‘The Assistant scares people because it’ll force them to confront their own behaviour’

snoop1130

‘The Assistant scares people because it’ll force them to confront their own behaviour’

By Alexandra Pollard

screen-shot-2020-04-29-at-16.08.00.jpg

Julia Garner and Kitty Green on the set of The Assistant ( Ty Johnson )

There’s a reason we never see the villain in The Assistant.

“A lot of people like to think, ‘Well, Harvey Weinstein is in prison now, it’s all fixed,’” says Kitty Green, whose new film was inspired by the #MeToo movement.

“I wasn’t trying to explore the bad apples. The film’s pointing to a larger problem, a systemic problem – a cultural problem, essentially – that still continues.”

As the first film to tackle the Weinstein revelations head-on, The Assistant could have been gratuitous, sensationalising the trauma many women endured at the hands of the disgraced Hollywood producer. 

Full Story: https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/features/kitty-green-interview-weinstein-metoo-the-assistant-sexual-behaviour-a9490586.html

• Haha 1

Many women collude in the activities of monsters like Weinstein, for their own benefit, and to the detriment of other females who they call to arrange “meetings” in his hotel room. And some who attend such meetings do so complicitly, a quid pro quo, so to speak. There are genuine victims of course, but some of his victims were complicit. A harsh statement to make, but no less true for that.

• Like 2

Harvey came unstuck as a result of MeToo, but it also seems far more people who were innocent have also come unstuck. The rapist stain doesn't wash off once the mud is thrown.   

Most western legal systems have a governing idiom that it is better 100 guilty men go free than one innocent man be convicted.  MeToo advocates seem to think it's fine to reverse that notion.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Brickbat said:

Everything we judge in others is embedded in our own psyche. And furiously denied! 

And furiously denied but many, but not all.  I try not to judge as it's not 'right', but trust me I don't deny my own failings.