Renewal of Vehicle Licence

CRUNCHER

4 minutes ago, CRUNCHER said:

I know the LTO has stopped renewing driving licences, but what is the position in respect of vehicle licences.

DLT is indeed closed for all driving license procedures.

But tax payment, vehicle registration is still in operation.

Accessing the office requires the usual: carry ID/contact info (being registered as visitor), wear mask, get queue number outside and wait to be called in, clean hands (experience from our office, quite sure similar at Banglamung office).

What exactly is your request to the office?

Of you only need the tax sticker and maybe compulsory insurance on top, just go to the next 7-eleven and get it there. Wife did it 2 weeks ago, tax sticker was in post 1 week later.

I went to a Vehicle Inspection spot yesterday morning. Business as per normal for doing inspections and the Road Tax/Insurance.

And because I wrote the wrong date down on my calendar after doing it last year, I get to go back in 3 months and do it when it's actually due ! (They won't renew the decal if it's less than 9 months old.)

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

(They won't renew the decal if it's less than 9 months old.)

So you sampled useful info :smile:

In line with what I read somewhere (3 months before expiry at earliest).

Did it online and the tax disc sent via post for my cars and bikes that don't need inspections, extra cost for EMS postage and bank charge to use credit card/ transfer, still cheaper than using agents 

Normally I would take it to Saturday service in Big C or Paradise Park mall, but since COVID, they're all closed, so still need to take a day off to get to the DLT for the older cars that need inspection

The inspection center offered to do it for 100 baht, but needs to come back and pick up the renewed book/tax disc

Looks like post office service is also available, but would take a few days as they send the paperwork back and forth

• Thanks 1

Quick question...........have a friend who because of Covid is in the UK until next year.......his 2 year old Aerox is due its tax renewal...............i have his house keys, if i take his bike book and old tax disc but go on my bike to tax his bike will they want to see his bike in the flesh?

Just seem to remember they used to take a "rubbing" of the bike number from the bike a while ago..........whenever i tax my own bike i never pay attention as to if they still do this?

I/m guessing if you can do the renewal at a 7-11 the bike is not neccessary to renew tax

Edited by thaiflyer1

18 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Whenever i retax my bike i just need the green book and insurance certificate (has your friend got this?). I think they only take a "rubbing" when you are selling the bike.

Yes has the book...............will give it a go this coming week

Should be easy. They only do the serial number "rubbing" on my Harley, never on the scooter. I used to do the paperwork for the scooter at the table upstairs in Big C (South Pattaya) and they never looked at the bike itself. 
Actually, I did the Harley there once as well and all I needed extra was the Inspection form as the bike was over 5 years old. They didn't do a "rubbing" (but in the green book is a piece of tape from it being done before).

After that though I just started doing everything at an Inspection place and they always did a "rub" (of the serial number - perverts). But again, only on the big bike, not the scooter.

As long as the scooter is less than 5 years old, should be able to do it with just the Green book, however, it will be in his name so that may be an issue if they want to see your ID.

Give it a try. I don't think it's a big deal if you don't renew the decal on time as long as the bike isn't being driven. Your friend would have to do it as soon as he got back though.

21 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

So you sampled useful info :smile:

In line with what I read somewhere (3 months before expiry at earliest).

It's a bit crazy actually. A couple years ago I had a fire that burnt the back of my bike, including the tax decal and license plate.

I tried to get a replacement decal. Can't do it. Was told to go to the DLT (in Pattaya). They told me I'd have to go to a DLT office in Bangkok because that is where the bike was first registered (after it was imported).

So I tried to just renew my "current" decal. Sorry, have to wait until there's less than 3 months left.

I had to go to the police station to file a report about the fire and burnt decal/license plate. I was then able to go to a shop (the police told me about) to get a replacement license plate.
I was told to just carry the police report with me on the Harley in case I was stopped before I could get the new decal. 3 months before the "due date" for my next renewal I went in to an Inspection facility and they did everything up no question asked and I left with my new decal and tax receipt.