US Social Security Advisor in CM

Hi all,

I’ve browsed through old threads on TV and poked around online, but I’m not coming up with the info I need.

I’m looking for a US Social Security consultant/advisor here in town.  Maybe they’re billed as a financial advisor/planner or tax consultant, but the bulk of the expertise I’m seeking centers around some semi-complex SS questions.  Someone with basic knowledge of US taxes would be great, but I don’t necessarily need a full-fledged financial planner for investments or “managing my wealth.”

I’d like to locate a real-life individual who’s vetted, and has the credentials or certifications to do their job.

Any suggestions or referrals?

Thanks in advance!

NCC1701A,

I want to find a (Farang/American!) local, because I’m wary of giving out this sensitive info to a stranger or unknown company online.  

I’m sure there are some trusted online services, but this level of online transaction stirs up my spidey-senses...

And sure, if I had a pre-established working relationship with a US Social Security consultant (I don’t need an accountant), I’d certainly be using them now!

Edited by Brightly
  • Like 1

The Home Country forum here is an excellent source of advice. Unfortunately, while it used too be fairly easy to speak to someone at the Manila office, that seems to no longer work.

~o:37;

• Confused 1

I faked a “my account” for SS using a VPN and old US address; it is prohibited to actually start one from out of country.

It has lot of good info, but I can’t initiate any business from that site.

And I’ve heard the horror stories from Manila..!

Still, I do have some out-of-the box issues that I’m not getting answers for.  Additionally, I’d gladly pay someone to do my bidding in terms of initializing my SS.  Hence, I’m still on the lookout for a tax/SS advisor.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Here's a link to a very thorough book about SS:

https://www.amazon.com/Get-Whats-Yours-Secrets-Security-ebook/dp/B00LD1OPP6

You can get it in digital format such as Kindle, probably others as well.  Kotlikoff has written many columns in various publications and some of those will likely turn up through an internet search.  Implementing a couple of his strategies yielded great results for the wife and I.

I've done a lot or reading and tax planning over the years in preparation for our retirement and our upcoming move to Thailand.  If you like you can PM me a question with minimum details and I can likely guide you to the answers.  I'm familiar with a lot of SS and tax issues that a married expat will face.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Brightly said:

I faked a “my account” for SS using a VPN and old US address; it is prohibited to actually start one from out of country.

It has lot of good info, but I can’t initiate any business from that site.

And I’ve heard the horror stories from Manila..!

Still, I do have some out-of-the box issues that I’m not getting answers for.  Additionally, I’d gladly pay someone to do my bidding in terms of initializing my SS.  Hence, I’m still on the lookout for a tax/SS advisor.

Where on Earth did you get the information that " it is prohibited to actually start one from out of country"?  I did set up "my Social Security" account while living in Thailand before being eligible to collect benefits. When I reached the age of eligibility to receive retirement benefits, I applied online and with a very good experience with the offices in Manila received my benefits on time with no hassle. Sometimes I have had to use a VPN to gain access to the my Social Security account; other time not.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, jeffandgop said:

Where on Earth did you get the information that " it is prohibited to actually start one from out of country"?

Probably from the same person that told him he needed a Social Security Consultant 

I set up mine directly from the site the OP went to set up his "fake" account for which he did not need a VPN, just the correct US business hours to log on 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

Probably from the same person that told him he needed a Social Security Consultant 

I set up mine directly from the site the OP went to set up his "fake" account for which he did not need a VPN, just the correct US business hours to log on 

I set-up from Thailand as well, years before I was eligible to collect any benefits. Don't need a VPN either.

They have several "consultants" in Bangkok. Their minimum fee for anything is 60,000 THB. One free 5 minute call.

Edited by elektrified

To the folks who expressed disbelief at my having to “fake” my way into the “My SS” account:

One of the provisos is the applicant *must* have a US mailing address.

Well, I haven’t had a US mailing address in years, so I did in fact have to “fake” my application.  

I only used my VPN as an added safeguard to align my US address and IP address.  It was probably unnecessary.

No we can split hairs about whether this makes filing for the SS website from abroad prohibited, but that’s how I interpreted it.

And to reiterate, I actually had to “fake” my way in with false information.

So I hope we can put this piece to rest.

And for the naysayers who scoff at my quest for a paid SS consultant:  You don’t know my situation.  I have some issues that aren’t readily addressed in the basic literature.  My search for a consultant is prudent.

So please, unless anyone has an answer to my original question, please don’t post just to quibble.

Thanks.

And TimBKK, thanks for your suggestion.  I appreciate it!

• Sad 1
6 hours ago, Brightly said:

To the folks who expressed disbelief at my having to “fake” my way into the “My SS” account:

One of the provisos is the applicant *must* have a US mailing address.

Well, I haven’t had a US mailing address in years, so I did in fact have to “fake” my application.  

I only used my VPN as an added safeguard to align my US address and IP address.  It was probably unnecessary.

No we can split hairs about whether this makes filing for the SS website from abroad prohibited, but that’s how I interpreted it.

And to reiterate, I actually had to “fake” my way in with false information.

So I hope we can put this piece to rest.

And for the naysayers who scoff at my quest for a paid SS consultant:  You don’t know my situation.  I have some issues that aren’t readily addressed in the basic literature.  My search for a consultant is prudent.

So please, unless anyone has an answer to my original question, please don’t post just to quibble.

Thanks.

And TimBKK, thanks for your suggestion.  I appreciate it!

You don't need a U.S. mailing address. That's nonsense. I have not had a US mailing address in more than 16 years and I could apply for My SS.

• Like 1
On 5/7/2020 at 11:47 PM, Brightly said:

but the bulk of the expertise I’m seeking centers around some semi-complex SS questions.  

i know you said you have some questions about SS, but what other questions could there be besides deciding to take SS early and the effect of SS income pushing you into a different tax bracket, if at all?

and for general info for anyone reading this, I am an American living in Thailand, opened the "mySS" account from Thailand (my VPN is always on) applied for SS with the Manila office (it is hell everyone goes through it) used my Thailand address and actually receive letters from SS. Direct deposit is to USA bank. 

again you would be much better off finding a USA tax consultant in the USA where you have rule of law and legal recourse.          

good luck. 

• Like 1

With apologies to the OP, I re-looked at the "my Social Security" website for new users and no, you cannot complete the creation of an online account without a US or US Armed Forces address---the site is limiting the applicant to the contents of the drop down menu which only contains US states/Armed Forces as choices.  That doesn't mean that you have to have an address within the US to apply for social security; and you can change your US address of your "my Social Security" profile, once it is established, to a foreign address by contacting the Manila office.  You can apply online to receive your benefit; but if you live in Thailand, the Baltimore office will route it to Manila for handling. 

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i know you said you have some questions about SS, but what other questions could there be besides deciding to take SS early and the effect of SS income pushing you into a different tax bracket, if at all?

There used to be a few rather complicated strategies to maximize your total benefit payout if you were married, divorced and still single, etc.  A lot of those complex strategies were invalidated by the new law signed Nov. 2, 2015 which effectively eliminated the apply-and-suspend option.  There are still some strategies available and to reap the most benefits does take some calculations and even mathematical modeling to establish guidelines for the claimants.  This is only relevant to married or divorced but still single applicants.  Laurence Kotlikoff wrote an excellent book (Get What's Yours) and has software for sale that will do this for those interested.

In PM's I have apprised the OP where to find the best information to answer such questions.

• Like 1

To open a MySSA Online Acct your credit agency report will need to show a US address (or military APO/FPO address).  SSA uses a credit agency report to validate your identify and address....the SSA calls that agency their "Identity Services Provider."  The SSA has a contract with one of the agencies to provide the validation info.   It does not necessarily have to be your latest US address to get through the validation process.   When I opened my MySSA Online Acct years ago I had a Thailand APO address....that address worked to open my acct.  However, for my wife of over 4 decades who had the exact same APO address, the APO address would not work during the validation process...but our Hawaii address we have lived at six years earlier for over a decade before moving to Thailand did work.  It was like our old Hawaii address was being seen as the wife's most current US address although both the Hawaii address and APO address were shown on all three credit reporting agencies reports.  

Once you do get a MySSA acct open you can have the address changed to show your foreign address....but to initially establish a MySSA Online acct you will need a US address which is validated against a credit agency report database.  You do not need an internet US IP address to sign-up. 

https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/?utm_source=offsite&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=ocomm-eservices-fy19&utm_content=eservice

Now when it come to applying for social security benefits your do "not" use your MySSA acct to do that.  That is done at a separate SSA website.....does not matter whether your have a US or foreign address....you do not need to use a US IP address.   When you apply online for benefits that is "not" opening a MySSA online acct nor will you receive a MySSA Online Acct by simply applying for benefits.  Instead, you are simply applying for SS benefits.

https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/?utm_source=offsite&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=ocomm-eservices-fy19&utm_content=eservice

https://secure.ssa.gov/RIR/CatsView.action

Each person's SS application reflects a different life & work history/situation.   SSA Baltimore International Operations will be the one accomplishing the initial review when you submit an online application.  They may refer/relay it to SSA Manila for certain action(s)...like possibly contacting/calling you to gain some additional info/docs.  And SSS Baltimore does the final review/approval of your application. 

While you can start your application directly with SSA Manila "via email & phone interview" vs submitting an online application, after Manila completes the initial application and collects any necessary docs they need from you, that package is electronically sent to SSA Baltimore Int'l Ops for final review & approval. SSA Manila is basically just like a local SSA office in the US.

Summary: a MySSA Online Account and Applying for SS benefits are two different animals...done at different SSA websites.  A MySSA Online acct is used more to accomplish some basic social security actions, provide certain SS info, etc.,....a person can open such an account if only 18 years old....don't have to wait until they are an Ol' Geezer wanting to apply for SS pension benefits.

Edited by Pib

If applying for a MySSA acct if the validation keeps failing because of your address, I would "not" try more than two variations of your address in one session/over a 24 hour period; otherwise, you'll get locked out for 24 hours if your third address attempt fails.   

Then when you try again in 24 hours and if failing the identity/address verification three more times you are "really locked out" until you call the SSA to get it unlocked so you can try again.   You just can't keep trying different address variations day after day....or week after week....entering many address variations. If doing that the SSA figures someone is trying to steal your identity and blocks/locks further attempts.  Or that's how it use to work a few years ago.   

We went through this with the wife's MySSA Online acct opening until figuring out the old Hawaii address allowed the identify verification process to succeed.  Got "really locked out from further attempts" until calling the SSA and going through a mini-identity verification (an easy one) before they would unlock the wife so she could make further attempts.  In fact, the SSA rep stayed online as more attempts were made by using variations of our APO street/box address....got locked out again....SSA rep immediately unlocked...the SSA rep recommend trying a previous address and that previous address worked. 

And the SSA can not see what address is on your credit report(s); the SSA can only see what address the SSA currently has  on file for your which is "not" used for MySSA Online Acct identity verification purposes and may not match what their Identity Services Provider (i.e,. the credit reporting agency) has on file for you.

Edited by Pib
10 minutes ago, Pib said:

If applying for a MySSA acct if the validation keeps failing because of your address, I would "not" try more than two variations of your address in one session/over a 24 hour period; otherwise, you'll get locked out for 24 hours if your third address attempt fails.   

Then when you try again in 24 hours and if failing the identity/address verification three more times you are "really locked out" until you call the SSA to get it unlocked so you can try again.   You just can't keep trying different address variations day after day....or week after week....entering many address variations. If doing that the SSA figures someone is trying to steal your identity and blocks/locks further attempts.  Or that's how it use to work a few years ago.   

We went through this with the wife's MySSA Online acct opening until figuring out the old Hawaii address allowed the identify verification process to succeed.  Got "really locked out from further attempts" until calling the SSA and going through a mini-identity verification (an easy one) before they would unlock the wife so she could make further attempts.  In fact, the SSA rep stayed online as more attempts were made by using variations of our APO street/box address....got locked out again....SSA rep immediately unlocked...the SSA rep recommend trying a previous address and that previous address worked. 

And the SSA can not see what address is on your credit report(s); the SSA can only see what address the SSA currently has  on file for your which is "not" used for MySSA Online Acct identity verification purposes and may not match what their Identity Services Provider (i.e,. the credit reporting agency) has on file for you.

We froze our credit due to Experian being hacked. Will this credit freeze block getting a my Social Security profile set up?

20 minutes ago, jeffandgop said:

We froze our credit due to Experian being hacked. Will this credit freeze block getting a my Social Security profile set up?

It shouldn't because with a credit report freeze certain companies/govt agencies can still have access to your credit report for certain purposes.  The SSA does a soft credit inquiry with their Identity Services Provider who is currently Equifax.  This soft inquiry is done real time during the MySSA Online registration process.  Take a look at the three quotes/weblinks below from SSA and Equifax regarding identity verification & credit report.

What will we do with your information?

We use the information you give us to verify your identity against our records. We also use an external Identity Services Provider to verify your information against their records. We do not share your Social Security number with them, and they keep your information only for the period of time permitted by federal laws, regulations, or guidelines.

When you make a verification request to establish your account, our Identity Services Provider may use information from your credit report to help verify your identity. As a result, you may see a “soft” inquiry entry on your credit report with the Identity Services Provider, indicating that the Social Security Administration made an inquiry at your request and the date of that request. Soft inquiries do not affect your credit score, and you do not incur any charges related to them. Soft inquiries are displayed in the version of the credit report provided to a consumer and are not reported to lenders. Soft inquiries will not appear on your credit report from other providers. Soft inquiries are generally removed from your credit report after 12 months. Once you have registered for an online account, you will not generate additional soft inquiries by logging in to access our services.

https://www.ssa.gov/hlp/mySSA/df-idverification.html

Identity Services Provider

The U.S. Social Security Administration uses an external data source, or what we refer to as an “Identity Services Provider,” to help us verify the identity of our online customers and to prevent fraudulent access to our customers’ sensitive personal information. Equifax is the Identity Services Provider that provides identity verification services to the Social Security Administration. For more information, please visit www.Equifax.com, (Disclaimer).

https://help.equifax.com/s/article/Who-can-view-my-credit-report-if-I-have-a-security-freeze-or-credit-report-lock

Who can view my credit report if I have a security freeze or credit report lock?

Locking or freezing your Equifax credit report will prevent access to it by certain third parties. Locking or freezing your Equifax credit report will not prevent access to your credit report at any other credit bureau. Entities that may still have access to your Equifax credit report include: 
•    Companies like Equifax Global Consumer Solutions, which provide you with access to your credit report or credit score, or monitor your credit report as part of a subscription or similar service;
•    Companies that provide you with a copy of your credit report or credit score, upon your request;
•    Federal, state, and local government agencies and courts in certain circumstances;
•    Companies using the information in connection with the underwriting of insurance, or for employment, tenant or background screening purposes; 
•    Companies that have a current account or relationship with you, and collection agencies acting on behalf of those whom you owe;  
•    Companies that authenticate a consumer’s identity for purposes other than granting credit, or for investigating or preventing actual or potential fraud; and 
•    Companies that wish to make pre-approved offers of credit or insurance to you. To opt out of such pre-approved offers, visit www.optoutprescreen.com.

Equifax maintains consumers’ credit reports and provides information to certain customers, including credit card companies and lenders, so that they may offer pre-approved offers to consumers as permitted by law. Consumers that prefer not to receive such offers should visit www.optoutprescreen.com, or call toll free at 1-888-5-OPT OUT (or 1-888-567-8688). Consumers may also send an opt-out request in writing to Equifax Information Services LLC, P.O. Box 740123, Atlanta, GA 30374-0123. Consumers should include their complete name, full address, Social Security number, and signature. Equifax will remove the consumer’s name from its pre-approved offer database and share the request with the other two nationwide consumer reporting agencies. 

Edited by Pib
8 hours ago, Pib said:

It shouldn't because with a credit report freeze certain companies/govt agencies can still have access to your credit report for certain purposes.  The SSA does a soft credit inquiry with their Identity Services Provider who is currently Equifax.  This soft inquiry is done real time during the MySSA Online registration process.  Take a look at the three quotes/weblinks below from SSA and Equifax regarding identity verification & credit report.

https://www.ssa.gov/hlp/mySSA/df-idverification.html

Makes sense..thank you!

On 5/9/2020 at 11:04 AM, Brightly said:

LOL, shots fired!

Your inquiry is useful and interesting to me. I appreciate the post.

Best of luck, cheers!

Edited by ding