Rude Western cyclists

OzMan

Just now, peleid said:

Living in wrong part of Thailand no such problems where I live

Just now, peleid said:

Living in wrong part of Thailand no such problems where I live

Nor where i live. They scrape them off the road within 30 mins.

• Haha 1

On 5/7/2020 at 6:12 PM, Ventenio said:

Those "Western Cyclists" probably hate you as much as you hate them, and they do that to TRIGGER you, which they did.  So, NOW, try the reverse...

next time you see a "Western Cyclist," yell to them "Hey buddy, love you!!! Great job, Thanks for being a swell guy!!!!  Have a nice day!!!!"

I'm not a cyclist, but I know the type he is complaining about. ????????

But, you sound like a righteous <deleted>. ???? 

• Haha 1

On 5/7/2020 at 6:19 PM, Pilotman said:

Sport cyclists and the cycling mafia in the UK are inconsiderate, selfish, none law abiding, axx holes.   Maybe some have imported that attitude to Thailand? 

Who really cares? 

• Like 1

On 5/7/2020 at 8:07 PM, StreetCowboy said:

He is the epitome of which he complains.

I sometimes drive my car, and I occasionally get irated by other drivers who in my opinion are behaving badly.  I sometimes think "I'm not going to put up with that" and respond in kind, with less courtesy than usual.  If I did not have both hands on the wheel I would then slap myself
"I are allowing his bad driving to make my driving worse; is my bad driving going to improve hs bad driving, or make his even worse still? Why not try and see if good driving on my part will improve his?"

There is no excuse for bad driving, least of all other people's ignorance or stupidity.

SC

A very good attitude, I wish there was more people with your thinking

Man, I have been biking around Thailand for a couple of decades, plenty of problems with Thai manic retards on the motorized version of the 2-wheelers, but farangs on pedal bikes only once (as a farang you are usually on the receiving end of  aggressive motorcycle gangs who hate everybody, especially farangs) :2 of these Mormons, or Jehova witnesses, young Americans, clean cut, dressed up in neatly ironed shirts with a tie, going around trying to convert locals from the great teachings of the Buddha to their idiotic religion They zipped past me on their bicycles with less than an inch to spare, almost fell off my bike. Screamed insults at them, but these saints totally ignored me, in all likelihood just fully focused on the Lord and his guiding hand. When the Lord is with you, you can't hurt. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Who really cares? 

I did, when I was trying to pass them on a single carriageway road and they were taking up the whole damn thing and wouldn't move. Sunday in Kent was a nightmare. 

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

I did, when I was trying to pass them on a single carriageway road and they were taking up the whole damn thing and wouldn't move. Sunday in Kent was a nightmare. 

Yeah my nephew tried this on me one day

I told him if you want to do 70mph travel on a motorway, if you want to do 20mph travel on a country road where you will come across, cattle, tractors and cyclists!!

• Like 2

On 5/7/2020 at 7:42 PM, Lacessit said:

Perhaps the OP should consider finding a cycle path which is wider, so his sensibilities are no longer outraged.

No, the self imposed semi-pro cyclers should, but hey, they love the scenery so much with their heads down.

Sheer testosterone fuelled arrogance,a product of the “look at me generation”, but now quickly being adopted by anyone who can buy 

Lycra with logos and has sufficient imagination to believe they are a professional cyclist.   My experience of UK ,but seen also in Hua Hin where my neighbour and his pals all wear “teamcolours” and take it in turns to “set the pace” .....to be fair,Ive not seen them on their road race,and perhaps are exceedingly polite?

• Like 1

As a cyclist (for exercise only on country roads) I used to ride to town (hua hin) daily as I live in the country about 10 kms to the west. In the last few years the traffic has trebled and I'm terrified to ride to town now or on any busy road . No one is watching the road and I mean no one ! In Most fatal or critical cycling accidents they are struck from the rear and never had a chance. When I'm riding my Motorbikes driving defensively is not good enough you have to be aggressive. I don't mean fast but actively focused and ready to manuever away from danger as it's everywhere. 

Be safe ..

6 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I'd have more tolerance for car drivers if their seats were line astern, rather than two abreast, so they took up less space on the road.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

In the States a cyclist has to obey every law a motor vehicle driver has to (including no phones). I have been hit 5 times by cyclists while walking. And many additional near misses by cyclists not stopping at stop signs. I assume you follow all the laws that pertain to cyclists, correct?

in my town many streets have lanes where the cyclist is allowed use of the full lane. In an adjoining small city there is a road that is 1 lane in each direction plus a bike path next to the road. The road lanes allow the bikers to use the full lanes even though there is a dedicated bike lane right next to it. Absurd.

Anyway, got that off my chest. 555

• Like 1

9 hours ago, elgenon said:

In the States a cyclist has to obey every law a motor vehicle driver has to (including no phones). I have been hit 5 times by cyclists while walking. And many additional near misses by cyclists not stopping at stop signs. I assume you follow all the laws that pertain to cyclists, correct?

in my town many streets have lanes where the cyclist is allowed use of the full lane. In an adjoining small city there is a road that is 1 lane in each direction plus a bike path next to the road. The road lanes allow the bikers to use the full lanes even though there is a dedicated bike lane right next to it. Absurd.

Anyway, got that off my chest. 555

No cyclist wants to hit a pedestrian. Usually the cyclist will go down and suffer more injuries than the pedestrian. If you've been hit 5 times, you're doing something wrong.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, el jefe said:

No cyclist wants to hit a pedestrian. Usually the cyclist will go down and suffer more injuries than the pedestrian. If you've been hit 5 times, you're doing something wrong.

He's maybe a sleeping policeman

On 5/20/2020 at 7:25 AM, el jefe said:

I never said they wanted to hit me. So you've already decided it's my fault. Who are you, god? I am being polite as I always am. 

9 hours ago, elgenon said:

I never said they wanted to hit me. So you've already decided it's my fault. Who are you, god? I am being polite as I always am. 

I never said they wanted to hit you. In fact it's exactly the opposite.
I'll say it differently. Every cyclist will do everything they possibly can to avoid hitting a pedestrian. God has nothing to do with this.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, el jefe said:

I'll say it differently. Every cyclist will do everything they possibly can to avoid hitting a pedestrian. God has nothing to do with this.

Polite people apologise and explain when they are misunderstood.  Rude people assume you are stupid or rude when you misunderstand them.  I am not sure I have ever gained anything bar smug satisfaction from insulting anyone.  Smug satisfaction, and occasionally a well-earned clap in the chops.

Fortunately their rudeness has a price.Its only a matter of time before a pack of Soi Dogs get him, a tired Taxi Driver or anyone else who doesn't use the road as a free Gym brings home the message that no one likes these fancy dress idiots.

10 hours ago, pineapple01 said:

Fortunately their rudeness has a price.Its only a matter of time before a pack of Soi Dogs get him, a tired Taxi Driver or anyone else who doesn't use the road as a free Gym brings home the message that no one likes these fancy dress idiots.

We quite often get a gentle peep of encouragement from passing motorists. Today we had a bloke behind us lending encouragement for some distance as we came down the middle lane towards the Federal Highway, and I was sure to acknowledge it with a cheery wave of my hand above my head as he zoomed past and swerved across to turn left on to the Highway.

As well as motorists, publicans like us.

• Haha 1

On 5/22/2020 at 6:55 AM, el jefe said:

Well, your writing skills are lacking because that is the precise message i got from your writing.

Only if they are aware and care. One day I was running on the Strand the wide cement path along the beach. I didn't see anyone else. All of a sudden I heard "Look out". Then the biker plowed into me from behind. I was running in a straight line, no other person near me and the guy did not swerve to try to miss me. On his phone or spacing. Yet you say it's my fault I got hit. Yes, you have nothing to do with god or sense.

I don’t like cycling amongst pedestrians, nor animals, as they behave unpredictably - you never know when one is going to suddenly dart across your path, freeze in terror, or stop and retrace their steps.  

I try to sound my bell from a safe distance, slow down and give them as wide a berth as possible.  Cats are particularly troublesome; their hearing is very directional, so they are easily startled if you approach them from behind, and like hares, they do not run away from danger but dart across it, to dodge pursuit rather than outrun  it.

7 hours ago, elgenon said:

Well, your writing skills are lacking because that is the precise message i got from your writing.

Only if they are aware and care. One day I was running on the Strand the wide cement path along the beach. I didn't see anyone else. All of a sudden I heard "Look out". Then the biker plowed into me from behind. I was running in a straight line, no other person near me and the guy did not swerve to try to miss me. On his phone or spacing. Yet you say it's my fault I got hit. Yes, you have nothing to do with god or sense.

This guy was riding?- so that's six times? Previously I understood the other five bikers hit you while walking. I guess they must have told you they were bikers, or else had there bikes with them. Middle aged? and, were they wearing Lycra? Or did you just not like them and decided they must be bikers then?

• Like 1

On 5/23/2020 at 6:49 AM, pineapple01 said:

On 5/19/2020 at 8:56 PM, Flyfish said:

Sheer testosterone fuelled arrogance,a product of the “look at me generation”, but now quickly being adopted by anyone who can buy 

Lycra with logos and has sufficient imagination to believe they are a professional cyclist.   My experience of UK ,but seen also in Hua Hin where my neighbour and his pals all wear “teamcolours” and take it in turns to “set the pace” .....to be fair,Ive not seen them on their road race,and perhaps are exceedingly polite?

Like the boring Farangs at the bar in faded football team colours...? Pro's every one.  Most cyclists don't wear lycra to look cool, I know I can't carry that off. ????  A lot of cyclewear comes in team colours. If a rider likes a team and chooses to wear the same sponsored gear? So what. Helps that it is usually brightly coloured for visibilty.... Do cyclists think they're pro just because they are dressed in practical attire? Does the Barfly think he's what's-his-name from Man U? Probably no more than the golfing dude in a Nike T-shirt thinks he's Tiger Woo'. Guessing all are just wearing attire that is comfortably efficient for the task at hand. Get a grip Gents, please.

Edited by bobfish
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1