Flu cases overestimated in previous years?

cdemundo

ER doc states that " it occurred to me that, in four years of emergency medicine residency and over three and a half years as an attending physician, I had almost never seen anyone die of the flu. I could only remember one tragic pediatric case."

So how could it be if so many were dying of the flu?

Interesting thoughts regarding comparing flu and Covid deaths counts.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/comparing-covid-19-deaths-to-flu-deaths-is-like-comparing-apples-to-oranges/

• Like 1

I know nothing about corona virus or the flu, but I know this.

In 2010 after coming from Japan I got a flu which lasted almost 3 months. Doctors in Canada told me to just sit at home and stay hydrated. 3 moths later I got permanent breathing problems that last to this day. I was 36 at the time and had no medical problems. 

So, the above article stinks of BS to me. If I was 70 years old I would have probably croaked. 

9 minutes ago, Pravda said:

In 2010 after coming from Japan I got a flu which lasted almost 3 months. Doctors in Canada told me to just sit at home and stay hydrated. 3 moths later I got permanent breathing problems that last to this day. I was 36 at the time and had no medical problems. 

So, the above article stinks of BS to me. If I was 70 years old I would have probably croaked. 

Flu doesn't last 3 months. You had something else and was misdiagnosed.

Did you die? No? Then you don't count. That's what the OP was referencing, people ASSuming deaths and counting events that did not occur.

• Like 1

I guess you mean in the US? In Finland the mortality from influenza was about ‭0.00073‬% in 2014, something like 40 dead from over 5.5M. The numbers have since gone up (H1N1 I suppose) but no, I never personally heard of anybody actually dying directly from it. Most were apparently older people with multiple underlying conditions already at the gates of death.

From the official statistics, deaths in Finland directly attributed to influenza (I have link to the article but in Finnish so not not allowed to paste here, it's in stat.fi, Finland's official bureau for statistics ) :

taskinen_influenssa-01.svg

‭0.00073‬% is a wee bit less than the current bout of covid, eh?

EDIT: Ok so google translate allows the entire page to be translated: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=fi&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.stat.fi%2Ftietotrendit%2Fartikkelit%2F2020%2Fkuinka-monen-kuoleman-syy-on-influenssa-kertovatko-luvut-kaiken%2F

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Pravda said:

Just curious, did you read the article?