Worm eating our sweet corn!

Just now, Tagged said:

? Any suggestions we can do? 

I would go talk with your local Ag Extension officer. I don't have an answer but I did some research last year and there is a range of pesticides available to suit the type of crop and withholding periods before harvest. Have a search on the Australian Govt Ag websites. There have been posts on using woodash and soapy water but I wasn't impressed with the results and the heaps of effort involved. Hopefully later information is more positive.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IsaanAussie said:

I would go talk with your local Ag Extension officer. I don't have an answer but I did some research last year and there is a range of pesticides available to suit the type of crop and withholding periods before harvest. Have a search on the Australian Govt Ag websites. There have been posts on using woodash and soapy water but I wasn't impressed with the results and the heaps of effort involved. Hopefully later information is more positive.

No garlic, lime, lemon, or vinegear mixes I guess beats this pest ? Well, instead of use anything expensive and time consuming we will just plant something thats not affected by this worm. Any suggestions? 

Just now, Tagged said:

No garlic, lime, lemon, or vinegear mixes I guess beats this pest ? Well, instead of use anything expensive and time consuming we will just plant something thats not affected by this worm. Any suggestions? 

I have seen lists of crops effected that include cereals, grains, vegetables and fruit, and yes even rice. Try your Ag Extension guys they might have some ideas. The problem with most organic "pesticides" is they are more effective in preventing or deterring insects from laying eggs on the plants than they are at killing the worms or the moths. Again the Ag people might know. 

11 hours ago, Tagged said:

You could try Sesame seed ,have a look at TV's Maize thread ,famerjo has a good crop .

Or Mung bean,being a legume may want an insecticide spraying.

Both these crops do not need a lot of water, if the present climate continues, with less rain could well be a lot more grown .  

What did farmers do before pesticdes?

They had a bad year...plenty of  them.

Now you know why hillbillies are so enamoured by those pesticides

They ensure there will be a crop and helth concerns be damned.

5 hours ago, Vigilante said:

What did farmers do before pesticdes?

They had a bad year...plenty of  them.

Now you know why hillbillies are so enamoured by those pesticides

They ensure there will be a crop and helth concerns be damned.

Before pesticides  the crop yields where a lot lower ,and the population of the world a lot less ,now the world population has increased  ,and world agriculture land has decreased ,pesticides are now here to stay, 

The Fall Army worm  is relatively a new pest, and is here to stay ,and pesticides are about the only way to get rid of it.

An  Integrated Pest Management Control  System will work , and not difficult  to set up .

It is all to do with education ,teaching farmers how to safely use all forms of chemicals it can be done. 

If you are now living in the Horn of Africa ,you will be saying where are the pesticides for certain ,they are having the worst out brake of Locus attack for ,some say, 20-30 years devastating crops ,pesticides are the only way to stop them. 

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like we came trough it without to much damages. 

Picked worms and eggs for a few nights, and it looks like all survived to me. ? Anyway, glad we did not have 10 rai land with corn. 

F4F62DC9-0053-4C04-9A7B-51B2BA12F05D.jpeg

BCD50B6E-CF94-4DE6-8A96-D06C63274D2D.jpeg

4EECB033-900D-4925-9AC3-A4252D71E92A.jpeg

4D2409FA-1367-43D8-8D20-0FA67F2102C3.jpeg

2B72F98D-62FC-4A49-B720-A62CAFEB4152.jpeg

815EA08F-57C0-47F0-B766-6A44266A05B9.jpeg

52A80E4C-7739-41EF-A092-4780F56516E4.jpeg

64736F8B-EC3D-4A80-BCAA-E628BD1DE715.jpeg

87C051EE-EEE2-43F7-A408-19D480FEED87.jpeg