Spain. Looks like numbers shot up

https://ncov2019.live/data

30K plus new cases, totaling 14% of all of their cases.

Seems to me as soon as lockdown ends, cases go up.  Keeping people locked up forever isn't a solution and I'm sure Spain is mandating social distancing, washing of hands etc.  

Seems to me it's inevitable that countries will have to allow this to go through the population at some point.  Question is, is it sooner and get things back up and running, or later and just keep their people locked up?  

It will be interesting to see what numbers Italy comes out with as they too are easing restrictions.

Interesting notes from Singapore about Spain.   https://www.euroweeklynews.com/2020/05/05/spain-could-potentially-be-coronavirus-free-by-september-reveals-latest-global-research-from-sutd/

Edited by steelepulse
  • Like 1

I have said this would happen from day 1 . Lockdowns etc are lifted or relaxed and people seem to forget what they were there for in the first place.

But I agree we cant keep the world locked up forever, but need to open very slowly.

• Like 1

30K plus new cases, totaling 14% of all of their cases.

Most likely due to the antibody tests becoming more prevalent there's far more cases being revealed, is all.

Far cheaper and quicker testing could explain a spike in numbers of identified cases.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Since months we are aware that "healthy positives" or positives with mild symptoms could be more than reported.

Of course now there are more tests, and the number of positives will rise.

Although is the number of deaths and the number of the severely affected that really counts, i suspect that the rising count of the positives will be used to prolong the restriction measures.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Far cheaper and quicker testing could explain a spike in numbers of identified cases.

Yes, could be a testing thing.

Austria are also opening up and have not recorded a spike of new cases.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/may/05/coronavirus-live-news-who-and-five-eyes-reject-chinese-lab-theory-as-global-deaths-pass-250000?page=with:block-5eb15abf8f0823bcf60b5c47#block-5eb15abf8f0823bcf60b5c47

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vermin on arrival said:

I checked worldmeter and they gave these stats:3,121 new cases and 244 new deaths in Spain. Maybe there was a decimal point mistake. The number of deaths match but there is a huge discrepancy in the new infections.

Weird, number of deaths in agreement, but new cases are certainly off!

spain.png

• Like 1

I keep checking worldmeter and see no massive spike. I think there is some error in that other source. Looking at Spain's curve it would be more than 4 times the infections during Spain's peak of infection when the infections occured during the period 7-14 days before when most likely there was really no mitigation going on.