Who are the big internet wifi infrastructure companies

kingstonkid

I know that True, AIS et al are the main WiFi companies but who is responsible for the infrastructure that they use.  

I think CAT is one but am wondering I understand that a lot has to change for 5g to work.

I think you've got this backwards.

WWAN WiFi is a short-range radio service, co-connected to a provisioning server for authentication and billing. The 'backhaul' infrastructure providing the "Internet" service can be anyone and anything: Microwave, FiberOptic, High Density Cable... etc.  So a company like 3BB, which is a huge WiFi-for-rent player, would usually provide all the infrastructure to a location node, but might also lease tower space or even a backhaul connection if they wanted a node up but didn't have all their own infrastructure in place to accomplish it.

And you're right, the main tower owners are AIS, DTAC, TRUE, TOT and CAT.

Not sure why you're focused on WiFi as a path to 5G, as 5G will be either it's own thing or an extension from existing 4G/LTE Services.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2020 at 7:38 AM, seancbk said:

The reason I ask is because there is a great discussion going on about 5G and the fact that none of the present equipment that is out there is going to be able to handle it.  Reports are that 5G is not able at this time to work in buildings nor is it able to work on the street with regularity as the tower system is not good enough seems there is going tohave to be a big infra structure change to get it to work

On 5/15/2020 at 11:15 AM, kingstonkid said:

Reports are that 5G is not able at this time to work in buildings nor is it able to work on the street with regularity

5G is being touted as the service for both Home Wireless Broadband and the constant connection hub for the IoT (Internet of Things). But as the lower frequency spectrum is already parceled out, service providers are having to deploy it at higher frequencies (where signals don't travel long or through solid objects well at all).

https://www.cablefree.net/wirelesstechnology/4glte/5g-frequency-bands-lte/

Given the number of potential devices predicted to need to connect to this futuristic service they're having to rethink and redesign 5G transceiver nodes, designing MiMo antenna arrays and transceiver node cellular pattern placement that allows more near path connections, higher node density and reduced 5G participant cross interference. 

So, it can start as a co-deployment along side existing 4G/LTE but will eventually also go solo go give better coverage / penetration into planned user areas. 

On 5/17/2020 at 1:05 AM, RichCor said:

5G is being touted as the service for both Home Wireless Broadband and the constant connection hub for the IoT (Internet of Things). But as the lower frequency spectrum is already parceled out, service providers are having to deploy it at higher frequencies (where signals don't travel long or through solid objects well at all).

https://www.cablefree.net/wirelesstechnology/4glte/5g-frequency-bands-lte/

Given the number of potential devices predicted to need to connect to this futuristic service they're having to rethink and redesign 5G transceiver nodes, designing MiMo antenna arrays and transceiver node cellular pattern placement that allows more near path connections, higher node density and reduced 5G participant cross interference. 

So, it can start as a co-deployment along side existing 4G/LTE but will eventually also go solo go give better coverage / penetration into planned user areas. 

Yes that is why I am wondering what companies will be providing this.  In the US and Canada it is not the internet companies but others.  The new nodes are going to have to be installed amost on block of every street.  Someone is going to make a great deal of money from this and it will not be TRUE or AIS.  There is going to be one company that provides a set of nodes that everyone will bounce off of

3 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Yes that is why I am wondering what companies will be providing this.  In the US and Canada it is not the internet companies but others.

Google Search:  Thailand 5g strategy  and  SlideShare 5G players

There are many aspects to providing an end-to-end 'solution' to a telecom operator, usually requiring many vendors working side-by-side. Finding this information is where "SlideShare" presentations, prepared for industry planners and investors, can come in handy. (Granted, a 2017 presentation might be too far out of date for some.):

image.png.1cf13cef42ec013f1b8d1fdaa310e2e3.png