Android TV Smart Box

Thailaw

This review of the Magicsee N5 max x3  suggests an external hard disk of up to 3TB can be used for media storage.

One other important thing to consider about this particular box... Amlogic S905X3 applies quad-core Cortex-A55 processors, which is described as an "advanced application processor designed for hybrid OTT/ IP Set-Top Box (STB) and high-end media box applications". 

It will run hot so perhaps fit some 6mm rubber feet under it to give a bit more air circulation and/or direct a fan at it.

• Thanks 1

On 5/15/2020 at 3:58 PM, ajnamoon said:

Ive had my TX6  android box  for over an year great box   downloaded lots of programs plus full kodi  add on

Works really well has 2.5 and 5   and very low price in Lazada now  Great Buy

I have a TX3 Mini that works well for movies etc but am having trouble watchin live Australian sport through LivenetTV app, especially Racing.com and Sky Racing. Often they are okay but other times they keep stopping and when reset there is an advertisement or a demo game.

Does your box have these adds and games.

On 5/15/2020 at 7:36 PM, Thailand said:

TX6

On 5/22/2020 at 1:13 PM, Jai Dee said:

This review of the Magicsee N5 max x3  suggests an external hard disk of up to 3TB can be used for media storage.

One other important thing to consider about this particular box... Amlogic S905X3 applies quad-core Cortex-A55 processors, which is described as an "advanced application processor designed for hybrid OTT/ IP Set-Top Box (STB) and high-end media box applications". 

It will run hot so perhaps fit some 6mm rubber feet under it to give a bit more air circulation and/or direct a fan at it.

It will not just run hot, it will overheat and crash. Rubber feet will do little, because hot air rises and can not escape because it is a plastic box.

Take note also, every box with S905X3 and S905X2 processor from whatever brand has issues, most of them network issues, but so far there hasn't been one that doesn't have firmware issues.

Better stay with S912 octa core processor, as that one has been proven, though S912 does not support higher than Android 7.1.2, which again is a firmware that has most of the bugs ironed out.

Android 9.0 will give you little advantage, and is still full of bugs.

If you want a reliable device, the golden rule is , never go for the latest technology and/or firmware

17 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

I have a TX3 Mini that works well for movies etc but am having trouble watchin live Australian sport through LivenetTV app, especially Racing.com and Sky Racing. Often they are okay but other times they keep stopping and when reset there is an advertisement or a demo game.

Does your box have these adds and games.

Why do you think that the issues with sky racing has anything to do with your box?

Livenet is a free app, and same as with everything in the world, you get what you paid for it.

Now I'm sure in a minute there will be someone posting that the same thing works fine on their box.

Just ask yourself the question, why would people pay money for IPTV, if they could get the exact same for free?

15 minutes ago, Susco said:

Why do you think that the issues with sky racing has anything to do with your box?

Livenet is a free app, and same as with everything in the world, you get what you paid for it.

Now I'm sure in a minute there will be someone posting that the same thing works fine on their box.

Just ask yourself the question, why would people pay money for IPTV, if they could get the exact same for free?

So would the games be embedded in the LivenetTV app and not the box. If it is the box I can replace it.

The racing programs are not available on subscription and while I can access them through my browser, OPERA, the quality is not as good and still have some buffering problems.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

So would the games be embedded in the LivenetTV app and not the box. If it is the box I can replace it.

The racing programs are not available on subscription and while I can access them through my browser, OPERA, the quality is not as good and still have some buffering problems.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

First of all, the steams are provided by Livenet app, which runs from servers to which everyone in the world who has the app installed connects.

Every server has a limit in upload bandwidth, so once that limit is reached by the number of people who are downloading from that server, it starts cutting out. Load balancing is not possible on free accessible servers.

Secondly, your TX3 runs a S905W processor, which is the cheapest and slowest processor Amlogic ever made.

I guess someone told you that all Android boxes are equal, so just buy the cheapest available. Nothing could be further from the truth of course

Maybe you box has also only 1Gb RAM, as they make it in 1 and 2Gb version, so that would be another disadvantage as you will lack processing power.

With IPTV you get 10.000 channels which include the Aussie sky racing 1 - 2 as well as the UK version, most in HD or FHD, and it works without buffering, if you have a sufficient internet speed and connect by LAN cable instead of WIFI.

I could give you more specific details, but that would most likely be against forum rules

20 minutes ago, Susco said:

First of all, the steams are provided by Livenet app, which runs from servers to which everyone in the world who has the app installed connects.

Every server has a limit in upload bandwidth, so once that limit is reached by the number of people who are downloading from that server, it starts cutting out. Load balancing is not possible on free accessible servers.

Secondly, your TX3 runs a S905W processor, which is the cheapest and slowest processor Amlogic ever made.

I guess someone told you that all Android boxes are equal, so just buy the cheapest available. Nothing could be further from the truth of course

Maybe you box has also only 1Gb RAM, as they make it in 1 and 2Gb version, so that would be another disadvantage as you will lack processing power.

With IPTV you get 10.000 channels which include the Aussie sky racing 1 - 2 as well as the UK version, most in HD or FHD, and it works without buffering, if you have a sufficient internet speed and connect by LAN cable instead of WIFI.

I could give you more specific details, but that would most likely be against forum rules

Thanks. I only watch Skyracing as a last resort as it is a crappy coverage designed for the mug punter for TAB's benefit. I prefer the Racing.com site but it only covers VIC & SA racing which mostly is enough for me.

I knew nothing about android boxes so this was purchased through a friend of a friend that I now know I paid too much.

It is connected with a LAN cable (5e) from a 3BB router but the box only works on 2.5Ghz, not 5Ghz so it looks like it is time to upgrade to a better box.

I rarely use the box for anything except sport or an occasional documentary so IPTV would be an overkill.

Edited by GreasyFingers
added

1 hour ago, GreasyFingers said:

It is connected with a LAN cable (5e) from a 3BB router but the box only works on 2.5Ghz, not 5Ghz so it looks like it is time to upgrade to a better box.

I rarely use the box for anything except sport or an occasional documentary so IPTV would be an overkill.

2.4 and 5Ghz are WI-FI frequencies. If you connect by LAN cable, WI-FI isn't used obviously, so you could even do with a box without WI-FI.

IPTV has virtually every sport channel in the world, that is one of the main reasons why people subscribe to IPTV, as they will be able to watch every sport event they can think about.

Of course there are other options, but a better box will not improve streams from a free app. They either work or they don't, and the end user has no control over that.

Feel free to send me a PM if you want more specific info.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/15/2020 at 12:56 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Couple things:

With no-name Chinese boxes, you have to be careful, because they often will not have the required DRM (digital rights management) coding to allow them to properly access services like Netflix and others. Since often those services aren't available in China where the boxes are made and sold.

I have the original MiBox3 international version and it works fine finally now after many rounds of OS updates and bug fixes. The newer MiBox S has pretty much the same specs, but a newer Android OS version. So I doubt the newer S version would be slow since my MiBox3 isn't.

Depending on how much western content the OP wants to access, a box or stick that works well with VPN services might be a factor. Android boxes all pretty much can install VPN apps by many of the major VPN providers. So can Amazon Fire TV devices. Roku devices, however, cannot.

At home now, I find I have ended up choosing to use Amazon Fire Stick 4Ks as my primary streaming devices  -- over my MiBox and Roku devices.

Very good performance, small, easy to use, very inexpensive especially if you buy during one of Amazon's periodic promotions. But better suited to folks who have Amazon accounts from the U.S., UK or elsewhere.

I’m about to cut the Truevision cord and do have an amazon account in the US but live here..where can I buy the fire stick 4k here? If not available I’m thinking about the newest xiomi box on Lazada. Any thoughts 

20 hours ago, ericg1953 said:

I’m about to cut the Truevision cord and do have an amazon account in the US but live here..where can I buy the fire stick 4k here? If not available I’m thinking about the newest xiomi box on Lazada. Any thoughts 

If you are in Bangkok and would like to buy in a store, projector 108 in Fortune town on the 3rd floor has just received new stock and has the firesticks in stock.

The 4k 1.5gb fire stick for 2990, and the normal hd fire stick 1gb version for about 2350 baht.

They also have different Roku versions.

For a mibox s 2gb can be updated to Android 9 version are available in the mi stores in mbk and other places for about 1700 baht.

There is also the new mi TV stick available online in shopee but it is only the 1gb had version for about 1490 baht.

All the above can be purchased online from Lazada or shopee

Amazon fire stick are pretty locked up but everything works, Netflix, Amazon prime.

Mibox s is a little more open and one can use usb devices easily but Amazon prime app seems to have trouble, Netflix works and other apps can be easily sideloaded.

Check the AndroidTV, fire stick, and mibox forums on reddit.

Edited by userabcd

I have a new very good TV, but it is not a "smart" TV. I need an android "smart" TV box to be able to get Netflix, YouTube and hopefully western news, etc

You don't need an android smart TV box at all. Your tablet would suffice, even your mobile phone, together with a VPN app.

On 5/15/2020 at 7:17 AM, Mama Noodle said:

In my opinion there's really only 2 options if one cares about picture quality and sound quality, and that you can easily download and use VPN apps. 

Fire TV 4k

Nvidia Shield. 

I use the Nvidia Shield, but ive had about 5-6 other boxes before finally giving up and spending the money on a quality player. Worth every penny, but Fire TV Stick 4K is also good. 

BUT if one doesn't have a UHD TV, then it doesn't really matter. Basic Fire TV Stick is ok

Agree with this.. Tho would add we will get a Mi Stick in the next week or two and a Google android TV / Chromecast mashup device in the next months.. Both of which fall into the androidTV camp and are likely worth attention. 

I personally prefer the Amazon FireSticks (despite the push for prime and amazon ads on the homepage) due to the simple fact of CEC control of the TV so that on / off / volume etc all falls into one remote. Its a simple thing but makes much more ease of use and wife friendly. Also theres still no iPlayer app for AndroidTV (shield has a custom one) and there is on Amazon.

Plus they are so cheap.. On a sale day you can get them for 40 - 50 bucks, add one for every tv in the house. 

Just buy one from lazada 2000 baht will get a good one look for 4 gigs ram, newer android operating system and a decent processor.  Read the comments and reviews from buyers pick one with a lot of postiives.  You are good to go.  If you have ever used andorid on your phone this is the same thing.  No need to make it rocket science. 

23 hours ago, ericg1953 said:

I just bought one on lazada the other day and with express vpn/tor guard it works flawlessly in the bedroom. 

Hulu, Prime, Netflix 

Only thing that kinda sucks is that it’s WiFi only and the lan cable adapter only supports 10/100 speeds. 

still works great though. 

48 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

I just bought one on lazada the other day and with express vpn/tor guard it works flawlessly in the bedroom. 

Hulu, Prime, Netflix 

Only thing that kinda sucks is that it’s WiFi only and the lan cable adapter only supports 10/100 speeds. 

your speed is limited for all international sites coming in here so faster speeds will make no difference

1 hour ago, Mama Noodle said:

Hulu, Prime, Netflix 

For a Full HD live stream you need 15 Mbps, so even if you should get the full 100 Mbps that your Ethernet adapter is limited to, that would be 85 Mbps of excessive speed

9 hours ago, Susco said:

For a Full HD live stream you need 15 Mbps, so even if you should get the full 100 Mbps that your Ethernet adapter is limited to, that would be 85 Mbps of excessive speed

I have a gigabit connection with a UHD TV and UHD/4K Subscriptions to Netflix etc and running a vpn on such a small device with very little processing power vastly slows the internet speeds. 

However with that said it still works and is worth the money, albeit slow at first. 

10 hours ago, tlandtday said:

your speed is limited for all international sites coming in here so faster speeds will make no difference

Not true. Speeds through my Nvidia Shield connected via LAN with vpn enabled are around 3 to 4 times faster than my Fire stick. 

I have a 1000 mbps connection. 

2 hours ago, Mama Noodle said:

I have a gigabit connection with a UHD TV and UHD/4K Subscriptions to Netflix etc and running a vpn on such a small device with very little processing power vastly slows the internet speeds. 

However with that said it still works and is worth the money, albeit slow at first. 

Full HD needs 15 Mbps

UHD on Netflix needs 25 Mbps and for Live streams in UHD you need probably double that, but not sure if you will find many Live streams in UHD.

So your 100 Mbps Ethernet is more than sufficient for that

A decent paid VPN will not slow down your speed, a cheap or free vpn will slow down and sell your data as well.

If you have a decent paid VPN you can select WireGuard protocol which is very light weight.

If your WIFI is slow get powerline adapters which will give you the same speed as connected by LAN.

2 hours ago, Mama Noodle said:

running a vpn on such a small device with very little processing power vastly slows the internet speeds. 

I don't know which box you bought, but all Android boxes are not equal, so the cheapest one will not give you same processing power as one that cost a bit more. Sometimes better to spend 1000 or 2000 Baht more and get something decent.

A box that has UHD written in the spec, and it is not just a blatant sales lie, should have ample processing power for VPN or whatever you install on it.

10 minutes ago, Susco said:

A decent paid VPN will not slow down your speed

Fake news. It will slow down speeds and it will slow it down further running on little devices with little processing power. Like a fire stick. 

Ive got 2 paid vpns. Express vpn and tor guard static IP streaming bundle. 

14 minutes ago, Susco said:

I don't know which box you bought,

You haven’t read my posts then. Maybe try that first. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, delgarcon said:

Forgot to ask, is the fact that it's the US version significant if I want to watch English TV?

You’ll need a vpn and knowledge on how to use it. 

Yes I have one and yes it’s a “us version” one and it works ok for everything with a vpn, although it’s a little slow. 

• 2 weeks later...

mibox is my choice of primary needs. It is quite affordable and the quality is good, it can install apk applications and run them smoothly. I installed a cinema hd apk and a VPN to be able to watch popular movies, it ran in parallel two applications that rarely interrupted. Try it out if you haven't found a smart box like that.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, leroygreer said:

mibox is my choice of primary needs. It is quite affordable and the quality is good, it can install apk applications and run them smoothly. I installed a cinema hd apk and a VPN to be able to watch popular movies, it ran in parallel two applications that rarely interrupted. Try it out if you haven't found a smart box like that.

It doesn't have an ethernet port does it ?.................... and only one usb port.

On 5/17/2020 at 6:13 PM, bkk6060 said:

You must have an old TV or poor/slow internet?

I live in a modern building with a Smart TV everything from my Android box is in HD and high quality.

You are right to a certain extent as the comment you responded to was wrong.

But the availability of streaming links is not about "poor/slow internet". I get links that are up in the 12 - 15Gb range, many of which are Netflix. I do not have a particularly good internet so I have no chance whatsoever of playing those links, would just run for a couple of minutes and stop.

The internet tends to vary with local load and some times I can get away with up to 2Gb but at other times maybe only 7/800Mb, have to pick a link that suits.