Foreigners arrested for swimming at beach in Pattaya

29 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Right, in my country is even worse than that, but none of these bans make sense to me.

Sorry, but those pictures of middle-aged folks, probably hard workers, who have been saving for months for a holiday in Thailand, being forced on a pick up and taken to the police station like criminals, make me very sad.

There has been no tourism in Thailand since the end of March and if they came then, knowing what lay ahead well shame on them. The borders are closed and they should have gone home if indeed they are tourists

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

No, i am not in favour of breaking the laws, personally i would not risk a heavy fine.

But closing a beach, and ban people from swimming makes no sense to me.

Oh, and pestering the last 10 tourists left in Thailand make even less sense.

Why do you imagine that they are tourists?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Right, in my country is even worse than that, but none of these bans make sense to me.

Sorry, but those pictures of middle-aged folks, probably hard workers, who have been saving for months for a holiday in Thailand, being forced on a pick up and taken to the police station like criminals, make me very sad.

They had a choice. They have a pool at their apartment. They could have used it.

It sounds as if they were given the option of simply getting out of the water, but choose to not do so.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Ok, you seem to know more than me, in that case, they behaved rather foolishly.

Yet, in a fair world, they should have been told to get out of the beach, and sent on their way.

Swimming in the sea should not be a criminal offense imho.

Did you read the article? According to what is written, they were given the opportunity to get out, but ignored it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Yet, in a fair world, they should have been told to get out of the beach, and sent on their way.

Swimming in the sea should not be a criminal offense imho.

In a fair world there would not even be such a useless nonsense beach ban, and no problem to go swimming in the sea.

Edited by yuyiinthesky
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Eindhoven said:

Did you read the article? According to what is written, they were given the opportunity to get out, but ignored it.

Yes, i read the article, but with all these fake news, we have the right to doubt everything.

If the article says the truth, well they were silly to defy the law twice.

Meanwhile, i'm just wondering what would happen if the same law would be enforced on the thousands of poor Thais who break the rules on daily basis, out of necessity or just for fun.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, yuyiinthesky said:

In a fair world there would not even be such a useless nonsense beach ban, and no problem to go swimming in the sea.

What if everyone decided to do the same? Everyone likes to think they are special...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Yes, i read the article, but with all these fake news, we have the right to doubt everything.

If the article says the truth, well they were silly to defy the law twice.

Meanwhile, i'm just wondering what would happen if the same law would be enforced on the thousands of poor Thais who break the rules on daily basis, out of necessity or just for fun.

I haven't seen any Thais or citizens from the surrounding countries swimming. Collecting shellfish from the beach, yes.

I do see a high number of foreigners deliberately flouting the mask wearing rule. Selfish imbeciles. Often wearing it on their chins with their noses exposed. Utter morons.

Just low lives, really...with an inherent sense of entitlement. They should really be given the bum's rush.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

I haven't seen any Thais or citizens from the surrounding countries swimming. Collecting shellfish from the beach, yes.

I do see a high number of foreigners deliberately flouting the mask wearing rule. Selfish imbeciles. Often wearing it on their chins with their noses exposed. Utter morons.

Just low lives, really...with an inherent sense of entitlement. They should really be given the bum's rush.

I think i have never seen a Thai swimming, in the some 20 years i've spent on Koh Chang.

What i see in this story, is another selective enforcement of the law.

I can agree though, there are many arrogant foreigners, who behave badly and make me ashamed, at times, to be a foreigner, so, in a way, i can understand your point.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, OnTheGround said:

When we travel to a country, we are expected and required to follow the law of that country. Doesn't matter how much we disagree to that law or current ban. If we can't or don't want do respect the law and any current ban, we shouldn't had travelled to that country. Sounds reasonable, yes?

Reverse the scenario: tourists from another country visit your country. Your country has beach & swimming ban. You observe these tourists ignore the ban - what do you think about these tourist who ignore the law in your own country? Be honest.

Posters about beach & swimming ban are almost every where now, in 5,6,7 languages. The beach are clearly taped of. Media and FB are full of articles about this ban. The Frenchman case has got so much attention this week. 

How can anyone at this point, defend their action?

We can agree or disagree with the current beach ban, just remember that other countries also has beach ban. Not only Thailand. 

These people dont seem to be tourists and should know better, but a couple of your points...

in australia beaches were closed but people generally were only warned, if they returned they were then fined.

when i am on holiday i do not watch tv and rarely social media. If it werent for this forum i would not know there was a ban. Though i am lucky the warning on the beach are in english so i can understand it. News of bans in thailand isnt high on the agenda in other countries.

i certainly was not aware it was illegal to go commando in thailand until i read it here, some laws you would just never consider thinking about researching.

But as another poster said the guy owns boat there then yes fine them.

Edited by Sujo
  • Like 1

Not allowing swimming in the sea is ridiculous and just plain stupid.  What could be a safer form of exercise?  What this law is about is either a power play by the authorities or a possible cash cow for the BIB or both.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tlandtday said:

Not allowing swimming in the sea is ridiculous and just plain stupid.  What could be a safer form of exercise?  What this law is about is either a power play by the authorities or a possible cash cow for the BIB or both.

The regulation makes sense and is mirrored by most other nations where there is lock-down and people are asked not to leave their homes for all but essential purposes.

Visiting a beach seems harmless, but when everyone visits there is then an issue.

That said, there is also a bigger picture - When have the beaches in Thailand ever been so crowded that social distancing cannot be practiced?

Just like the alcohol bans it seems there are some knee-jerk reactions, not just in Thailand but globally.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

How many Thais were cavorting on the beach while these people were there?  

Sorry to quote just a little part of your long post.

Why on earth the Thais should be cavorting on the beach, don't let your fingers run faster than your thoughts !

Just kidding.

Of course i respect your point of view, it's obvious that you are ok being locked at home, how dare some people go to swim in the sea, how dare some people enjoy their life.

I just wonder who'll pay your pension when nobody will give a s**t anymore.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

100,000 Baht and 1 year in prison is a lot over the top,

especially with the exchange rates the way they are,

Thais would never be made to pay fines like that ,or

go to jail, is it a deterrent or a way to extract money

from farangs,just imagine if you were caught on the beach

and smoking !

regards worgeordie 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

100,000 Baht and 1 year in prison is a lot over the top,