Crackdown on street vendors?

Thailand

14 hours ago, RedPill said:

oh come on, that was and is the big charme, street life and freedom of the people in Thailand.

Should we all checkin to MK or Santa Fe now? ;-(

Does everybody want to remove and change everything now? 

Definitely not MK or Santa Fe, but Idin Klin Krog and similar options are massively superior to street food. It's not even close. And not much more expensive either.

That kind of food culture can be preserved in Singapore style hawker centres, Singapore has shown how it's done.  The hawker centre food in Singapore is actually much better than most of what's on offer on the street in Thailand.

On 5/9/2020 at 8:21 AM, Puchaiyank said:

This virus gives government officials carteblanc to do whatever they want to whomever they want...

A new world is emerging out of the pandemic...without firing a shot...governments are dispensing with personal freedoms at an unprecedented rate.

A few years from now people will have forgotten how they once roamed the world, their country without checkpoints and engaged in unrestricted commerce.

What are you rambling about? Take a chill pill. No one is after street vendors. 

11 hours ago, elnet1 said:

Its not just Thai people, IMO. It was part of the culture of Thailand that I as a westerner and many time visitor really enjoyed. And I miss the casual pop-up roadside eateries and food carts also.

Sure,, but it is Thais that make the rules and regulations. 

18 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Plenty of cheap restaurants to eat in and free ice with your coke or water.

Missing the point about the street life and freedom, the Thai ppl enjoyed for how long?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, nightbird said:

Sure,, but it is Thais that make the rules and regulations. 

I don't think any Thai person has anything against a street cart, but ... as you say, who makes the rules and regulations in a democratie?

On 5/10/2020 at 2:30 AM, Dante99 said:

One guy collects a daily fee for cleaning the communal toilet.

Another guy collects for contribution for electrical bill.

A third collects for water supply.

Yet another collects for taking away the trash.

The guy with the red hat collects for wash down and scrub floor after the market closes.

The guy with the bulge under his shirt collects for not putting a hole in you.

Finally the guy sitting in the ac Mercedes SUV having his man collect for him gets paid for keeping the peace between all the others.

So which guy was it that you saw?

I am not sure. It is a public street, and most vendors do not use electricity/water etc. 

It was a bit like a scene from a mafia movie.

On 5/9/2020 at 10:21 PM, Max69xl said:

What are you rambling about? Take a chill pill. No one is after street vendors. 

Ive had other street walking "vendors" off me a pill or two in Vientiane as Im eating my street food.

On 5/9/2020 at 3:31 PM, daveAustin said:

lol. Oh gawd, here we go again. It's the new world order! The Illuminati are having their way! Look, the earth is flat too, see! They should have been shutdown already to be fair, but if anything, it would be a mere Phrayut continuing his sterilisation of the country... which would've come with or without the virus. 

Is not the Illuminati, its the deep dish state. Mmmmm, deep dish......please help yourself to the salad bar..

• Haha 1