Dogs Chasing/barking At Motorbikes

Ok! don't shoot the messanger, but there is another potential solution...see attached links. Am of the option that a combination of training and positive reinforcement is necessary, but shock treatment worked for Pavlov.

http://www.k9magazine.com/viewarticle.php?...id=0&npage=

http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/nsea...CFQ-Wbgod9GwtHw

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Pavlov

I'm not expressing an option on this, just offering it up as an option. Hopeful with a combination of some of the answers listed the solution may present itself.Chubbly

Hi there,

I'm happy you add this sentence.

E-collars are prohibited by law in the police dog training in Holland (not that everyone listens to this law unfortunately). This must have a reason!

E-collars are inhumane, especially when used by laymen. When not knowing how to use a device like that you can do great damage to the dog's psyche.

There are humane ways of solving the chase problem as mentioned in the OP, it only needs a lot of time, effort and above all patience.

nienke

it must be about the treatment they get as youngsters from Thai males, he never chases Farangs.

mine never chase farangs either- only thais. i don't really have much sympathy for the thais.

thanks bina and nienke for your good advice!

it must be about the treatment they get as youngsters from Thai males, he never chases Farangs.

mine never chase farangs either- only thais. i don't really have much sympathy for the thais.

thanks bina and nienke for your good advice!

You might start training (which should be ON-lead and NOT off-leash, which i typed wrong in my former post. Sorry about that) with farangs then. Because, then you have more chance on rewarding good behavior. Once the good behavior with approaching,and passing, farangs has rooted in, you can start with a Thai friend, then a Thai acquintance, etc. You need to ask friends to help you out in these training sessions.

Can you keep us updated on the progress. I would really appreciate that.

Nienke

the one problem i still have is that whenever a thai person drives into our soi, the dogs run after them growling and barking and chase them away. it scares the crap out of the thais and they have threatened to shoot the dogs. i have tried screaming at them, throwing rocks at them, etc. and nothing works so far. is there any other way to stop them that anyone knows of?

GirlX, I wouldn't scream or throw rocks at any Thai on a bike - have you tried befriending them with a case of beer? :o

jose '-)

Edited by Jose

• 9 months later...
i have sort of adopted (started feeding) 2 grown dogs who were previously street dogs. i had some problems with them early on (eating neighbors chickens/rabbits, dragging out trash, following me and starting fights in the neighborhood, etc.). most of those have resolved as they have become well fed and comfortable... the one problem i still have is that whenever a thai person drives into our soi, the dogs run after them growling and barking and chase them away. it scares the crap out of the thais and they have threatened to shoot the dogs. i have tried screaming at them, throwing rocks at them, etc. and nothing works so far. is there any other way to stop them that anyone knows of?

hmm this is an old topic... i should mention i still have these two dogs and they no longer chase motorbikes! they stopped on their own, no idea why! occasionally the thai boxing truck comes around with their loudspeaker ("tonight! superfight!") and they go a little crazy then, but no problems with motorbikes any more. now my problem is that when the bars on the beach set off fireworks they try to go hide in my neighbor's house! so i have started tying them up at night.

i have sort of adopted (started feeding) 2 grown dogs who were previously street dogs. i had some problems with them early on (eating neighbors chickens/rabbits, dragging out trash, following me and starting fights in the neighborhood, etc.). most of those have resolved as they have become well fed and comfortable... the one problem i still have is that whenever a thai person drives into our soi, the dogs run after them growling and barking and chase them away. it scares the crap out of the thais and they have threatened to shoot the dogs. i have tried screaming at them, throwing rocks at them, etc. and nothing works so far. is there any other way to stop them that anyone knows of?
I used to have a dog that would chase a man every morning on his motorbike,so i took the dogs motorbike off him ! :o