A misunderstanding at the Thai border

geovalin

Thai authorities yesterday prevented Cambodia from putting up an additional tent and set up a machine for scanning COVID-19 to check the health of migrant workers crossing the border at O’Smach international checkpoint. Oddar Meanchey provincial governor Pen Kosal said yesterday Thai authorities came over after seeing a working group set up a tent with equipment close to the borders between the two countries.

“We set up a tent and a machine to scan temperatures of workers about two metres from the border,” he said. “After we explained we will remove it with the improvement of the COVID-19 situation, they agreed and left,” Mr. Kosal said. Thailand still has its borders shut to travellers, but it allows goods to be transported into the country.

nokorwatnews-1.jpg

Klork Hout, chief of the provincial health department, said yesterday an argument ensued when the Thai authorities demanded the tent be demolished. Mr Hout said a new tent measuring three by five metres was set up on Wednesday to scan the temperatures of migrant workers crossing the border.

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50723267/a-misunderstanding-at-the-thai-border/

• Haha 1

A post with a derogatory slur comment has been removed:

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, natway09 said:

Hang on,,,, there is not supposed to be anyone crossing the border ???????

there is not but it is posisble they (Cambodia) are letting theior own nationals enter, I am nto sure they can legally refuse. And many migrant workers are having to repatriate as they no longer have work in Thailand.

I know one who went back about 2 weeks ago. He w3as unable to cross at Poipet but eventually got in at Ban Laem/Prum.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sheryl said:

there is not but it is posisble they (Cambodia) are letting theior own nationals enter, I am nto sure they can legally refuse. And many migrant workers are having to repatriate as they no longer have work in Thailand.

I know one who went back about 2 weeks ago. He w3as unable to cross at Poipet but eventually got in at Ban Laem/Prum.

I live by this crossing and as of this post they they are only allowing some commercial trucks to cross over such as 10 wheelers with 300 pigs each in them. There are no migrant workers being allowed in or any one else crossing over from the Chong Chom side. On the the Thai side at the Chong Chom Market area Thailand has very large customs yard where all commercial trucks are processed. I counted 20 trucks most were 22 wheelers waiting to cross over. This custom yar is next door to the Chong Chom market which is huge and was mostly ran Thia money and Khmer labor. That market is now being demolished for the expansion of the 214 highway upgrade and a new market to be built at that location. The area is a ghosts town with no work for the foreseeable future.

Edited by khwaibah
  • Like 1