Divorce between US and Thai citizen

epicking

So my Girlfriend are married to this US guy and they havent seen each other for 3-4 years and when they talk, its all out war ????
They got married in Thailand, lived a few years in US and she went back as it just didnt work out.
He has a standard prenup about what she owns is all his and what he owns is non of her business ???? 
Anyway, they basically both wants a divorce, but he doesnt want to come to Thailand to sign it and she cant afford to go to US and through that system.
We talked to a lawyer who said that he has to come to Thailand and there is no way around it.
is that really true ? Seems like a divorce agreement and trip to the Notary in the US should do it to confirm its real.
Anybody has any experience with this ?

As far as I know two persons can get divorced by each visiting a different amphur (district office) and a Thai embassy or general consulate (not honorary consulate) functions as one for Thais abroad. So I think that she could sign the papers at an amphur in Thailand and he could sign the papers at a Thai embassy/general consulate following which the Thai embassy sends it to the Thai amphur for processing.

They could contatc the Thai Minstry of Foreign Affaris, consular department for more information and to see if I am correct. www.consular.go.th 

9 hours ago, northsouthdevide said:

I was under the impression that a prenup wasn't worth the paper it's written on in Thailand 

Your impression is wrong, it's just a contract signed by both prior to the marriage and is recognized by Thai law and don't ask me to cite it.  Just like murder, I can't site the law,  but am pretty sure there is a law prohibiting it 

• Like 1