How to replace covering over back of the house?

topt

There is a two and a half meter gap between the house and the rear wall with blue acrylic panels on a stainless steel frame covering part of it as per the pictures.

20200512_160251.thumb.jpg.932851265357af00402d26025decd3d7.jpg20200512_160900.thumb.jpg.061532c7e29367e7c5f35d39bff1ff56.jpg

I had noticed a week ago or so a small tear in the panel in the first pic and then apparently there was a very strong wind yesterday when I was out which tore a bigger gap. The panels looked like they were getting to need replacing anyhow and have been up for more than 12 years.

There are 8 panels in total (or 16 if that is a join in the middle) with a 1 meter gap between the ss supports running out from the house to above the wall. I guess the easiest and cheapest solution is to find someone who can replace with similar and keep the current ss support structure. I have no idea how the joins work on top of the panels but presume that is possible?

Is there any option that anybody is aware of to keep the framework but replace the panels with something that is not translucent and protects more from the heat/sunlight? I am thinking not as the frame has a curve on it.

Otherwise I guess I may be looking at a new metal framework and roofing? 

Any suggestions before I go wandering around the sheds to have a look at prices are very welcome.

The acrylic is available in many colours and densities, check the size and take sample down to your local DIY / building supplier.

It just slides/springs into place, how it's fixed should be obvious once you get a panel out.

• Like 2

Alternatively, there are zillions of places doing this type of shade roof, evidenced by there being samples outside.

Drop in on your local chap and ask him to quote for replacing the panels, got to be cheaper than a complete job.

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Alternatively, there are zillions of places doing this type of shade roof, evidenced by there being samples outside.

Drop in on your local chap and ask him to quote for replacing the panels, got to be cheaper than a complete job.

Any of the steel sheet roofing supply places will do the job. Make sure you get a good quality foam and silver insulation and they may not even need to to do a custom bend though some certainly can

1190CE2F-AB27-46BB-8B00-E6F57EE0C216.jpeg.3a3f0a75ba6a66f7e48b0ed4afae339e.jpeg

Edited by sometimewoodworker

2 hours ago, topt said:

Otherwise I guess I may be looking at a new metal framework and roofing?

No just replace it with curved natural colour aluminium profile roof sheets.

Better than steel profile sheets attached to stainless steel.

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

The acrylic is available in many colours and densities, check the size and take sample down to your local DIY / building supplier.

It just slides/springs into place, how it's fixed should be obvious once you get a panel out.

Yes I haven't tried that yet as it is very brittle. I have snapped off the loose flappy bit in the picture. It partly disintegrated making a nice mess :smile:

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Any of the steel sheet roofing supply places will do the job. Make sure you get a good quality foam and silver insulation and they may not even need to to do a custom bend though some certainly can

50 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

No just replace it with curved natural colour aluminium profile roof sheets.

Better than steel profile sheets attached to stainless steel.

Sorry but are you guys talking about the same thing or different materials/products?

But both of you are saying I could probably keep the current frame?

2 hours ago, topt said:

Yes, different material on the top, I haven’t seen aluminium only steel, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t available.

you may have to add a little to the frame as the width of sheet may be different.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, topt said:

Sorry but are you guys talking about the same thing or different materials/products?

Maybe, do you want the same material as before or not that will be the least expensive solution. ?

If you want to replace with steel there can be problems in the future but will be many years in service.

If you replace it with aluminium it will last.

A stainless steel roof will be even better because of your existing stainless steel structure.

You say 2.5 M so a 1250 M purlin space will be OK.

A competent roofer will know what to do fixing wise.

Edited by Kwasaki

11 hours ago, northsouthdevide said:

If you get up there yourself, be careful around those railings.... 

They look deadly ????

They are - very easy to nick yourself, have done too many times :crying:

10 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Maybe, do you want the same material as before or not that will be the least expensive solution. ?

Yes I realise it is cheapest but would like to make the space more user friendly - IE protect more from the sun.

10 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

A stainless steel roof will be even better

Isn't this going to be very expensive for that sort of area - just over 8m by 2.5m and a bit?

33 minutes ago, topt said:

Yes I realise it is cheapest but would like to make the space more user friendly - IE protect more from the sun.

Isn't this going to be very expensive for that sort of area - just over 8m by 2.5m and a bit?

That's not a big area IMHO, ask and enquire for prices of different materials, I not know of present costs of roof curved material.

If you decide to get curved corrugated steel roofing which I guess will be less expensive I can tell you tell the best way to fix it so you builder/roofer knows what to do. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2020 at 10:35 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

you may have to add a little to the frame as the width of sheet may be different.

Sorry but with your experience can you comment please. I am having a few issues with this. A supplier I went to have a look at seemed to have sheets that were in 750 or 760 widths. Before  go back with a Thai speaker do you know should I be able to get them made in 1m widths?

Another issue seems to be that a fitter has suggested he may have to lower the frame fractionally as it currently sits under a 4 inch or so concrete decorative relief that runs across the back. The acrylic sheets obviously slid in ok but the suggestion is the steel sheets may not.

On 5/12/2020 at 11:33 PM, Kwasaki said:

If you replace it with aluminium it will last.

Not been able to find any aluminium.

The supplier gave me a price of just over 4,000 baht for I think 0.35 thick with 5mm PE.

They were talking of 11 sheets - hence the 750 or so width.

Does that cost sound about right - cheaper than I expected but that is without the proper curve.

1 hour ago, topt said:

A supplier I went to have a look at seemed to have sheets that were in 750 or 760 widths. Before  go back with a Thai speaker do you know should I be able to get them made in 1m widths?

Another issue seems to be that a fitter has suggested he may have to lower the frame fractionally as it currently sits under a 4 inch or so concrete decorative relief that runs across the back. The acrylic sheets obviously slid in ok but the suggestion is the steel sheets may not.

Not been able to find any aluminium.

The supplier gave me a price of just over 4,000 baht for I think 0.35 thick with 5mm PE.

They were talking of 11 sheets - hence the 750 or so width.

Does that cost sound about right - cheaper than I expected but that is without the proper curve.

This is difficult to know all the problems without a site visit.

1. Was the supplier a company that makes roof sheets or just a stockist.

2. If a fitter has looked on site he should know what profile height is needed to install which type of roof sheet.

3. As I said if aluminium is not available to you, steel will be OK as long as it's isolated from the stainless steel structure by PVC tape or if your lining with PE that should be Ok.

Also it would be better to use a stainless steel self tapping type fixing with a rubber washer correctly seated in the top of the profile roll.

4. Personally the price for a small quantity of material like your replacement curved roofing would not be important getting the supplier to supply the correct curve, a suitable profile roof sheet and making sure it's installed correctly for a nice looking aesthetic finish is your goal I would say.

Goodluck with your enquiries if I can help further I'll be back on TV for a look at about 8 pm.

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

This is difficult to know all the problems without a site visit.

1. Was the supplier a company that makes roof sheets or just a stockist.

2. If a fitter has looked on site he should know what profile height is needed to install which type of roof sheet.

3. As I said if aluminium is not available to you, steel will be OK as long as it's isolated from the stainless steel structure by PVC tape or if your lining with PE that should be Ok.

Also it would be better to use a stainless steel self tapping type fixing with a rubber washer correctly seated in the top of the profile roll.

4. Personally the price for a small quantity of material like your replacement curved roofing would not be important getting the supplier to supply the correct curve, a suitable profile roof sheet and making sure it's installed correctly for a nice looking aesthetic finish is your goal I would say.

Goodluck with your enquiries if I can help further I'll be back on TV for a look at about 8 pm.

Your welcome to come and have a look.......:thumbsup:

1 - makes

2 - Fitter has just been binned and now looking for another

3 - Can you please explain this as I would like to understand why thanks

4 - All agreed - as usual the devil is in the details

3 hours ago, topt said:

Sorry but with your experience can you comment please. I am having a few issues with this. A supplier I went to have a look at seemed to have sheets that were in 750 or 760 widths. Before  go back with a Thai speaker do you know should I be able to get them made in 1m widths?

You can not get a wider sheet made. The material comes on a rather large roll of several hundred metres x 1220. The finished width is governed by the profile you choose, from about 600 to 760(actually 817 but you need overlap). You can only get a wider sheet by choosing a different profile. Colorbond is around 300 baht per square metre + insulation. 

0AD6E4C2-B9ED-4DE3-B742-8D703C391A06.jpeg

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The material comes on a rather large roll of several hundred metres x 1220. The finished width is governed by the profile you choose, from about 600 to 760(actually 817 but you need overlap). You can only get a wider sheet by choosing a different profile. Colorbond is around 300 baht per square metre + insulation. 

Thanks and apologies if this is a stupid question. You say by 1220 in width. Is it possible to have a very flat/almost no profile that would cover the 1m gap or is that just not possible. If so I presume I would have to have extra supports welded in to screw the panels on? 

Presume Colorbond is the same?

7 minutes ago, topt said:

Thanks and apologies if this is a stupid question. You say by 1220 in width. Is it possible to have a very flat/almost no profile that would cover the 1m gap or is that just not possible. If so I presume I would have to have extra supports welded in to screw the panels on? 

No. Nobody will supply the flat sheet and it would be virtually useless if they did as it’s impossible to waterproof.

the numbers are colorbond.

you may need extra support it rather depends in the profile.

• Thanks 1

Just now, sometimewoodworker said:

No. Nobody will supply the flat sheet and it would be virtually useless if they did as it’s impossible to waterproof.

the numbers are colorbond.

you may need extra support it rather depends in the profile.

Thanks.

57 minutes ago, topt said:

57 minutes ago, topt said:

The problem with Thailand is there 30+ years or more behind times, they will not allow companies who do 1m wide and 1200 wide profile sheets into Thailand.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

The problem with Thailand is there 30+ years or more behind times, they will not allow companies who do 1m wide and 1200 wide profile sheets into Thailand.

Which country has a usable width of formed roofing metal of over 800? 

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Not know what experience in work you have but the UK for more than 30 years supplied 1000 & 1200 sheets from reels produced by British Steel.

I worked for over 30 years in the building and roofing Industry I worked from the ground up.

Even asbestos cement profile sheets were produced at 1200 wide and 12 feet long, years ago they were bloody heavy carrying them up a 30 foot pole ladder, I know because I did it.

6 hours ago, topt said:

Your welcome to come and have a look.......:thumbsup:

1 - makes

2 - Fitter has just been binned and now looking for another

3 - Can you please explain this as I would like to understand why thanks

4 - All agreed - as usual the devil is in the details

Do you live in Sukhothai ???? I guess not because you could get your job sorted here one way or another.

What was the depth of the existing covering you have, there's steel profile sheets available at a 20mm profile roll height.

I ask because you mentioned what was a top of roof boundary wall detail, in which the existing height of roof cover fitted into to finish the detail.

Have you a pix and measurement of the details height gap.

!. Obviously they only have limited types of rolling machines.

2. Hard to find someone here trained properly but roofing is not rocket science, it just needs someone who cares about his workmanship.

3. What I suggest is the correct procedure for the roof structure to last 30 years or more, to explain simply it's over the top a bit but to cut short the reaction between ordinary steel and stainless steel there is a chemical reaction which in time causes corrosion. 

4. Yeah the structure you have there is good so therefore worth effort and dosh to make it look nice.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kwasaki said:
5 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Not know what experience in work you have but the UK for more than 30 years supplied 1000 & 1200 sheets from reels produced by British Steel.

I worked for over 30 years in the building and roofing Industry I worked from the ground up.

You may have misinterpreted my question as disputing the availability of profiles over 800. It was a request for information.

i can find 1000 width sheets but a quick look doesn’t show wider than that.

My experience is living with thatch, slate and concrete tile roofs until having my own place built here.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You may have misinterpreted my question as disputing the availability of profiles over 800. It was a request for information.

i can find 1000 width sheets but a quick look doesn’t show wider than that.

My experience is living with thatch, slate and concrete tile roofs until having my own place built here.

Well like I said there was 1200 in the UK in cement & steel, only steel now, dunno where you come from.

The Wards company supplied composite sheets that were 1200 wide with a corrugated profile forget how long they could be but anyway they were craned onto the roof.

You could get 1200 single skin sheets as well in sizes that could be man handled. 

Has the op looked at replacing the acrylic with polycarbonate sheets ?

Could possibly retain your existing supports as they are somewhat flexible  and it comes in a range of colours.

Sheets are 122 x 240 cm and I paid 650 baht a couple of years ago.

They give some uv protection but don’t cut down the light much.

Just giving a cheap option.

34 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Has the op looked at replacing the acrylic with polycarbonate sheets ?

Could possibly retain your existing supports as they are somewhat flexible  and it comes in a range of colours.

Sheets are 122 x 240 cm and I paid 650 baht a couple of years ago.

They give some uv protection but don’t cut down the light much.

Just giving a cheap option.

I am not sure if current covering is acrylic or polycarbonate to be honest and yes if the cost turns out to be too exorbitant will probably just replace with same/similar again. I want to try and add some insulation material and generally make it cooler under the covering but do not want to have to add it separately/retro fit. Light is not an issue. 

The current covering has lasted for more than 10 years with no water ingress but is now very brittle.

Thanks.

Edited by topt
spelling
  • Like 1