Cover Letter for UK Visit

Hi there
        I would like to be a sponsor / guarantor for my 19 year old step daughter to visit UK for first time. 
I've looked after her in Thailand for 17 years.  I divorced her mother last year. 

I believe it's a letter plus evidence?
Which format e.g. pdf, jpeg,   or old style paper copy? 
Should my daughter include this with her VFS application?

In the UK I'm blessed to own my property (with spare bedrooms), and fortunate to have the required cash on deposit.
Rather than a short visit, we're thinking of an educational visa. 

Are there some hints,tips or guadance as to the relevant content of the letter ?   
Is there anything else I can do to help?

thanks

If your step daughter wishes to visit the UK, it's she that needs to convince the ECO, the decision maker, that she's a genuine tourist, I'd assumed she'd intended visiting for a short holiday, the trip is affordable and that she has sufficient ties to her home country to satisfy the ECo that she is likely to leave at the conclusion of her holiday.

In her application she should outline the details of her proposed trip, length and what she intends doing, she really needs to outlins her ties to Thailand, especially as she's a child.

If you are paying for her trip you need to prove that you afford that you can afford to do so, and that it's reasonable to do so, there's no set amount for a visit visa. 

You mention an Education Visa, if this is the case she needs to provide details of the course she's attending and that she's qualified to do so, if her intended course is near your then of course you can put her for the duration. 
It seems to me that you think a Student Visa is the easiest option to visit the UK, that isn't the case, she needs to be a genuine student.
I wouldn't worry about the format of the covering letter at this stage, they're scanned and uploaded, she really needs to concentrate of the purpose of the visit, and if she's a genuine student she needs to satisfy the decision maker.