells us what a great job they are doing.

Or maybe it won't be worse? Assuming most of the world's lockdowns will be more or less lifted by 1st June, that'll be around 3 months of inactivity. If the global economy can be destroyed by 3 months of inactivity, can it not also bounce back once activity resumes? Yes there will be businesses that fail, but new businesses will replace them. 

15 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

If the global economy can be destroyed by 3 months of inactivity, can it not also bounce back once activity resumes? Yes there will be businesses that fail, but new businesses will replace them. 

I can only speak as to how I see it in NZ.

A large part of the economy depended on overseas tourists which will not be returning for a long time. Domestic tourism may pick up if they reduce their way too high accommodation rates, and most tourist attractions are priced too high as they had rich tourists visiting, but that's not going to help those involved in the part of the industry solely about overseas tourists.

Many businesses have already failed, and closed. Will take a lot of government stimulus to reopen them, but do they have the money to do so? Eg, the local cinema was already doing badly, and I can't see it opening again. For things like whiteware we may have to travel to the city where the large corporate companies are. I do see the large stores wiping out the small local businesses. For every job lost that's less discretionary spending on non essentials.

The one bright spot is agriculture. On the news they estimate 50,000 new jobs, but they will be at way less pay than people may have had before, and our population has perhaps become too soft for people to work on farms. The average youth that lives on their computer isn't going to take kindly to getting up at 5 am in winter to milk cows- we can't even get the unemployed to pick fruit.

Obviously this too will pass, but it's how it affects people used to big wages with maxed out credit and huge mortgages that will be crucial.

BTW, if it means that offices are now redundant and they all work from home that can only be a good thing. Traffic jams were crazy before.

• Like 1

To OP, you forgot to include the realist. The person who sees the real picture. The person who does not believe the babbling and constant bulls..t of governments and their "experts". The person who does not consider him/herself a conspiracy theorist but is intelligent enough to see through transparent objects. A person who can gather data from various sources and compare them. A person who would rather do their research than listen to the "experts". 

This is exactly the problem with the world. When someone is not on your side, he is immediately considered a conspiracy theorist.

Yes we all know China, Iran, Afghanistan, North Korea, Cuba, Venezuela, Bolivia and Assad and many more are the evils trying to destroy our wonderful capitalist values, and Covid, and the "terrorists", and the "bad" cholesterol (<deleted> is bad cholesterol, the one that is required to clear your blood of fats?), the fat you eat etc.... 

The  realist doesn't believe in obvious bol..cks see above.

An optimist when it comes to Thailand for sure. It is gone here. Fried. Eviscerated. Let's get things open and get people back to work. Elsewhere? What can one say about the good old USA? Number one for sure. In Covid. 

Some seem to want to cling to the apocalypse scenario. Some won't let it go. I have a very intelligent friend who claims that if restaurants with AC open, they will be murdering their patrons. Yet, this is NOT an airborne disease. The droplets are simply too heavy to make it into the AC unit, much less be pushed out on the other end. Seems like reason and science do not apply for so many. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, garrya said:

To OP, you forgot to include the realist. The person who sees the real picture. The person who does not believe the babbling and constant bulls..t of governments and their "experts". The person who does not consider him/herself a conspiracy theorist but is intelligent enough to see through transparent objects. A person who can gather data from various sources and compare them. A person who would rather do their research than listen to the "experts". 

This is exactly the problem with the world. When someone is not on your side, he is immediately considered a conspiracy theorist.

Yes we all know China, Iran, Afghanistan, North Korea, Cuba, Venezuela, Bolivia and Assad and many more are the evils trying to destroy our wonderful capitalist values, and Covid, and the "terrorists", and the "bad" cholesterol (<deleted> is bad cholesterol, the one that is required to clear your blood of fats?), the fat you eat etc.... 

The  realist doesn't believe in obvious bol..cks see above.

The conspiracy theorist is a particularly interesting one for me. A person continually believing we are being lied to about most things. Always suspicious. It must be quite a stressful way to live life. 

They probably do hit on some truths occasionally.  

13 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

The conspiracy theorist is a particularly interesting one for me. A person continually believing we are being lied to about most things. Always suspicious. It must be quite a stressful way to live life. 

They probably do hit on some truths occasionally.  

Everyone lies. The classic lie is responding to "does my bum look big in this?". What man is going to say yes?

Everyone lies about some things, but politicians lie more than most. I tend to believe that when they are talking they're telling porkies.

The biggest lie I ever heard from politicians was "work hard and pay your taxes and when you are old we'll look after you".

As for conspiracy theories, IMO everyone loves them, even if they lie and say they don't.

Anyway, a conspiracy theory is just one that hasn't been proven yet.

17 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

An optimist when it comes to Thailand for sure. It is gone here. Fried. Eviscerated. Let's get things open and get people back to work. Elsewhere? What can one say about the good old USA? Number one for sure. In Covid. 

Some seem to want to cling to the apocalypse scenario. Some won't let it go. I have a very intelligent friend who claims that if restaurants with AC open, they will be murdering their patrons. Yet, this is NOT an airborne disease. The droplets are simply too heavy to make it into the AC unit, much less be pushed out on the other end. Seems like reason and science do not apply for so many. 

I'm told on the radio every day that if I go within 2 meters of anyone else I'll be killing them.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm told on the radio every day that if I go within 2 meters of anyone else I'll be killing them.

And those radio personalities should be arrested for inciting panic in the public. Better to not listen to the nincompoops anyway. They really have very little to say that is worth hearing. 

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Have you got a tape measure? Get one and everybody should be fine then.

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Everyone lies. The classic lie is responding to "does my bum look big in this?". What man is going to say yes?

Everyone lies about some things, but politicians lie more than most. I tend to believe that when they are talking they're telling porkies.

The biggest lie I ever heard from politicians was "work hard and pay your taxes and when you are old we'll look after you".

As for conspiracy theories, IMO everyone loves them, even if they lie and say they don't.

Anyway, a conspiracy theory is just one that hasn't been proven yet.

I do enjoy conspiracy theories, and I think you're right that most people enjoy them. That's why shows like X-Files are so popular. 

• Like 1

Any one who thinks governments are looking out for the people during this vastly overblown manufactured Covid madness.....Well you should speaks to the 100s of millions of unemployed people who are now on the edge of poverty for no good reason.... 

8 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Any one who thinks governments are looking out for the people during this vastly overblown manufactured Covid madness.....Well you should speaks to the 100s of millions of unemployed people who are now on the edge of poverty for no good reason.... 

Governments across the world are not going to crash their economies for no good reason. Yes, different choices could have been made, e.g. Sweden. But to suggest a government would choose to crash their own economy for no reason is a stretch. 

20 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

And those radio personalities should be arrested for inciting panic in the public. Better to not listen to the nincompoops anyway. They really have very little to say that is worth hearing. 

It's advertisements for you know who. Some of the "personalities" on talkback that I listen to are against the diktat, and have similar opinions as I on many aspects.

I try to ignore them, but they happen so often it's impossible to shut them all out and still listen to the good parts of the show.

The real problem is that some actually believe them.

11 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Governments across the world are not going to crash their economies for no good reason. Yes, different choices could have been made, e.g. Sweden. But to suggest a government would choose to crash their own economy for no reason is a stretch. 

No, but explain why a government continues destroying the economy when the infection/ death rate is too low to justify continuing the lockdown?